Profile for Ashleigh > Reviews

Content by Ashleigh

Ashleigh (Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
50-Pack GLO-WAX Long-Burning Tea Lights (10 HOUR BURN Per Candle)
50-Pack GLO-WAX Long-Burning Tea Lights (10 HOUR BURN Per Candle)
Offered by Sourcing4U Limited
Price: 12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Not quite 10 hour burn but excellent candles anyway, 13 Mar 2012
These candles do burn beautifullt, there is no sputtering, you get a lovely strong, steady light.

I've found that the burn time is more like 5-6 hours but these are still excellent candles and definitely worth buying.

Philips O'Neill SHO8802/10 The Snug  Headband Headphones
Philips O'Neill SHO8802/10 The Snug Headband Headphones

4.0 out of 5 stars A bit garish but good quality sound, 18 Feb 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off, I am not very technologically minded (I am one of those people who think the earphones that came with my ipod are fine!).

These headphones are very comfortable, well made and in my opinion produce good quality sound. They are a bit garish for my taste but my friend loved them so to each his own!

ZoneAlarm AntiVirus plus Firewall 2009 - 3 User (PC)
ZoneAlarm AntiVirus plus Firewall 2009 - 3 User (PC)
Offered by hixxysoft
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective and easy to use, 17 Feb 2010
I have had this on my PC for a whil now and have had no problems with it. The computer ran slower than usual for a while but has picked up since.

It is easy to use, install and I would recommend it to anyone.

Fallen: Book 1 of the Fallen Series
Fallen: Book 1 of the Fallen Series
by Lauren Kate

2.0 out of 5 stars Twilight wannabe, 17 Feb 2010
I think this is aimed as a gothic romance for fans of Twilight.

However, the characters were one-dimensional, the plot didn't make much sense and overall it was pretty much terrible.

The success of Twilight has caused many such books to be written and some of them are great - but this is one to avoid.

Instant Recall Spanish, 6-Hour MP3 Audio Program
Instant Recall Spanish, 6-Hour MP3 Audio Program
by Michael Gruneberg
Edition: Audio CD
Price: 15.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to learn the basics, 17 Feb 2010
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really fun way to learn the basics of Spanish - I had very little knowledge of Spanish before this but might try and brave ordering a meal in Spain now!

Definitely not a product for those who want to learn a new language - but useful to help you remembre key phrases for a holiday.

The Gates
The Gates
by John Connolly

3.0 out of 5 stars Connelly Lite, 21 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Gates (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"The Gates" is primarily a novel for young adults. I didn't expect this when I read it so my disappointment may temper my review.

I wouldn't recommend this for adult John Connely fans as it is very lite - in all aspects of the word. Also, throughout the book, connely makes use of footnotes which are supposed to be humerous but I felt they stilted the pace of the novel.

I would not recommend this book.

August Heat (Montalbano 10)
August Heat (Montalbano 10)
by Andrea Camilleri

3.0 out of 5 stars First time Montalbano reader, 14 Sep 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Let me preface this review by saying I have read none of the previous series. I am however a big Poirot fan and was told Montalbano was like a modern day Poirot.

I do understand the comparison as both detectives are eccentric but this was just not for me...

I found the writing style a bit too lightweight but would recommend this book as a good summer / beach read for those of you who like mysteries / crime novels.

Mondays Are Murder (Poppy Fields Murder Mystery)
Mondays Are Murder (Poppy Fields Murder Mystery)
by Tanya Landman

3.0 out of 5 stars Short and easy., 7 Sep 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Mondays are Murder is the first in a new series of murder mysteries aimed at the young adult market. A "Miss Marple for kids" as the blurb states.

Poppy Fields and a group of other kids are offered the opportunity to test drive an activity week on a remote Scottish island. The weather is awful, they are cut off from the rest of society and then people start dropping dead......

I found the writing style very simple and wouldn't anticipate any problems for anyone over the age of 10. The plot was a bit too simple for my liking (I guessed who the killer was after about 10 pages) but it wasn't dull and there was plenty going on to keep your reading attention.

I would recommend this book to kids aged 10-13 but any older and I think the book may be too easy, both in terms of plot and reading style.

All in all, a good, easy read that has enough excitement on the page to keep young readers attention.

Halfhead
Halfhead
by Stuart B. MacBride

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, but missing something, 31 Aug 2009
This review is from: Halfhead (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Halfhead is essentially a crime thriller that just happens to be set in the future. The basic plot is a bog standard police procedural book about catching a serial killer. However, there are a lot of science fiction elements that are added on (eg flying ships instead of police cars, the cruel and unusual method of lobotomising and disfiguring convicted killers). In my opinion, this is where the book fails.

The story in this book could have just have easily been set in modern day Glasgow and would probably have been a better book for it.

That said, the book is very well-written, really easy to read, with very short chapters making it great holiday or toilet reading material.

However, as many reviews have mentioned, be warned - it is unnecessarily gruesome in places. (For example, why remove the lower jaws of criminals,surely lobotomy on its own is a suitable deterrent!)

Overall, it's an ok thriller that was easily read and will be easily forgotten by me.

17 Again [DVD]
17 Again [DVD]
Dvd ~ Zac Efron
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable....even for non Zac groupies!, 11 Aug 2009
This review is from: 17 Again [DVD] (DVD)
17 Again is essentially the movie "Big" in reverse. Mike O'Donnell (Matthew Perry) is in a crap job, in the middle of a divorce and blames all his unhappiness on the fact that he married his high school sweetheart when he got her pregnant.

Magically, he suddenly finds himself transported back into his 17 year old body. Like in "Big", he eventually realises that he was happier as he was before (hope I didn't spoil the ending but let's face it, it was never gonna end any other way!).

I found 17 Again really great fun to watch and am surprised to say it was because of Zac Efron. I haven't saw him anything besides Hairspray (not a HSM fan!) but found him utterly charming in this. Very funny, hugely likeable and the support cast were great too (especially Leslie Mann and Thomas Lennon).

This is a fun film for everyone and even if you're not a Zac Efron groupie, you just might be won over!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5