Profile for Scarhurzt > Reviews

Content by Scarhurzt

Scarhurzt "if you got a problem with my review then jus go back to your corner!!!" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Daydream Nation
Daydream Nation

5.0 out of 5 stars Hyper Album!, 20 Oct. 2008
This review is from: Daydream Nation (Audio CD)
Recently i have listened to alot of new music, especially alternative music such as the Smiths, Pixies, R.E.M, Muse, Radiohead. And one thing I have noticed is that alternative music has a very wide range of intricate music within it.

Another thing I have noticed is that no good alternative band sounds like another. Sonic Youth don't 'sound' like anyone else ever. Inspired by VU's minimalist melodies and produced with the 80's guitar ethic of 'heavy is best' means this album is set up to be a drab and dreary ordeal. But it isn't, in fact it is absolutely fantastic.

Though at first listening it is only impressive the second will have you stunned. The album mixes both origional texture and guitar tone and timbre with insightful lyrics which cynically satirise 'gen-x' and are sung with the scornful voices of Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon. All the tracks evoke a different sense of the apathetic attitudes of the 80's and 90's.

The music is quite engaing and listening to this should be done in one sitting ie. no skipping tracks, no listening to one track only. Engage your mind slightly and you will enjoy this album emmensly.

Half-Life 2 (DVD ROM)
Half-Life 2 (DVD ROM)
Offered by Love-Your-Books

5.0 out of 5 stars ........out of this world, 5 May 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Half-Life 2 (DVD ROM) (Video Game)
The game that had taken me 4 years to get round to playing finaly managed to catch my eye and now I see why this is the best game ever. Just fantastic, simply stunning words cannot describe fully the capacity this game holds to entertain. Perfect in almost every way and puts far, far to many fps's to bitter shame. Why is it good: beautiful graphics, ground breaking physics engine, great sounds, mind blowing environments, brilliant scenery, enthralling storeyline: everything about this game is just awesome. It is just the right length too: not too long and not too short. It has also succeeded in being the first game i have ever replayed.
The enemies are enticingly spooky: from the masked combine with their "electrical speaker" like voices that give you that andrenaline rush before every fight with them to the ghastly wail of the zombies. The game also has such an open feel to it, though you pass through the game on a set route you always get the feel that you could have gone so many other ways. The gameplay is magnificent: weapons are perfectly balanced to suit your needs and controls are easy to use.
The puzzles along the way are not too puzzling that they distract you from the threat of there being a Zombie round the corner and the enemies are not completely terrifying but scary enough to make you reload every corner you turn.
A massive advance in gaming technology and standards is MMO's hav to live up to WoW and RTS's to CoH then fps's hav to live up to this.

Under the Iron Sea
Under the Iron Sea
Offered by MediaMerchants

4.0 out of 5 stars Its good but not great..., 12 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Under the Iron Sea (Audio CD)
Hopes and Fears was most certainly a fantastic platform with which Keane propelled themselves into the music industry: critical aclaim and fame at home and abroad what more could a budding band want??? And so it is about 1 and a half years since their second album came out and here i am giving my two pence worth 1 & 1/2 years too late. Second albums are tough for many bands: most of the reserve of good ideas has been put into the first album and coming up with new material is not the easiest of things to do successfully. Keane however have managed, quite competantly, to produce a second album that does easily manage to live up to the standards of the first. Expecting a gem of an album i sat myself down and played the first track "Atlantic" and was quite simply blown away. It seemed a whole new Keane was playing a track that you would expect to find elsewhere...mabey on a Radiohead album...in the less keane like area of music to be blunt. Atlantic had me excited straight away as I anticipated a new keane sound The experiance did not continue as "Is it any wonder" brought me straigh back to Keane piano rock territory. From there on the Album kept up a good flow until "Crystal Ball" where once again i was blown away. Another other worldly track that is haunting and yet beautiful: the songs were all good and it's a very likeable album on the whole but I cannot say it has connected with me as it has with many other people. The lyrics are deep and interesting to listen too and the vocals are quite impressive at times in "Broken Toy" and as always are majestic and flawless in all songs. I think it could be because of my late purchase of this album and that I have not found it special yet or it may be because "In Rainbows" has been in my playlist for a few months now but I feel Keane lack something that would make this album special. Overall it is definately worth adding to your collection. A great follow up and what i can only assume to be a greatly improving band.
Would be a [4.2/5] The best tracks are: Atlantic, Bad Dream, Crystal Ball for me personally.
In conclusion it's big thumbs up from me :)

In Rainbows
In Rainbows

5.0 out of 5 stars What a stunning album!, 15 Feb. 2008
This review is from: In Rainbows (Audio CD)
" Radiohead are running short on ideas." was the scentence that i had to very quickly eat with as much dignity and repentace as I could muster after listening to this album. FANTASTIC. What an achievement. i thought that OK Computer could never be matched but here is proof that it is not only possible but quite probably going to be done again. The songs all have a very Radiohead quality that makes them special. Mystical synthesizers provide an out of world feel to this album whilst not drowning the musician's instrumentals. Guitaring especially is simplistic but exellent and vocals and lyrics are reaching new levels of exellence. Thom Yorke's haunting vocals send shivers down my spine. The greatest songs in my opinion being Reckoner, House of Cards, Nude and Weird Fishes/Arpeggi. I believe that many Radiohead fans will not agree with me but I firmly believe this to be one of Radioheads greatest achievements. This will surely go down in the annals of music as THE best album of 2007 and 2008 (it really deserves 2 years dedicated to it).

