Profile for Susan McLean > Reviews

Susan McLean

The Body Book
The Body Book
by Cameron Diaz

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprisingly good addition to my book shelf - it has exceeded my expectations! Definitely a keeper., 13 April 2014
This review is from: The Body Book (Paperback)
As someone who rarely ever goes in for celebrity endorsements, I was somewhere on the scale between largely indifferent and vaguely sceptical about Diaz's involvement in this book - unlike other reviewers, the attraction was not the blonde on the front cover. However, I was looking for something which would be encouraging about care for your body/health and explanatory about nutrition without being a heavy scientific tome, so reviews and blurbs indicated this was actually a good option. I decided to give it a go.

Lucky I did, because this book has far exceeded my expectations: I found a fantastic book which is encouraging about care for our bodies by explaining exactly how and why it works, and not just simply telling us to eat our greens. As other reviews note, she is very American and therefore at times a little, let's say, "enthusiastic" about the subject - such as when she spends a paragraph acknowledging our sure surprise that she doesn't have a sweet tooth (am I the only one who wasn't that shocked?). This can feel a little patronising, but I take this as passion and genuine interest in her subject (plus a wish to better a world which very often takes to criticising (particularly female) bodies). However, look past delivery and you find a book which is helpful, insightful and delightful, with points backed up with a lot of science, and an appreciation for the way the body functions which reads as refreshing and positive. The writers take pains to put in full yet lucid explanations for how and why we need as the things we're being bugged to eat: perfect for an intelligent person who paid only a little attention to biology at school. I tend not to take things at face value, so I disliked taking nutritional advice for the sake of it and yet over the last few years found it difficult to get such information reliably (the net is notoriously dodgy). This is my perfect compromise: it's an explanation of how food, nutrition and exercise works plus what's important, without having to get a doctorate in Biology or Sport Science in order to do so.

In summary, this book makes a handy, practical guide for everyday living and eating, full of information and motivation and appreciation for the job it does for us. I've been dipping into it every few days since buying it and found it really helping to support a new healthy eating regime: which I find has had marked benefits on my alertness, mood and blood sugar levels in a very short space of time. Exercise is next; wish me luck!