Profile for Paul Jones > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
All The Best
All The Best

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Really What I Had in Mind, 3 Jan. 2005
This review is from: All The Best (Audio CD)
I have been a Tina fan for many years, and when I heard news of this album I was pleased. The album has a good selection of songs, more than simply the best did (though this was a good album). The choice of songs could have been a little different though, as I feel some were left of that were essential, and others on the album that simply should not have been.
One of her biggest hits from my early teens was 'Whatever You Want', I remember this as it had a huge impact at the time. Also from the wildest dreams album were 'Something Beautiful Reamains' and 'In Your Wildest Dreams', although good tracks, they just did not in my opinion reach the same status.
From the 'Foreign Affair' album the tile track for me stood out also and deserved a place on this album (also from this album I will never understand why 'Ask Me How I Feel' was never a single)
I was pleased to see tracks from the 'Break Every Rule' album, though again no title track.
Another song which I thought realy should have been on the album was 'One of the Living'.
Anyway to get to the point, I would have liked a few additions, though the album is good listening, it has the rock ballards, the love songs, the catchy pop songs and three new tracks which are Tina down to the T. We all know Tina Turner and what to expect, if you are a fan this will be one of your fav albums, if not it is probably the best compilation if you fancy buing an album.
The booklet is not very impressive, no lyrics, no facts, no biography or discography, no mention to the fans, just those who worked on her albums...oh and an exhaustive note on copyright issues!
Hard to give five stars but what the hell, it is a good buy, and more to the point it is Tina :)

The Real T: My 22 Years with Tina Turner
The Real T: My 22 Years with Tina Turner
by Eddy Armani

5.0 out of 5 stars A real insight into the life of Tina Turner, 21 Dec. 2004
Reading a lot of reviews on this book, I have read a lot of negative things, mainly people feeling that this book in some way is an insult to Tina, well now here is an honest opinion that is not distorted by my following of Tina's work.
This book gives a true look at the life of Tina, the side that the cameras have not seen. Through reading the pages of Eddies book, you will learn that like Eddy and anyone else who is human, Tina is just as vunerable and has needs of her own, and sometimes makes the wrong choices in her personal life (blocking out some the people who matter the most). I personally believe this to be caused through the life she had with Ike, it seems she will put up barriers to try and keep happiness around her and not let herself be hurt, and this can backfire.
Eddy was a close friend of Tina for many years, they had a beautiful friendship, and shared many good and hard times together, and he stood by her through thick and thin, and she was good to him.
But there friendship was not too last, not because either did anything wrong, it was just circumstances that came between them, and a fine friendship was lost. I really do feel sad for them both, and can only thank Eddy for sharing the real Tina with those who are interested, and giving us an insight into his life with Tina and the bond that they shared.
This book truely is an amazing read, and I would highly reccommend it.

Mad Max Beyond Thunder

5.0 out of 5 stars Glory Days, and to think EMI nearly dropped her!, 2 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Mad Max Beyond Thunder (Audio CD)
What can I say, this was one of Tina's happiest days and it certainly comes out in the music. Around this time they got the go ahead for the 'private dander' album, Tina gets her first number one (whats love got to do with it), and on the same day she got the call to say she was number one she found out she got the part in Mad Max Three! What a tiresom day! Anyway, with that part along came two of my favourite songs, two songs that Tina made timeless for me and no doubt a lot of others. 'We Don't Need Another Hero' and 'One Of The Living', both of which are on this album. The best thing is, this is the only album which has the full length version of both songs, and we don't need another hero really sounds better in full, you hear the song for what it truely is, AMAZING. Also you get to hear the excellent music arrangements in the instrumental, most impressive. If you are a Tina fan this is a must have, if you are not you wil still like it. Can you imagine how much happier Tina was when she heard it played back, man I would have loved to see her face, Tina you rock!

Toca
Toca
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars ********There isn't a better dance album out there!********, 2 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Toca (Audio CD)
Toca's mirical was fantasdtic, everytime you need me is fantastic and You are alive is even better. This album truely is amazing, it is different throughout and is excellent listening whatever the mood or occasion. its magic, buy it. if you like dance you will love fragma.

