Profile for FrankG > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
Watching the Match: The Inside Story of Football on Television
Watching the Match: The Inside Story of Football on Television

2.0 out of 5 stars Big disappointment, 1 Oct. 2015
I've been looking for a book about the history of football on TV, so was delighted to stumble across this - by the man who oversaw MOTD, as well is TV football for ITV and even the FA itself.
I was hoping for some kind of cultural history, providing the context for the explosion of football on television over the past 60 years. This isn't that book however - instead it is a big disappointment and terrible lost opportunity.
Barwick has been there and done it, but this comes across as a book he has dashed off in a few lunchtimes. Superficial in its detail, self-congratulatory in parts, it also suffers from glib exposition and a rather irritating tendency to deploy exclamation marks for emphasis.
Very disappointing!!!!

Kindle Voyage E-reader, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Adaptive Built-in Light, PagePress Sensors, Wi-Fi

4.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, docked it one star for one small matter., 7 Feb. 2015
I received a Voyage for my birthday yesterday. I had previously had two Kindles, a keyboard model and then the first generation Paperwhite. The Voyage is a significant advance on both - although the comparison with my Paperwhite is most relevant. To start with, I'll answer the question that I posed to myself - is it worth upgrading from Paperwhite (1st Gen) to Voyage? The answer is yes, undoubtedly.
The flush screen gives the Voyage a more significant high-end feel, the screen is significantly sharper and text darker (to my surprise, it is v noticeable - and far superior), the page turn click is also a big improvement. It is also significantly lighter and smaller too (without losing anything in terms of screen size), making it a much more comfortable fit for your inside pocket. All good so far.
I am not yet sure of the screen brightness auto adjustment, but I will see how I go with it. You can turn it off, after all - I will do that, if it is not for me.
The one main observation I would make is this - there a lots of additional interactive extras with the Voyage (especially in comparison with the 1st Gen PW), including wiki referencing, authors notes, dictionaries, encyclopaedia, which are all offered as you read through your chosen book. All excellent additions, but innovations which underline the importance of a 3G connection. Unfortunately, I only received a Wifi model, which I wouldn't have seen as a problem with either of my previous Kindles - but I know I am going to want to use this functionality while using my new Kindle. I am even thinking of exchanging my new toy for a 3G model, so I can. I use my Kindle regularly on my commute, while travelling, I take it everywhere in fact. I am pretty sure I will regret not having a 3G model.
So, in summary, lovely new model - but make sure you get a 3G option. The access to all the extras means it is totally worthwhile.

Historical Atlas of the British Isles, The
Historical Atlas of the British Isles, The

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible ebook, 2 Feb. 2014
I am actually surprised this is allowed to be made available. It is titled an "atlas" but the maps are simply unreadable. They are two small to read any of the text - you can enlarge the maps, but they are too pixelated to read even when you do that. I have tried this on both standard Kindle Paperwhite and on iPad, but it is hopeless on both.
If I could give zero points, I would.

Kill Your Friends
Kill Your Friends

1.0 out of 5 stars One star, because I'm not allowed to give less., 7 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Kill Your Friends (Kindle Edition)
Terrible book. Poorly written, cliched, unfunny, its a genuine mystery to me why this has so many positive reviews. Maybe I'm missing something.

Really, honestly, don't bother. There are far better books about the excesses of the music industry which actually have some foundation in reality - Jazz Summers' autobiography Big Life, for a start.

Fitflop Supertone M Black Leather Trainers 10UK - 44EU
Fitflop Supertone M Black Leather Trainers 10UK - 44EU

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing to dislike, everything to love, 29 Aug. 2013
This is my third pair of Fitflops and I love them. Soft leather, but simple, stylishly designed, well made, hard wearing (the sole is barely worn on my first pair after a year of daily wear), they need very little maintenance and they are incredibly comfortable - v few aches and pains, even after a full day on my feet. These were available at £59 too - £36 cheaper than my initial purchase. All good.

The Million Sellers (Omnibus Press)
The Million Sellers (Omnibus Press)
by Official Charts Company

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating stories behind the 123 biggest singles ever, 20 Nov. 2012
This is what it says on the tin - the stories behind every single ever to have passed a millions sales in the UK. That means that it spans most of the biggest singles acts of the past 60 years, from Bill Haley right up to Rihanna, Jessie J and Maroon 5, via The Beatles, New Order, Queen, Oasis, Elvis, Cliff, Soft Cell and Human League, with plenty of novelty classics thrown in for good measure - in fact, every act mentioned on the cover. It also includes new two page interviews with some genuine legends, including Kevin Rowland, Bernard Sumner, Marc Almond, Cliff, Engelbert Humperdink etc. Spanning such a broad range of subjects, it's a perfect Xmas book, which will genuinely have something in it for everyone.

Arctic Monkeys - Uncensored On the Record
Arctic Monkeys - Uncensored On the Record

1.0 out of 5 stars Cuttings job, 8 Nov. 2012
This is a cuttings job, which is written by an obvious fan, not a professional writer - and it shows.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 13, 2013 2:13 PM GMT

Fitflop Men's Supertone M Low-Top, Black, 19 UK
Fitflop Men's Supertone M Low-Top, Black, 19 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Great shoes., 5 Nov. 2012
I bought these a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. Comfortable, stylish, they go with everything, from suit to jeans. What's not to love?

The Rise & Fall of EMI Records
The Rise & Fall of EMI Records

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent treatise on the collapse of a music business institution, 4 Oct. 2012
This is partly a response to the other review here, which suggests this book is a puff piece. It most certainly isn't. Is it a warm appreciation of a great British institution? Yes. But it certainly wasn't commissioned by EMI and is critical of the situation it found itself in following the takeover by Terra Firma. Excellent book and a must read for anyone interested in the music industry in the new Millennium.

Before I Go To Sleep
Before I Go To Sleep
by S J Watson

4.0 out of 5 stars Clever premise and thought-provoking execution, 10 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Before I Go To Sleep (Paperback)
After seeing this in every bookshop I went into, in the Kindle best sellers list and in my local library, I was persuaded to finally give this a go after a friend's recommendation. And I would thoroughly recommend it as an excellent weekend / holiday read - with a fair wind, you will comfortably get through it in or day, or definitely two. I liked the premise behind the book and was genuinely intrigued. The structure is simple in itself, comprising journal entries by the main protagonist, and it trips along at a brisk pace. I also found it to be a genuine page-turner. As soon as I got the end of a chapter, I couldn't wait to start it up again. It cleverly puts the reader in the protagonist's place (or vice versa), with the main character picking up on her own story as every chapter passes, like the reader of the book - and also raises genuine questions about memory, our own ability to remember and forget, as well as the subjectivity or truth, reality, deceit and honesty. The greatest weakness, for me, is the conclusion. The final chapter feels simplistic, far too convenient and is delivered through pretty hackneyed exposition by a couple of main characters - several key (misleading) clues are explained away just too conveniently for me (don't want to say too much, at risk of ruining the story for others). It also reads as a book which has been written deliberately with a movie adaptation in mind. Expect to see it on a screen near you soon.

Page: 1 | 2