Profile for JT > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9
The Martian
The Martian

5.0 out of 5 stars A proper page turner, 3 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
I was blown away by how addictive this was. I always judge a book by the criteria of how often I make time to have a quick read of it. With this I took it to work and used lunch breaks. It's a rip roaring modern day Robinson Crusoe-and feels entirely feasible. There has been some criticism of the technical explanation of some of the physics of the story but anyone with a passing knowledge/O level standard of physics will be fine. Go-on treat yourself, you'll be through it in less than a week.

Green 25 Litre Plastic Waste Bin High Quality with Flap Lid
Green 25 Litre Plastic Waste Bin High Quality with Flap Lid
Offered by 7TH AVENUE GB

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bin, 3 Jun 2014
This bin is so good, the first time I saw it I cried. If you feel your life is missing something, it could be one of these. I ordered a green lidded one. I might order a red lidded one next.

OEM Screen Protector Premium Tempered Glass with round edges Glass for new iPhone 5
Offered by BeautyStyle(dispatch from HK)

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomplete, 23 April 2014
This product arrived today, from China, in a jiffy bag. I opened the bag and the product fell out as the gatefold packaging was not sealed. So after a 10 day wait it almost didn't make it out of the bag! According to the pack there are 6 items enclosed-a microfiber cloth, dust eliminating tape, smoothing card, fitting instructions, home button stickers and alcohol prep pad. 2 of the six things were missing-the smoothing card (a Tesco club card stood in for that) and crucially, the instructions :( so I have no idea if I fitted it correctly and subsequently after fitting there are a couple of those pesky air pockets under the surface. Admittedly it's a better finish than the finish you get with the PVC floppy screen protectors, but bubble free? NO. Time will tell if it looks as good in a couple of months. So overall, the jury is out and will be back with a verdict in a few weeks.

The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
The Ghost of Thomas Kempe
by Penelope Lively

5.0 out of 5 stars The first novel I ever read, 25 Mar 2014
And still my favourite, 35 years after I first saw it on Jackanory and got my mum to do a special order in WHSmith's to obtain my own copy. Right then my love of books and reading was born and still thrives today for me. Thank you, Penelope Lively. I wanted to be James (and still do). I still re read it every couple of years-most recently in one sitting on a Saturday afternoon. My copy is falling to bits-but it's the one material possession I would save from a burning house.

Back To Black [VINYL]
Back To Black [VINYL]

1.0 out of 5 stars Review is NOT for the music, 15 Feb 2014
This review is from: Back To Black [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I'm sorry to use this review space to bang my vinyl drum. This is the third piece of vinyl in a row which is damaged from Amazon. We all know the size of an LP. This one arrived in a box twice the width and 20 times deeper than needed, and was packed with a length of brown paper to "protect" it. Hence it arrived in a worse state than my 30 year old copy of "Rumours". The cover has 2 creases in it and a corner is ripped. AND, although shrink wrapped in clear polythene there is the indentation of writing on it, as though it's been used as a writing table! The album of course is wonderful and sounds lovely on vinyl. But these days we pay a premium for pristine packaging and buy records as an investment. At least that's what I do. Shame on Amazon for its lousy quality control, lousy packaging and for passing off what appears to be a second hand LP as new. Customer services offered me a refund as this was the last one in stock, so I'll keep it and learn from it and never order vinyl from them again. Their packaging people should take a look at how people who deal in vinyl on eBay send their stuff out. Rant over. Thanks for reading and please learn from my mistakes, and buy your vinyl from one of the ever dwindling high street record stores before they are gone forever. You pay more but get a well cared for product. I know I will!

TDK TBC8717 Boombox CD Player with USB, MP3 Decoder, AM/FM Analogue Radio (discontinued by manufacturer)

1.0 out of 5 stars Came with european plug, 12 Feb 2014
I wish when these grey import electricals are advertised on Amazon UK they are upfront about this, the item came with a two pin plug and one of those nasty plastic adapter thingys to make it work in the UK, but the product description did not say so. Disappointing.

Science in Sport 500g Chocolate Rego Rapid Recovery
Science in Sport 500g Chocolate Rego Rapid Recovery

1.0 out of 5 stars Gave it a go...., 12 Feb 2014
Recommended by my local running shop as a possible good thing to help me recover after long runs. All it did was give me the runs. I'm not being facetious here-it really did. And it tastes awful too. Have gone back to water and jelly beans after running.

StrobeLight : Clip on : lightweight : water resistant : LED light
StrobeLight : Clip on : lightweight : water resistant : LED light

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at first light, 12 Feb 2014
This is a fantastic product, robust, waterproof and VERY bright. Everyone in my athletics club likes it. I've had several armband type LEDs from a popular sports discounter and they all fall apart and fail quickly. This is three times the price but I think will last more than three times as long. If you run/cycle after dark this will help keep you safe.

Joseph Joseph Arena Dish Drainer - Green
Joseph Joseph Arena Dish Drainer - Green
Offered by found4you

5.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose..., 12 Jan 2014
So why the five stars??? Well it looks so stylish and is a great colour and encourages me to not let the washing up pile up. Also, my house is on the market and everyone who's viewed the house comments on this drainer. On a practical note, it'll hold about 2 plates, 2 cups and some cutlery. So is Ok for me, living alone, but probably rubbish for a family. Oh, is dead easy to keep clean, you just flood it with water and let the drainer, erm, drain.

Jamie Oliver Biscuit Barrel
Jamie Oliver Biscuit Barrel
Offered by KG Homewares

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's meant to., 12 Jan 2014
By that I mean it does indeed store biscuits. More importantly, it keeps them from going soft. Simple, you might think, but this is the first one I've owned since 1994 that truly keeps digestives (other biscuits are available) crunchy. Under controlled conditions it kept a digestive from going soft for at least a week :-).
It failed the jaffa cake test, but if it stopped a jaffa cake from going powdery and brittle it would have been a modern day miracle akin to seeing the face of the madonna in a dorito crying salsa dip.
It's also very nice looking and was a great lightning deal price at a tenner. Nice one.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9