Tina Turner: Foreign Affair [VHS]
Tina Turner: Foreign Affair [VHS]
VHS
Offered by qualityfilmsfromuk

5.0 out of 5 stars It is Simply Tina, 2 Mar. 2004
you know her her sound and you know if you like her. This video contains 4 songs from the foreign affair album, with a variety of songs from Tina while being simply her best, it was a good album and had tacky videoes for the songs that were considered good at the time. This is worth having just to look back on, even if you don't play it. And if you are a big fan and don't own it yet, you shiould slap yourself for being so slow! If you want to buy an album, this or simply the best (Tina's greatest hits) would be a good start, they show her for the true goddes that she is.

Very best of Patsy Cline
Very best of Patsy Cline
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Patsy what more do you need., 2 Mar. 2004
You all should know what she sounds like, and if you don't she sounds like a country singer but better, no offence cos I like my country music. If you like country music then you know what to expect, and I am sure you have seen hundreds of Patsy compilations already though this one is better than the majority I have seen. If you are new to country, then Patsy would probably be a good start, though you should probably start with an album that has some other songs like 'Sweet Dreams', 'Crazy' and 'I Fall To Pieces'. these seem to be more well known and kind of ease you into it as they are a bit pop as well, well in my opinion. The best album I ever came accross was '20 Greatest Hits on the Grand Canyon record label' However this was an old one and it was on vinyl, I have never found a CD version or even the vinyl since I was a kid, but if you find it anywhere it is a must have. And if you do buy her, I don't believe you will be dissapointed, she has the voice of an angel. A county and western angel that is!!!

Born in the USA
Born in the USA
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars It rocks!, 2 Mar. 2004
This review is from: Born in the USA (Audio CD)
If you like high energy music that is not too harsh and like songs with rythem and a voice that doesn't need every effect discovered and still sounds good, then scrool up and click buy! Bruce springsteen has and unbelievable voice, it is powerful, full of energy and instantly puts you in a good mood, the music is fantastic. some tracks are more upbeat than others, but for the style of music I am shocked how different some tracks are from others. if your teens were in the 80's or now there will be a song on here that you will like, unless you totally despise Bruce, and the chances of that are??? Go on nuy it, you know you wanna!

5.0 out of 5 stars buy it!, 28 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Mad Max Beyond Thunder (Audio CD)
This album doesn't have a lot to it, that much has to be said. though I consider it to be possibly one of the best soundtracks that you could wish to own. This album displays Tina at what I think is probably very close to her best if not at it. She really rips through both tracks and makes you feel what she is singing, and then there is the instrumental of 'We don't need another hero' which simply sends a chill through you, it is cleverly arranged music and a master piece at that. Also this is probably now the only album that has the full version of 'we don't need another hero', and this is the only version where you hear the song for what it truly is, amazing! And if you are a Tina fan, shame on you if you don't have it already!!!

Amanda Lear
Amanda Lear

5.0 out of 5 stars If you like Amanda it is worth buying, 28 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Amanda Lear (Audio CD)
If you know Amanda's style and you like it then this compilation would sit nicely with your collection. The remix of 'Follow Me' does not live up to the original, but then none ever will! There is a mix of songs that are from a few of the other albums and they do sound good together. If you are new to Amanda you should try 'Sweet Revenge' or 'Amanda '98, Follow Me Back In My Arms'. Sweet Revenge is her personal favourite and it stands out from the rest, however the 98 album has some good remixes and is more modern.

Heaven & Hell
Heaven & Hell

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget other reviews, this album is a true piece of art work, 28 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Heaven & Hell (Audio CD)
I once had this album and have just bought it again, it is possibly one of the most electrifying set of vocals you will hear on one album! With Bonnie Tyler's total eclipse and have you ever seen the rain sending shivers down your back, and Meatloaf's piercing vocals making your hair stand on end, you can't go wrong. This album is truly amazing and is one you can play repeatedly. Should you be a fan of one or the other, here you will love both. They do not sing together but they do not need to (although that would be good to listen to) they have everything they need on there own, I would recommend this to anyone who is a true music fan, and if you are new to either of the two this is the perfect album to start with. I give top marks to them both! Well done.

Page: 1 | 2