Profile for James Choma > Reviews

Music From The Elder
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 6.72

4.0 out of 5 stars One of My Kiss Favorites, 15 May 2004
This review is from: Music From The Elder (Audio CD)
This album received A LOT of bad press when it came out - mainly from the fans. It was a radical departure from the Kiss of old, but with Bob Ezrin back in the Producer's chair, they made a great album. "The Oath" with it's great guitar intro, "Just a Boy" with its baroque intro, and "Only You" are some of the stand out songson the album. Eric Carr turns out some great drumming on this album, while Ace turns out some great work on "Escape From the Island" and his solo on "A World Without Heroes". It's worh adding to your collection. To quote Rolling Stone's review: "Kiss thinks with the heart and not the ..." on this album."

Two hearts (1985)
Two hearts (1985)

4.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked CD, 15 May 2004
This review is from: Two hearts (1985) (Audio CD)
When this album came out in 1985, I think people had grown tired of Men at Work and their constant presence on the radio and MTV. One thing Men at Work were good at were quirky, comic videos. "Two Hearts" might have done better with a hit video done in the same vein as the previous two albums. Instead, the videos from the album came out without the typical Men At Work humor, and in a more serious vein ("Maria").
To me, this album contains some of their strongest material to date, good melodies and good lyrics. Stand out songs are: "Giving Up", "Snakes and Ladders", "Children on Parade", "Hard Luck Story" and "Still Life". If you're a fan of the group, you may find this album to your liking. Also, check out Colin Hay's solo material - "Looking For Jack", "Wayfaring Sons", "Peaks and Valleys", "Topanga", and "Transcendental Highway". All excellent albums.

Son of Schmilsson
Son of Schmilsson
Offered by davidmorpurgo
Price: 8.51

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Nilsson's Very Best, 15 May 2004
This review is from: Son of Schmilsson (Audio CD)
In my opinion, this is Harry Nilsson at his peak. Witty, humourous songs with memorable words. Exceptional music from a great songwriter.
Nilsson's albums often turned out to be "parties," consisting of a who's who among the popular musicians of the time. On this album, the talents of Harry Nilsson, Ringo Starr, Peter Frampton, and George Harrison are split out among different tracks.
Some of Nilsson's best songs are on the album: "Spaceman", "Take 54", "The Lottery Song"... there's not a song on the album I don't like.
If you're looking for a sample of this late great musician, give this album a try. The man had a beautiful voice and had been a true songwriting genius.

City Boy (1976)
City Boy (1976)
Offered by HANG LOOSE Records
Price: 17.90

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Band You've Never Heard..., 15 May 2004
This review is from: City Boy (1976) (Audio CD)
I was skeptical about this band at first, mainly because in all my 34 years I had never heard of them. But after reading the reviews and listening to the samples I thought I would give this band a try. I've foundthe music to be refreshingly good after all these years. Songs from the self titled City Boy album - especially: "Shake My Head And Leave, (Moonlight)" "Deadly Delicious", "Oddball Dance" and "Haymaking Time" are excellent and very original.
I can't really say who comes to mind after listening to their music... Cockney Rebel and maybe a little bit of Alex Harvey comes to mind. A bit of Queen here and there - but all in all, very good.
I have yet to listen to the second CD - "Dinner At The Ritz", but if it's any where are good as the first, I'll have to try a few more albums. Thanks for the good reviews!

The Fury
The Fury

4.0 out of 5 stars Simply Great Music, 15 May 2004
This review is from: The Fury (Audio CD)
Many people believe Gary numan's career began and ended with "Cars". If you base your opinion on the fickle top 40 charts - this is true; but Gary Numan has been putting out music non-stop to a rabid cult following since 1978. I am a proud member of this cult.
His 1985 release, "The Fury" tends to be a "mixed bag" amongst his loyal legion of fans. Many claim it's too "pop" and lightweight, while others, like myself, think it's one of his better albums. Numan keeps his dark writing style in tact with signature tunes such as "Call Out The Dogs," "1. Call Out The Dogs," "Your Fascination," and "God Only Knows." A word of warning - this album is very keyboard heavy. If you're looking for something similar to his recent efforts ("Sacrifice" or "Exile"), this wouldn't be a good place to look. I like this album for its dark lyrics, dark theme, and Blade Runner association.

Beyond Appearence
Beyond Appearence
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 13.95

4.0 out of 5 stars A Favorite of Mine, 15 May 2004
This review is from: Beyond Appearence (Audio CD)
Much of this album is attached to memories I have of freshman year, 1985. Maybe it was the cool cover art, the association with the Raiders... who knows. Nevertheless, it made up part of the soundtrack to that part of my life and I love it.
While this is a departure from Carlos' more traditional sound, I feel he did a great job updating his music to the mid-80's. Songs like "Breaking Out," "Brotherhood," and "Spirit" sound as good today as they did when the album was first released. My favorite tracks would have to be "Touchdown Raiders," and "Written in Sand". "Touchdown" is a great driving instrumental powered by Carlos' guitar; while "Written in Sand" is just a fantasic song.
I understand the negative reviews at the time of this album's release (1985) - like I said, it is a bit of a departure, but standing on it's own merits, for the time and for the artist - I think it's a great piece of work.

