Profile for James Choma > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Machine And Soul
Machine And Soul

3.0 out of 5 stars A 50/50 CD, 21 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Machine And Soul (Audio CD)
This is not Gary Numan's best album. I think the Prince cover songs have a lot to do with the negativity sorrounding the CD. "1999" and "You Got the Look" sound strange and out of place. But there are a few brilliant moments on this CD:
1. Skin Game - a great mechanical sounding wall of sound!
2. Machine and Soul - Another good song amid the uninspired tracks.
3. I Wonder - a great ballad with wonderful lyrics
4. Cry - another awesome ballad
5. Generator - The song has a definite dance clubfeel, but it actually works.
The rest... well, it's just there. I'm a huge fan of Gary's music (I don't hate any of it) but I'd have to rank this one just below middle of the road.

Futuristic Dragon
Futuristic Dragon
Offered by EliteDigital UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Bolan in 1976, 21 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Futuristic Dragon (Audio CD)
Futuristic Dragon: After "Bolan's Zip Gun", this was a welcome return to form. This is the second album without the production talents of long time Producer Tony Visconti. Songs like "All Alone", "Calling All Destroyers", and "Jupiter Liar" sound very weak and underproduced; while songs like "Theme for a Dragon" and "New York City" demonstrate Bolan was getting much more comfortable in the Producer's chair amd put out good material. To me, the stand out track is the instrumental "Theme For a Dragon"; a powerhouse instrumental track that showcases a really good mix of violins, violas and cellos behind the band. There's some very good stuff on this CD!

Son of Schmilsson
Son of Schmilsson

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Nilsson's Very Best, 21 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Son of Schmilsson (Audio CD)
In my opinion, this is Nilsson at his peak. Witty, humourous songs with memorable words. Great music from a great songwriter.
Nilsson's albums often turned out to be "parties," consisting of a who's who among the popular musicians of the time. On this album, the talents of Harry Nilsson, Ringo Starr, Peter Frampton, and George Harrison are split out among different tracks.
Some of Nilsson's best songs are on the album: "Spaceman", "Take 54", "The Lottery Song"... there's no song on the album I don't like.
If you're looking for a sample of this late great musician, give this album a try. The man had a beautiful voice and had been a true songwriting genius.

Cornerstone
Cornerstone
Offered by Fulfillment Express

3.0 out of 5 stars Borrowed Time - One of their Best, 21 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Cornerstone (Audio CD)
I have to admit I may be a little biased on this album. I'm not a big fan of ballads, and this album is loaded with them (Babe, First Time, to name two), but I always loved the song "Borrowed Time". In my opinion, it's got one of the best intros - the kind you test out new speakers to. The song then loses power, but that intro...wow!
Many have citicized the album for being too lightweight - due to too many sappy love songs, but I guess I'm biased due to growing up with "Babe" and "First Time" (saccarine sweet as they are) being played on those hot summer nights, way back when...

The Fury
The Fury

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Great Music, 21 Nov. 2001
This review is from: The Fury (Audio CD)
Many people believe Gary numan's career began and ended with "Cars". If you base your opinion on the fickle top 40 charts - this is true; but Gary Numan has been putting out music non-stop to a rabid cult following since 1978. I am a proud member of this cult. His 1985 release, "The Fury" tends to be a "mixed bag" amongst his loyal legion of fans. Many claim it's too "pop" and lightweight, while others, like myself, think it's one of his better albums. Numan keeps his dark writing style in tact with signature tunes such as "Call Out The Dogs," "1. Call Out The Dogs," "Your Fascination," and "God Only Knows." A word of warning - this album is very keyboard heavy. If you're looking for something similar to his recent efforts ("Sacrifice" or "Exile"), this wouldn't be a good place to look. I like this album for its dark lyrics, dark theme, and Blade Runner association.