The Very Best Of The Jam
The Very Best Of The Jam

4.0 out of 5 stars Punk rocks owners, 29 Oct. 2007
Whatever people tell me about the ramones: i always say that these guys defined punk music. Still today The Jam is a classic band that will always have a place in my album collection. This CD however is overdoing everything. Punk rock albums are usually very short and having to listen to 20 songs that do all sound extremely simmilar can get tedious. More than this I believe that punk bands very designed for live performances: they had a great attitude to live acts which made them amazing to listen to. The CD takes the heart out of this genre and for that i mark it down. Also there are a few songs could have done without.
81/100

Battlefield 2142 (PC DVD)
Battlefield 2142 (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameseek

4.0 out of 5 stars Tch....., 26 Sept. 2007
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Well yeah 'Tch' is exactly what i thought after playing my first round in 2142. Not only does 'tch' capture my reaction at the time it also gives a good description of what it's like altogether.
The Battlefield series created a genre that has captivated hundreds of thousands of players and after 2 stunning examples of how these games should be designed we come up to the third in the series: its 1000+ years in the future, its freezing (new ice age), the only hospitable place left on earth is Africa, Europeans and Asians are fighting to secure equatorial Africa. Sounds good when you hear it and the prospect of romping round levels in mechanical walkers and hovering tanks is very appealing.
Well, i'll just go ahead and burst your bubble: its not as good as I had thought.
Titan mode is what makes this game a pain. Taking out a huge floating hunk of metal is not quite as dull as it sounds but gets far to repetative too soon. It also distracts too many players who would best put their time and effort into actually getting stuck in with some action. Conquest adds more of a Battlefield 2 type verbe to this game and is in fact much more entertaining (i guess you can't loose with a winning style). The gameplay is fast paced and action packed and maps tend to be smaller and more urban based than BF2. Overall it gives the feel of a very cityfight conflict and fighting down the streets of Belgrede is good fun.
The ranking system has changed slightly to reward ranking up more directly with new unlockable items and bonuses. So what is it that makes this game the weakest of the series so far???
Its that its not got that WOW factor BF1942 and BF2 had when we played our first round. It hasn't got the new and improved look we wanted. Sure its new but not improved just good. Also it's those little things like: one account per CD key game which is extremely annoying and the fact that though the veichles are pleasant to drive they cause far too much damage and are far too easy to destroy; walkers especially, which is a great shame.
Possibly I am being a little harsh but my verdict is:
83/100: A good game but overshadowed by its bigger brothers and not as good as i'd hoped.

Low
Low

4.0 out of 5 stars Depends what bowie you like., 21 Sept. 2007
This review is from: Low (Audio CD)
I always tell people to buy the bowie hits first, mainly because there are so many styles in bowies basket it is difficult to give someone a bowie album and expect them to like it. For me this album isn't so great. But thats just my taste in Bowie. I preffer the Ziggy Stardust and Alladin Sane with a bit of Man who sold the world and Diamond Dogs on the side. So here's my verdict: if you're new to his work go for best of or greatest hits and work from there. If you are into Heroes and Lodger go ahead. If you preffer bowies later work you will find this pleasing. If you are a Classics fan treat with caution: you might find your not such a big fan of the Berlin Trilogy.

Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior (PC CD)
Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior (PC CD)
Offered by McArdle Office Supplies

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor., 25 Aug. 2007
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Ok i just shot a soldier 15 times with what looks like quite a powerful laser gun and he seems to be fine: what gives? Wait a minute this soldier has just taken another 15 rounds to the gullet and seems in tip top shape! So much so he's slaughtering me as we speak! Sounds great huh! Well in case you're not accquainted with sarcasm I will end your pain by saying that this game isn't very good. Aside from invincible Space Marines dull levels, inaccurate weapons and unknown objectives make this game quite a challenge to play. It's not terrible: the graphics are okay and there's nothing wrong with the story line but I've just ran out of bullets for my gun and this damned Space marine is still alive and kicking (litterally).

Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PSP)
Syphon Filter: Dark Mirror (PSP)
Offered by simplesimon1966

5.0 out of 5 stars Exellent., 25 Aug. 2007
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I still have a few problems with the PSP's games that have been released so far: most of them are either A) scaled down versions of better games on PS or B) completely unimaginative linear designs that just don't really impress. This game would fall into category A but that is not a bad thing because this is the best thing that has happened to the PSP since Untold Ledgends.

Based in the near future Syphon filter takes you through missions playing as a sort of CORPS specialist who basically does everything the governments all over the world are to lazy to do. You will be exploring bases, manufacturing plants, battlefields and even a small desert town.

The game itself just about gives what we all need : a decent, well designed, simple but effective 3rd person shooter that isn't afraid to show off the PSP's capabilities. Levels are inventive , interesting and not to complex which allows for far greater playability than the Rainbow 6 and Ghost recon games. The graphics are exellent and controls are just right for the PSP. This topped of with a decent multiplayer makes for the best game the PSP has seen to date
94/100 Must have psp game.

EverQuest II (PC/DVD)
EverQuest II (PC/DVD)
Offered by Satsumo

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so good!, 24 Aug. 2007
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: EverQuest II (PC/DVD) (Video Game)
My review is me being as fair as I can be. Several problems with installation and starting up this game instantly put me off it. when i played I also found the crowd extremely unhelpful and found the task of returning to my spirit shards tedious. Not only this but several months after supposedly cutting my subscription I am still paying for this game for some reason. Do yourself a favour and don't buy this game because its just not worth the hassle if you don't really like or want it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5