Profile for A Satisfied-Customer > Reviews

Content by A Satisfied-Cu...

A Satisfied-Customer

Page: 1 | 2
Changing Gear: A Bike Ride from Britain to Bulgaria
Changing Gear: A Bike Ride from Britain to Bulgaria

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than just a story of a bike ride, 13 Oct. 2014
A delightful book. A beautiful, tender and honest account of a journey along the road not only to Bulgaria but also to finding a way to cope with the loss of a beloved son. As a female cyclist of similar age, living in Northumberland and gradually becoming braver about tackling a variety of terrains (hills!) and distances, I could easily identify with the physical challenges Eileen faced; on the subject of bereavement, my losses have not been so severe, but her story touched my heart and I feel the greatest respect for the way she, her husband, family and friends have been able to support each other through a horrible sadness.

Earol Ear Wax Remover Olive Oil Spray 10 ml
Earol Ear Wax Remover Olive Oil Spray 10 ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent way to tackle a messy problem, 30 Aug. 2013
This is the second time I've ordered this product - It works gently but effectively and is easy to use.

The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are
The Book: On the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing and strangely enjoyable, 28 April 2013
Amazing to think this was published so long ago. Some of his comments on the way life (in 1966) was going seem incredibly prophetic. At first I didn't think I'd be able to get far with it but I was drawn along by his ability to relieve the super-complex theses with humour and humility. I feel the richer in some indefinable way for reading this.

Great British Bike Rides: 40 Classic Routes for Road Cyclists
Great British Bike Rides: 40 Classic Routes for Road Cyclists
by Dave Barter

5.0 out of 5 stars I had thought I was buying this as a present... but NO WAY - I'm keeping it for myself!, 2 April 2013
Great British Bike Rides: 40 Classic Routes for Road Cyclists is totally different from Dave's earlier book, 'Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder'Obsessive Compulsive Cycling Disorder, (which I loved) and I really didn't think it would be for me since I'm a 60+ grandmother who's only been a relatively active cyclist for the past couple of years and very unlikely to do anything marked more than 'average'/'moderate'; I had planned to give 'Great British Bike Rides' to my keen cycling brother for his birthday later this month but now I'm going to have to order another copy as HE'S NOT HAVING THIS ONE. Why? Because it's a good-looking, well-written, well-organised, full-colour book that is utterly seductive and I'm not only going to keep it but use it too. I've worked out that, even if I never do a whole ride in one go, I can almost certainly use it to do parts of rides - the bits that are not likely to put me into an early grave through over-exertion.

Although initially a bit concerned about the small size of the typeface, I am lucky to have specs that cope well and I find the text sufficiently dark, with clear san-serif font so it's proving not to be a problem.

'OCCD' inspired me not only thanks to the sheer exuberant lunacy of Dave but also by his sincere passionate advocacy for the glories of cycling - I've ridden many more miles in the past year thanks to it. Now with this latest book I've discovered that Dave's not just entertaining - he has what it takes to create a work that will bring pleasure to anyone who loves the amazing variety of terrain in Britain and who wants encouragement and guidance to explore it for themselves. It's been fun during the past year to read Dave's [...] blog in which he has described the gestation of this precious baby of his. I feel I've been given some idea just what a labour of love it has been for the whole Barter family and offer them hearty congratulations on its successful delivery!

Scotland: A Concise History (Illustrated National Histories)
Scotland: A Concise History (Illustrated National Histories)
by Fitzroy Maclean

2.0 out of 5 stars So concise it ends up being boring and vague, 25 Jan. 2013
How can any history book NOT have footnotes? I find the lack of these irritating if not downright uninformative. The fact that it's 'concise' also leads to the narrative being unremitting in it's giving of Facts/Names/Dates and all I'm left with is an overall impression of carnage which makes me wonder why/how anyone survived or could be bothered to go on living in such inhospitable areas (both north & south of today's borders). I'm left feeling ever more disgusted by man's inhumanity to man - a general criticism of all sides. No surprises then that the Scots (or the Irish for that matter) haven't got over it all and that the English seem to have a general ability to deal with it by denial for the part they played in it all. You may gather by this that I've only got halfway through (start of 18th century) and don't think I can face any more...

Endura Spectrum Sunglasses Soft Tint Semi Mirror Blue
Endura Spectrum Sunglasses Soft Tint Semi Mirror Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality but a bit big for me, 25 Jan. 2013
I like these but find they're too loose so can only wear them if wearing my helmet and tucking the arms of them under my helmet straps.

The Killing - Series 1-3 [DVD]
The Killing - Series 1-3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sofie Gråbøl

5.0 out of 5 stars Blisteringly good, 25 Jan. 2013
I was put off watching this when it was on the TV by the title first and foremost (not keen on watching overtly violent scenes and the title suggested somehow there'd be a lot of that). However, I was more tempted after having watched the Swedish Wallander series (admittedly with eyes closed/ears blocked at times) and The Millenium Trilogy films (more eye/ear blocking!). But they were cracking good stories with excellent acting, so thought we'd give this a go. Well, my only criticism is that we're finding it difficult to limit ourselves to one or two episodes at a time - the other night we watched four on the trot... We're half way through series one now and totally gripped by the story's interweaving ebb and flow - I just hope the wrapping up of the story in the last episode won't be a damp squib but feel optimistic that it won't be... otherwise buying series 2 & 3 won't seem to have been such a good idea!

Free Country: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain: A Penniless Adventure the Length of Britain
by George Mahood

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a good laugh - It's heart-warming too..., 21 Dec. 2012
This has been a delight and I'm only sorry I read it so greedily which meant it was over far too soon. I've thoroughly enjoyed spending time with George and Ben on their journey (though probably have benefitted from having their company at one remove as I'd imagine, what with the wind problems and general lack of washing, that getting too close to them would have been a mixed blessing. But plenty of people overcame any fastidiousness to be enormously and sometimes bizarrely kind to them and it's so cheering to know that this is still possible in the 21st century. Well done for a great idea and a really fun book. You are OFFICIALLY a very clever lad and I hope you'll be following it up with other treats for us...

Eddingtons Flexible Chopping Boards, Set of 4
Eddingtons Flexible Chopping Boards, Set of 4

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I've bought some as Christmas presents, 11 Dec. 2012
These mats are really excellent; bendy but sturdy, with a very effective anti-slip backing. When the previous rather flimsy ones I'd been using collapsed at last (after a couple of years of frequent use) I was keen to get something similar but these are a marvellous replacement and will, I suspect, last much longer with a bit of care. The instructions say don't submerge them when washing and I imagine this is to preserve the backing, but it's easy to give them a good scrub and then hold them under a tap to rinse off. Like them enough to give to some of the cooks in our family for Christmas!

SealSkinz Ladies Winter Cycle Glove - M
SealSkinz Ladies Winter Cycle Glove - M

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely warm gloves - if not taking too much exercise, 11 Dec. 2012
The first time I rode out wearing these my hands stayed lovely and warm until they grew clammy; at that point the inner lining was sticking so firmly to my fingers that, careful as I was, the inside of the gloves turned inside-out when I took them off. Eventually coaxed the finger-linings back into the glove, with the help of a chopstick. Since then have just worn them when taking fairly gentle walks and they really keep out the cold - but couldn't recommend them if doing anything energetic.

Page: 1 | 2