Profile for david > Reviews

Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace [DVD] [1967]
Doctor Who - The Underwater Menace [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun story from what's left to see, 9 April 2015
A fun story from what's left to see. Well I say see Episode 3 has been out on DVD for years on the excellent Lost in Time set. Episode 2 however was returned to the BBC several years ago and has never been released commercially. This DVD was announced a very long time ago, it has been jumping through hoops ever since. First animated episodes 1&4 then no animation, then telesnap recons. Promises from BBC Worldwide to keep watching, news soon. Now it has been removed from the 2015 releases. Will it ever make it to DVD? This is a very sorry end to a long running and extensive DVD range.
Anyway if it ever does appear buy it, if only for Patrick Troughtons performance. Wonderful as always.
Yay, actually coming out at last.
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 2, 2015 9:59 PM BST

Man Who Came to Dinner [DVD] [1943] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Man Who Came to Dinner [DVD] [1943] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas Dinner, with some very sharp knives., 2 Jan. 2014
All I will say is, it's a wonderful film. There that's your lot. That's all it needs.

O, one more thing I can't advise taking the chance but the copy I got even though it was R1. I know because it even says it on the box. Plays in my R2 DVD player. No other R1 disc I have will, so I don't know what the hell is going on. But it's a brilliant piece of good luck.

Doctor Who - The Moonbase [DVD]
Doctor Who - The Moonbase [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick Troughton

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm thinking in my head..and it hurts, 2 Jan. 2014
I shouldn't really be doing this, reviewing before its out. So I won't even attempt to talk about the animation of episodes 1 and 3, the mystery animation I should say as unlike other releases I've yet to see even a few seconds of completed work. The extras, always a treat, I for one will be sorry to see all this lovely bonus material cut from future DVDs. Well Underwater Menace will have some but, your guess is as good as mine, on when it will be available?

Anyway, back to the story. A mid 60's 'international' crew work on the Moon in lovely protective hats to control the Earths weather. All swell till, Dum, Dum, Dum... The Cybermen decide to crash the party. Naughty Cybermen, bad.

I've always loved this story, semiconscious Jamie and all. It's a real treat from very fetching space suits to Patrick Troughton's fabulous little speech about evil monsters. Top notch Doctor Who stuff.
The two existing live action episodes are already available but not tarted up on the Lost in Time set along with the audio of episodes 1 and 3.

And so to the Elephant in the room. An elephant which has been around for so long now the Pachyderm poo is knee deep. Have more episodes been recovered from the mists of time? Were Enemy if the World and The Web of Fear all that was found. I can't claim any inside knowledge. Some people are convinced many many more complete stories are waiting to get the DVD iTunes treatment. These brave omni soldiers say they have sources, they were right to a frightening degree last time. K.B.O.
For myself I can only say I believe that there is more to come. I just don't know what or how many. Perhaps it's only a few orphan episodes or a few complete stories, the whole shebang is to much to hope for.

So until the dust settles and the curtain finally drops, wade you way through the cliché forest there, I will be buying The Moonbase. Probably, I think. Well right now I'm planning on it but having lived with the 'Omni rumour', for that is the real name of the beast, since March or April 2013.

'Anything can happen in the next few hours' Or not we'll see, won't we.

Irene [DVD]
Irene [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anna Neagle

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a musical, 21 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Irene [DVD] (DVD)
Colour and black and white mixed. Well it works for me. Have a lot of fun with the Irish accent.

The Sky's The Limit [DVD]
The Sky's The Limit [DVD]
Dvd ~ Fred Astaire

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 24 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Sky's The Limit [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD in another place but this is the same Hollywood collection copy. I bought it because I downloaded a copy from the bbc Iplayer and loved it. However this DVD copy is of significantly lower quality. Which is saying something when you consider how doggy the iplayer can be. There's no definition and the picture is dark. Very disappointed, I found similar things in the Hollywood collection range. Not much money if any seems to have been spent remastering the film. Especially when you consider that the bbc was able to get hold of a far superior copy for broadcast.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2016 2:43 PM BST

Slipper and the...
Slipper and the...

5.0 out of 5 stars Price, 22 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Slipper and the... (Audio CD)
I'd li like to buy but I just can't believe the price of this cd ? Please someone release it again in this form with all the songs