Essential: SPECIAL SIXTEEN TRACK COLLECTION
Essential: SPECIAL SIXTEEN TRACK COLLECTION
Price: 17.83

4.0 out of 5 stars What a Great Collection!, 15 May 2004
Before listening to this album, I had only heard the song "Bridge of Sighs" played ad infinitum on classic rock radio. I had also heard that Robin Trower was a good guitar player, playing in the style of Jimi Hendrix. That's all I knew. After picking up this album on a whim - I realized there was a lot more to this great guitarist than just one song.
While "Bridge of Sighs" is a stand out track - there are so many other great songs that tend to go unnoticed - "Daydream," "Lady Love," "Shame the Devil", and "Victims of the Fury" to name a few. All played in a style Robin can comfortably call his own. Yes, there are similarities to Jimi Hendrix - but who ever said that was a bad thing? As a guitar player myself, I've found that substance will always win out over style - Robin's music stands the test of time and sounds as good today as it did 30 years ago.
After listening to this, I made it a point to check out Robin's other albums and found I have a lot of catching up to do!

Where I Should Be
Where I Should Be
Price: 9.78

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Peter Frampton's Best Albums, 15 May 2004
This review is from: Where I Should Be (Audio CD)
It's unfortunate that this great album was released after the critical failure of the film "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band." Peter Frampton's involvement in the film put a dark cloud over his head, rendering him a pariah in the entertainment industry almost overnight. As a result, his popularity dropped like a lead balloon. Too bad, because fans missed out of one of Peter's best albums ever.
As if the bad press wasn't enough, Peter was involved in an auto accident, breaking his right arm and damaging his hand. Not good news for a guitar player. This was his first album after the accident. It was also an album Peter set his hopes on to revitalize his damaged career.
Sadly, this album didn't help Peter's career, and he began a downward spiral from which he never quite recovered. This is such a shame, since he is such a talented musician. I'm glad to see that this album is seeing the light of day again with this re-release. I hope the albums that followed: "Breaking all the Rules" and the highly underrated "Art of Control" get released as well.
This is one of those albums I can listen to beginning to end without ever having to skip a song. If there's a problem with the album, it's that it's too short! I find the album to be a great piece of work, full of catchy songs: "I Can't Stand It No More," "Got My Feet Back on the Ground," "Where I Should Be," and "Everything I Need" come to mind right off the bat. It's an album every Frampton fan should have. Very highly recommended!

Live At Sheperd's Bush
Live At Sheperd's Bush

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Concert, Bad Sound, 15 May 2004
This review is from: Live At Sheperd's Bush (Audio CD)
If you're one of the many that wrote Gary Numan off after his song "Cars" peaked, you're missing one of the most extraordinary musical artists out there. He's been critisized for copying David Bowie, but quite honestly, in some ways I find Numan better and more interesting. And as far as the comparison goes, that was made years ago and really isn't all that relevant. The man has an amazing back catalog of music. I was able to see Gary on this tour when he made the rounds in America. It was my first "live" Nuamn experience and thought is was one of the best shows I ever saw (that's 20 years of concerts by the way!).
This concert was recorded back at the start of his '97 tour promoting "Exile." The set list touches from almost ever era of Gary's lengthy career, so there's something here for almost everyone. It's a bit of a different set list than what I remember (I think the reworked "Friends" started off the show I saw), but it's just as good. But like the show I saw, the sound was muffled. That comes through on the CD and prevents me from giving it a five star rating.

The Best Years Of Our Lives
The Best Years Of Our Lives
Price: 7.04

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Harley's Best Album, 15 May 2004
I first found out about Steve Harley through the music of T. Rex. Finding Cockney Rebel was a true musical blessing. "Best Years of Our Lives" is the definitive Cockney Rebel album. If you've never heard of the band before, that won't mean much, so let me put things into perspective. Cockney Rebel came onto the UK music scene in the early 70's. Their music could be described as touching on elements of T.Rex, David Bowie, and Roxy Music, but over time they were able to craft their own signature sound. With Cockney Rebel, you got a lot of variety: rock, jazz, opera, and avante garde -- quite a wide style range! They were very big for a time in the UK, but never really made a dent in the USA.
This album contains one of their biggest hits, "Make Me Smile," (which has been covered by a ton of bands and shows up in a bunch of movie soundtracks) but the album as a whole provides the perfect listening experience from beginning to end. My favorite tracks are "Mad, Mad Moonlight," "Best Years of Our Lives," "Make Me Smile," and "Panorama."
Steve Harley is still around and performs several dates a year in the UK. The man can still put on an excellent show and still retains a devoted fan following. If you are a fan of Steve Harley or 70's Glam Rock, do not pass this album up. This is a definite entry on my top ten desert island discs.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 1, 2009 11:36 PM GMT