Profile for Mrs. E. L. Martin > Reviews

Content by Mrs. E. L. Martin

Mrs. E. L. Martin "Girl Foodie" (Warfield, Bracknell UK)

Dennys Ladies/Womens Short Sleeve Chefs Jacket / Chefswear
Dennys Ladies/Womens Short Sleeve Chefs Jacket / Chefswear
Price: £21.37 - £26.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy and boxy, 13 Mar. 2013
I'm pretty disappointed by these new Whites jackets. I'm not sure why they're called "Ladies", as they are boxy like a man's/unisex usual whites, except unflatteringly shorter. They are also very sheer, and so will require careful under shirt selection. Luckily, I have an in-house seamstress who can put darts in and make it actually lady shaped so that I don't have a metre of fabric bunched around my waist under my apron. There is no anchor snap at the neck, so the side which isn't snapped/studded closed just flaps around inside clumsily, creating more bunching.
ALSO, I'm a larger-medium, but this Medium is SWIMMING on me, so buy smaller than you would. I'm pretty sure these are a Men's Medium. Not worth the £18 I paid. Maybe £13-£14. Pretty tatty stuff. I'd post them back and ask for a refund if I had time (I don't want to spend my few hours off queuing in the post office) couldn't easily have them altered. Shame I can't make the fabric better quality.

Bouchon Bakery
Bouchon Bakery
by Thomas Keller

5.0 out of 5 stars THE pastry book you need., 29 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Bouchon Bakery (Hardcover)
I've been waiting for the release of this book for ages, and my expectations were blown away! I have a huge book shelf, filled with pastry and baking books and this is easily one of the best. Bouchon Bakery covers everything from homely favourites like home made oreos and chocolate chip cookies, to brioche, croissants, incredible versions of eclairs and macarons, delicate tarts, robust loaves of bread and a wonderful assortment of candies. I would recommend this book to anyone who is already fairly experienced with pastry, wanting to improve or revive your passion, try some wonderful old favourites, as well as beuatiful modern show-stoppers. A-STAR Mr Keller!

12" DIAMOND SHARPENING STEEL. DELUXE PROFESSIONAL GRADE.DOLOMITEN INOX.
12" DIAMOND SHARPENING STEEL. DELUXE PROFESSIONAL GRADE.DOLOMITEN INOX.

5.0 out of 5 stars As Goos As New!, 27 Sept. 2010
I sharpened my 11-year-old knives with this as soon as it arrived. It has breathed new life into my old Henckels. Fantastic!

by Harold Mcgee

5.0 out of 5 stars Making me better at EVERYTHING in the kitchen., 20 Jan. 2010
I haven't actually finished reading yet, I'm only about 3/4 of the way through. Many of the reviews I have read about this book suggest that it should be used more as a reference, rather than a reading book. While that would certainly work to improve your technique when looking up a specific ingredient, you'd miss out on a lot. If you DO work your way through from beginning to end, and are serious about cooking, this will improve every aspect of your cooking. The book is laid out in sections of basic ingredients and explains in layman's terms (mostly) how they're constructed, why they do what they do when treated in a certain way and gives tips that will apply to literally every single meal you cook. There are handy little science class diagrams which help clarify and text boxes containing recipes, lore and writing hundreds of years old.

In a nutshell:
If you read this book, you will be able to get the most out of every ingredient and piece of equipment in your kitchen. There will be a hundred "AH! THAT'S where I've been going wrong!" moments and countless times when answers you have searched for all your culinary life (Like "How can I get my cheesecakes not to crack??") will suddenly shine from the pages.

Also a brilliant gift for any foodie!