Ghost: 1987 EXHIBITION TOUR;RECORDED LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH ODEON
Ghost: 1987 EXHIBITION TOUR;RECORDED LIVE AT THE HAMMERSMITH ODEON
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars An Underrrated Effort, 21 Nov. 2001
Gary Numan has released quite a few live albums. There's been "Living Ornaments 79," "Living Ornaments '81", this album, "The Skin Mechanic," "Dream Corrosion," and the excellent "Dark Light". From all of these, my two favorites are "Ghost" and "Dark Light". Many folks don't seem to like this live CD, calling it uninspired and lifeless. I think it's anything but that! This is a staple in my CD player when I go out running - it's simply my favorite!
Numan's music translates EXTREMELY well live. While many of the songs on his albums sound sparse and very simple, in the live format, the guy really shines.
"Ghost" covers Numan's material from 1977 up to "Strange Charm" in 1986. This tour was for a 1987 greatest hits package entitled "Exhibition". Some of the best moments are songs from "The Fury": "Call out the Dogs," and "Creatures" to name a few.
The only downside to this for me is Numan's picture on the cover... The constipated look just doesn't work. Forget that and enjoy the music.

The Words & the Music of Marc Bolan
The Words & the Music of Marc Bolan
Offered by KELINDO³

4.0 out of 5 stars An Excellent Tribute, 21 Nov. 2001
While many people may have these songs from the individual albums, the real gem on this CD is "The Children of Rarn Suite". I don't think this is available any place else other than this release.
Marc had recorded the suite back in late '69 or early '70. It was to be his "Tommy", his rock opera. You only get a small taste of what he created on the "T. Rex" album with the intro. The rest of the song delves deep into Marc's Tolkien-esque world - full of lyrical bliss.
Tony Visconti culled the rough tracks of Marc's opus and put them together back in 1978 for this album's original release. Marc never did get to officially finish the 11 - 12 minute song, but to quote Tony, "It could have been beautiful".
If you're a T. Rex fan, especially a Tyranosaurus Rex fan, get this CD for the Rarn suite. I think you'll appreciate having all these great songs on one CD as well as the "Rarn Suite".
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2014 1:28 PM GMT

Visconti's Inventory
Visconti's Inventory

3.0 out of 5 stars An Interesting Look at the Man Behind the Music, 21 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Visconti's Inventory (Audio CD)
I must admit I was pleasantly surprised by this CD. I have been a fan of Mr. Visconti's work for several years - most notably his work with T. Rex, David Bowie and Paul McCartney.
I thought, at first, this would just be a hodge-podge of outtakes and one-offs that didn't seek to accomplish anything in particular. I stand corrected! He not only displays his talent for orchestral arrangements, but can also carry a tune.
There are a variety of musical styles on the album (classical, doo whop, country and folk), but theres's a nice continuity throughout.
If you're a fan of his work, you will probably like this album. Iy you're a T. Rex fan, Tony's treatment of the Tyranosaurus Rex songs "Scenescof" and "Conasuela" are nice tributes to Marc Bolan.

Electric Warrior
Electric Warrior

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Hard Album to Top, 21 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Electric Warrior (Audio CD)
This is one of my all time favorites - if not THE favorite album in my collection. I remember seeing a picture of Marc Bolan in the early 80's and thought to myself, man, this guy looks wild - I've got to hear what his music is like. Thus began my odyssey to get my hands on anything associated with Marc Bolan.
This album was the starting point - and it's a true gem. From the opening track, the hypnotic, sultry "Mambo Sun" to bombasitc guitars and violins on the closer "Rip Off", it's the perfect album - the centerpiece of UK Glam rock in the 70's.
Tony Visconti's involvement here brings the album full circle. The mix of Bolan's poems set to music mingled with Tony's production and orchestral arrangements are captured perfectly in "Cosmic Dancer," my favorite track on the album.
There's not a bad song here. If you're curious and want to know more about Marc Bolan and his band, T.Rex, look no further than this album.

Dandy in the Underworld
Dandy in the Underworld

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Bolan's Best, 21 Nov. 2001
This review is from: Dandy in the Underworld (Audio CD)
Marc Bolan left a legacy of great music behind when he died in 1977. This album ranks as one of his best. If you're a fan of the man's music and don't have this album - get it. Songs like "Dandy In the Underworld," "Crimson Moon," "Hang-Ups," "Visions of Domino" and the B-Side single "Tame My Tiger" are not only great songs, but great poems set to music: "This woman is a perfumed breeze/Greek Gods recline upon her knees/I'd freeze the sun to kiss her ear..." Edsel has done a wonderful job packaging this release. Get a copy while it's still in print. This is a wonderful album

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8