Profile for Ebook Proofreader > Reviews

Content by Ebook Proofreader

Ebook Proofreader "Proofreader and Copy Editor, specialising in self-publishers' manuscripts" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
The King's Sister
The King's Sister

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to previous standards, 30 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The King's Sister (Kindle Edition)
Having read a couple of books by this author before, I expected to like this .... However I found it to be not particularly well written, and more importantly, the story did not interest me. I gave up and returned to it several times, but could not finish it. Elizabeth is not a sympathetic character, acting like a spoilt modern teenager when it comes to her putative relationship with John Holland - love, hate, obsession, swooning, more hate, etc, and in fact it came across as a flimsy 'Mils and Boon' type of romance. After a while I just didn't care anymore. None of the other characters came to life for me, except for a tantalising glimpse of Princess Joan (now there's an interesting character), and I found it tedious. I had previously enjoyed this author's work, but this book is not up to previous standards.

Reviewed in exchange for a preview Kindle copy.

The Restoration of Otto Laird
The Restoration of Otto Laird

3.0 out of 5 stars A gentle tale, 17 Dec. 2014
A gentle tale of an ageing architect who returns to one of his early creations, a brutalist concrete block in London. I've often thought that the people who designed that kind of monstrosity should be forced to live there, and in this book the architect indeed does that, if only for a few days, to participate in a TV documentary about the proposed demolition of said building. It's a story of his life, told mainly in flashbacks, and while not funny (as stated in the blurb), it is beautifully written, and a pleasant read.

Reviewed in exchange for a preview Kindle copy.

BULK POWDERS 1Kg Psyllium Husk Powder
BULK POWDERS 1Kg Psyllium Husk Powder

1.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what this was ..., 8 Dec. 2014
Very strange, unlike any other Psyillium I've ever had. Colour, taste, smell, texture, all made me wonder what it actually was. I have been taking Psyillium for about 5 years, and have never seen anything like this. The company were not very helpful and refused a refund (although they did offer to test the powder if I returned it at my expense, but I didn't feel there was any point as I had a good idea of what the result might be). I threw it away and bought more from a reputable supplier (Suma).

The Book of Strange New Things
The Book of Strange New Things

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent and highly recommended, 2 Dec. 2014
One of the most wonderful books I've read this year. I'd previously read 'The Crimson Petal and the White' by this author, so expected good writing, but this was amazing. The subject matter could not be further away (literally) from Victorian London, but it was fantastic, and I raced through it in a couple of days. While reading, I felt as if I too had been transported to that far-away world. The only minor criticism was that it would have been good to know a bit more about what was happening back on Earth, but perhaps that is too much to ask. Magnificent and highly recommended.

Knitting Stitch/Row Counter Mini Kacha Kacha
Knitting Stitch/Row Counter Mini Kacha Kacha
Offered by The Quilted Bear Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't I know about this sooner?, 2 Dec. 2014
Love it! Where has this been all my life? I use for knitting and crochet, for keeping score on quizzes, and I'm sure there must be many more uses. I like that it can be hung around the next or from a knitting bag etc.

Dovecraft A4 Felt Multiple Pack, Blue
Dovecraft A4 Felt Multiple Pack, Blue
Offered by Bombay Collections

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for the price, 2 Dec. 2014
Good quality for the price, synthetic felt which has a multitude of craft uses.

Speedy Network Steel Extendable Net Rod, White, 150 - 200 Cm
Speedy Network Steel Extendable Net Rod, White, 150 - 200 Cm
Offered by Linens Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, neat solution to hanging net or voile curtains ..., 2 Dec. 2014
Good, neat solution to hanging net or voile curtains at a small window. Bought for UPVC windows as I did not want to make holes in them, but the stick-on support hooks (bought separately) are not strong enough, except for perhaps a very small window with a very lightweight fabric. It's necessary to glue the holders onto the door, in my case, a kitchen door where I wish to pull the curtain back during the day. The only problem would be trying to remove these holders when the time comes ... anyhow, a neat solution at a good price (and I can't think of an alternative).

Speedy Network Steel Extendable Net Rod, White, 40 - 60 Cm
Speedy Network Steel Extendable Net Rod, White, 40 - 60 Cm
Offered by Linens Limited

The Kalahari Typing School For Men (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series Book 4)

5.0 out of 5 stars Another charming instalment i, 2 Dec. 2014
Another charming instalment in the No 1 Ladies Detective Agency series, this continues the gentle adventures of Mma Ramotswe and her assistant. We learn a little more about her home life, and Mma Makutsi, the able assistant, starts a new venture of her own. It's the usual gentle, humorous mixture that we expect from Mr McCall Smith, and he doesn't disappoint.

5m BENDABLE CURTAIN TRACK FOR STRAIGHT & BAY WINDOW RAIL Enough for 3 Standard Windows, Top or Face Fix all Fixings
Offered by ABC Decor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value and quality product., 2 Dec. 2014
Good value and quality product. This has done two large windows, and has ample fitments and hooks. The only minor criticism is that it is difficult to get the track to be completely flat - tried the hot water, hairdryer etc but it's still not flat. However, I don't think anyone would notice unless they looked at it side on.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19