Misconceptions: Truth, Lies and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood
Misconceptions: Truth, Lies and the Unexpected on the Journey to Motherhood
by Naomi Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars REALLY the best book about pregnancy, childbirth and the early months that I have ever read., 20 Jan. 2010
I was loaned this book by a midwife friend of mine and have since bought five copies for friends who are expecting. I think that it's more vital for American readers because the hospital pregnancy and childbirth experience is far worse than it is in Europe.
Having said that, there is so much that expectant parents the world-over aren't informed about, from the safety and options relating to home and hospital births, to what to expect as new parents. It's not a fluffy book that will tell you "You go to the hospital and lie down, while we take all your pain away. THEN, you have a beautiful baby which you'll instantly fall in love with" happy ending happy ending....
It's a true, sometimes brutal, very well-researched book about what you really can expect when you're expecting. You come away with a good knowledge about what your and your baby's rights are, How to go about having the birth experience that is right for you AND, what to expect from yourself, your baby, your partner, friends, the medical community and so on after the baby comes along.

I really do believe every expectant parent should read this book, home birth, hospital birth or somewhere in between.

Edwin Jagger, Handmade, Imitation Ivory English Shaving Brush ( Super Badger )
Edwin Jagger, Handmade, Imitation Ivory English Shaving Brush ( Super Badger )

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nicely made., 20 Jan. 2010
Very nice bristles, which perform the task beautifully. My only disappointments were that the "imitation ivory" is really just cheap, cream colour plastic, with a very plastic finish, not very ivory-like, and the little plastic stand that it came with was a different colour.

I bought this as a gift for my Dad and he loved it. So much so, that he bought the matching razor and extra soaps, which he highly recommends.

Yeah, I Made it Myself: DIY Fashion for the not very domestic goddess
Yeah, I Made it Myself: DIY Fashion for the not very domestic goddess
by Eithne Farry

2.0 out of 5 stars If you REALLY want it to look home made, 9 Oct. 2009
There are almost no expert tips, very few pictures and unfortunately, the projects are incredibly rough and amateurish.
I hoped that I'd learn about making good hems, maybe patterns, and some tips for finishing details but instead find uneven hems, crooked stitching and slapdash finishing.
I want to make casual, flirty bits and pieces but think I would be hard-pressed to find messier projects than the ones in this book.

I'm sure I'll find the odd cute little idea but I was better off before this book arrived.
If you already know how to use a sewing machine, follow a very basic pattern or make a cushion cover, you're already way ahead of this game.

I kinda want my money back.

Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
Ben and Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream and Dessert Book
by Ben R. Cohen

4.0 out of 5 stars A great basic, 17 Mar. 2009
We have made loads of ice cream since buying this book alongside the ice cream machine. I have made several of the recipes, all of which have been easy to follow and tasty. The best part is all the advice at the beginning of the book which make it easy to create your own recipes, armed with the knowledge of what will work best. My only complaint is that there are not enough recipes for my FAVORITE B&J flaves, like Oatmeal cookie chunk.

Cuisinart ICE30 Ice Cream Maker
Cuisinart ICE30 Ice Cream Maker

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect First Time, 18 Feb. 2009
We received ours in the post yesterday and immediately cleaned and froze our canister so that we could make ice cream today. (We chose pistachio.) Not including the time it took to prepare the nuts- making what we think REALLY IS the best ice cream we've ever had was quite quick and easy. It took about 30 minutes from liquid to firm - then, into the freezer for an hour to firm up. We just scooped our very first serving and are thrilled with the results. My husband is very hard to please....
The components are easy to assemble, easy to clean and certainly sturdy.
There were no signs of the motor struggling, even when the ice cream was quite firm and there were a couple cups of mostly whole pistachios in it.
The ice cream froze quickly enough that there were no perceptible ice crystals. The result was incredibly smooth; Perfect in fact.
One note: Something that worried me at first- When the ice cream is nice and thick, like soft-serve- either serve IMMEDIATELY or transfer to an airtight container and place in the freezer to firm up.
PLEASE NOTE: I was worried because the ice cream at the top and centre of the canister was very soft, whereas the ice cream up against the sides and bottom was as hard as the firmest ice cream you'll ever get from the grocery. I sort of quickly folded these varying textures together, hoped for the best and half expected hard lumps and re-frozen-tasting crystally bits. I need not have worried. After a couple of hours in the freezer, the texture all evens out and the whole batch really is consistent and lovely. I'd pay double for this machine. I just wish I had all the time in the world to try out all the recipes running through my mind!
BUY THIS ONE!