Profile for tina-s@martham15.freeserve.co.uk > Reviews

Content by tina-s@martham...

tina-s@martham15.freeserve.co.uk (Norfolk, England)

Q-in-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Q-in-Law (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
by Peter David

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - good combination of Lwaxana Troi and Q!, 22 Mar 2002
Overall, I thought this was a very good book, although it was a bit slow starting on the first few pages, but I am glad that I persisted with it as it definately got better. The combination of Lwaxana Troi and Q is brilliant. She certainly brings him down a peg or two, and at least he gets her away from Picard for a while!!
The Enterprise is to host a wedding ceremony for the Tizarin races. Lwaxana Troi is representing Betazed and Q is an uninvited guest, who brings the wedding parties to the brink of war. Luckily Lwaxana manages to save the day, but I won't say how!
The best comment in the book is when Q says to Picard "Jean-Luc, get some hair, your brain is getting cold!" I thought this was brilliant, and still laugh about it now!
I am new to the novels, but I am certainly going to purchase more now! Good reading. I completed the book in 3 days!

Immortal Coil (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
Immortal Coil (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
by Jeffrey Lang
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Brillant - I literally could not put the book down, 4 Mar 2002
I have always loved Data, and so when I was recommended this book based on his character, I couldn't wait to get it. I was a bit sceptical at first, as I did not believe it would be as good as the series, having never read one of the novels before. How wrong I was! I found this was well written and related to both the Original Series and The Next Generation perfectly. Once I started reading, I could not put the book down, and read it from cover to cover in one night, although I only ended up getting 2 hours sleep!
The book gives an insight into the creation of Artifical Intelligence, and sees Data coping with the emotion of grief, the fact that he may not "die" for a long time, developing intuition, finding love, and discovering that no matter how long he will live, he should make every moment he has count. This is a great motto for all of us.
I found this book utterly exciting, and a must for die hard fans like me! I was glad that Data had finally been given a plausible love interest, although the bit where she is trying to save him, and exposes her real identity at that time had me on the edge of my seat. This book is a definate must have!
Keep on Trekking!

Star Trek The Next Generation - Vol. 4.4 [VHS] [1990]
Star Trek The Next Generation - Vol. 4.4 [VHS] [1990]
VHS

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant - One of the best Trek videos I have ever seen!, 7 Feb 2002
The Loss - This episode focuses mainly on Councillor Troi, and how she copes with the temporary loss of her empathic abilities. Although I am not a great fan of hers, I found this to be well acted, believable, and I even ended up feeling sorry for her! The fact that Whoopi Goldberg makes an appearance as Guinan makes the video worth its weight in gold. She manages to persuade Troi that living on "instinct" is harder and just as important as being able to sense what people are feeling.
Data's Day - What can I say about this, except BRILLIANT! This episode is worth the price of the video on its own. Data drafts a letter to Commander Bruce Maddox at the Daystrom Institute recalling a "typical" day for him (although I don't know why seeing as he tried to have Data disassembled)! I particularly liked the scenes where Data expresses to Troi his desire to one day marry - hands up who wants that position!!!! - and where Dr Crusher teaches him to dance. EXCELLENT.
The Wounded brings the Cardassians to our screens. A Cardassian ship is attacked and destroyed by the starship Phoenix, and the Enterprise is sent to investigate. There mission is to retrieve the Phoenix and bring its captain back for justice. However, with the Cardassians being involved, things are never as they seem! This is also a very good episode and one that is well worth repeated watching.
Overall, I have only had the video a week and have watched the whole thing about 4 times already, and Data's Day about 6 times !!! BRILLIANT!!!!!

Offered by londonstorehouse
Price: 12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars One good episode, one great episode, one ok episode, 7 Feb 2002
Devil's due - I found this episode to be very entertaining, with the use of some very good special effects, especially when Ardra returns to claim her "dues" from Ventax II. However, Picard and the crew soon smell a rat - especially when Ardra tries to claim the Enterprise for herself - and they set out to prove that she is a fake. An episode that is well worthy of being watched over and over again.
Clues - In my opinion, I believe this is the best episode on the video. It is very entertaining, full of twists and turns, and makes you wonder whether Data is becoming as deceitful as Lore!!! This ties up all loose ends, and is Trek through and through. I found this episode kept me glued to my seat wondering what was going to happen, especially as I had never seen this episode before. This is definately worth a 4 star rating alone!
First Contact - I did not like this as much as the other two, as I found it to be a bit slow. Perhaps it was because it was with two other fast paced episodes! However, the bit where Riker is lying in an alien hospital, and it is touch and go whether or not he lives is quite entertaining. Luckily, the crew are able to save the day and they continue their journey, albeit with an additional passenger!
Overall, I found the video very entertaining and well worth watching, although I do tend to fast forward to Clues more often then not!!!

Offered by londonstorehouse
Price: 12.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - worth watching, 4 Feb 2002
This video can be summed up in one word - Excellent - It starts with "Devil's Due" - a very good episode using marvellous special effects. Ardra returns to Ventax II claim her due's after she has alledgedly brought peace to the planet for 1,000. However, she had not bet on Picard and the rest of the crew!
"Clues" can be summed up in one word - excellent. This episode contains some good acting and a good story line, that leaves no ends untide. The twist in the middle gives just the right touch - this episode was worth the price of the video on its own.
"First Contact" - I personally did not think this was as good as the other two, but it certainly was not bad. I think it was a bit of an anti-climax after the other two episodes. Riker is injured whilst on an observation mission. Luckily, the crew manage to beam him aboard before he dies.
Overall, a very good video. Well worth watching again and again.