Profile for M. R. Hudson > Reviews

Content by M. R. Hudson

M. R. Hudson

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
[Apple MFI Certified] Omaker Extra Long 2m/6.5 ft 30 Pin USB 2.0 Sync/data Charging Charger Cable Connector to USB Cord for Iphone 4s Iphone 4 Iphone 3gs,ipad Ipad 2 Ipad 3,ipod Touch 4th,iphone 4 Iphone 4s Iphone 3g Iphone 3gs,ipad Ipad 2 Ipad 3rd,ipod Touch 4th, Ipod Nano 6th
Offered by DoReMi Mall

5.0 out of 5 stars Very creditable product, well done Omaker, 27 April 2015
Took a chance and bought four of these after very mixed experiences with shop-bought similar items, especially cheaper ones. Have tried two of the four so far and both worked perfectly in all situations. Great value and the visibly thicker cable is probably the reason that a longer lead such as this works reliably. Haven't tested if the phone charges slower than with a 0.5m Apple lead, but I don't really care - it works and the convenience is the point.

Flash Boys
Flash Boys

5.0 out of 5 stars For once "Must Read" is not just hype, 18 April 2015
This review is from: Flash Boys (Kindle Edition)
Investment banks and hedge funds are my customers over 20+ years and I do my research, so I thought I was well informed about HFT (High Frequency Trading). However in this book Michael Lewis assembles plenty I did not know, some of it absolutely key pieces of the picture. What's more he does this in his usual fluid, lively, character driven style, despite some of the topics being inherently quite intricate. The book may still be heavy going in parts for the true general public, but persevere, and you will likely still feel both entertained and educated. What's more, the story Lewis tells is [still] extremely relevant to the lifetime wealth of anybody who saves in a pension or other stock market vehicle. Bravo!

Witness [Region Free] [Nordic Import]Blu Ray
Witness [Region Free] [Nordic Import]Blu Ray
Dvd ~ Harrison Ford

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic for many like me, Blu-ray V(V)G, 24 Jan. 2015
Witness hit the cinemas when I was a student in the pre-digital, almost pre-VHS era. I watched it what seems like - and may even have been - dozens of times at small cinemas in Oxford. It still holds up as an excellent film. This Blu-ray is a keeper. The sound is particularly impressive for a relatively old film. The format appears to be 16:9 and whilst I can't recall the original format, this one works fine for the film.

Dymo LetraTag LT-100H Label Maker with 2 Tapes
Dymo LetraTag LT-100H Label Maker with 2 Tapes
Offered by A2B Stationery Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard to imagine a better label maker, 11 Jan. 2015
The full keyboard makes life much easier. I don't mind it specifying non-rechargeable batteries, as I don't expect it to run them down very fast at all!

Time For The Stars
Time For The Stars

4.0 out of 5 stars Second rank Heinlein juvenile still a good read, 28 Sept. 2014
Not quite up to the standard of say, Citizen Of The Galaxy, Farmer In The Sky or Starman Jones, perhaps because the lead characters are slightly closer to stock. Also, the action is less punchy and the ending seems abrubt, even by Heinlein standards. However, it's still a book with a number of passages which have stuck with me since I first read it as a teenager. Great to have the chance to re-read it. Brilliant basic premise (no spoilers) that I'm surprised has not been re-used by Hollywood (to my knowledge).

Vermatik 7 in 1 Ultra Sonic Plug In mice,rats,rodents & insect repeller with built in Socket - Twin Pack
Offered by Futura Direct Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't sure what to expect, but very impressed, 14 Sept. 2014
Bought this and a slightly different model from the same manufacturer. Plugged one in the kitchen and one in the lounge. Result: no more mouse noises (and they had become almost constant in the lounge during the day). A couple of times I even heard a mouse (presumably) pop its head out behind my wine bottle collection but, instead of the rustling sounds continuing indefinitely, they stopped within seconds. I can only deduce: mouse popped its head out, thought "oh no that wretched sound is still there" and did a bunk! So far so very good, and it is 2-3 weeks now. I will buy more as spares so as to be protected if these ever break (though build quality looks good). My house is fairly small, and I think I managed to position the devices in nearly optimal positions relative to known mouse entry points. So those who have had less effective results might consider positioning and number of devices - logically, signal strength at the points where the mice enter the property must be important. Think about how your wifi signal varies in different parts of different rooms ...

Vermatik Advanced Plug In 4 In 1 Electromagnetic/Ultrasonic Rat/Mouse/Rodent Repeller With Built In Ionic Air Purifier (AS SEEN ON TV)
Offered by Direct Sales

By Its Cover: (Brunetti 23)
By Its Cover: (Brunetti 23)

4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly up to standard - enjoyed it, 11 Sept. 2014
Inexplicably weak, abrupt ending - I truly hope Ms Leon did not suffer some health issue resulting in a rushed publication. Otherwise enjoyable and with excellent interplay maintained among [some of] the long-running characters, plus a few well-drawn Italian aristos and hangers on. I could have done with a bit more screen time for the delectably awful Patta though. Not a top Brunetti, because of the ending, and no real ration of the crackling dialogue that has often taken place between Brunetti and Patta or Signorina Elettra. But far from a dud either. Not too shabby after 23 in the series.

The Rhesus Chart: A Laundry Files novel
The Rhesus Chart: A Laundry Files novel

4.0 out of 5 stars Well up to standard, very welcome, 18 July 2014
Only 4 stars may be a bit unfair as arguably the best book(s) in the Laundry Files series deserve 5.5 stars! However, this is detectably a little behind "The Apocalypse Codex" for example. Still a great read, with some splendid ideas and set pieces. Stross has a lot of fun with the central idea - can't say much though for fear of spoilers. Long term character development also has some surprising twists, that nonetheless feel right. I just hope we don't have to wait quite so long for the next. The series is in strong shape. A no-brainer for fans who pre-ordered as I did. I wouldn't recommend first-time Laundry Files readers start with this though: you will lose some element of welcome surprise & indeed shock. Read them in order. I envy anybody who has not seen the series yet, and can look forward to all five in a row.

Saucer
Saucer

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite engaging but not sure I'd re-read it (often), 13 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Saucer (Kindle Edition)
This a pretty much straight down the line SF effort with likeable, slightly better than stock main characters. The minor characters very much are stock characters though. The descriptions of flying the saucer do carry a bit of the romance of air and space travel. The action and plot are handled very clearly - very rarely does the author leave you uncertain about what is happening and why. A bit less richly imagined and thought out, however, than Richard Phillips' The Rho Agenda / Second Ship series, which must owe a debt to Coonts' work here. I see Coonts is working on a third book in the series after some years. I will definitely look forward to that, even though feeling unable to award more stars here. Saucer has the potential to make an excellent movie, in the right hands ... I hope that happens some time.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5