Profile for B. R. Hill > Reviews

HotRox Electronic Hand Warmer
Offered by Health and Care

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for church organists!, 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: HotRox Electronic Hand Warmer
Brilliant. I play the organ in church: one charge will last easily two 2-hour services. I will be buying a second one for the other hand.

Casio WaveCeptor WV-59DE-1AVEF Men's Digital Quartz Multifunction Watch with Steel Bracelet, Radio Controlled

4.0 out of 5 stars Stylish if you like square watches, 2 Jun. 2014
This is my second one of these. I bought one several years ago but after about a year it stopped being able to get the radio update and I threw it away. If you like the shape and style of the numbers then it's a great watch. But there is just one caveat: the strap fits a gorilla. And it took me some time to work out how to remove the 3 links I needed out. There are youtube videos which make it look easy but this particular model is similar but a bit harder to make the link move. Just poking with an awl or screwdriver does not push the link out and just gave me a sore hand. But once I got a rubber-headed small hammer to the awl each link came out with several firm strokes. So one star less for making it difficult and not giving any instructions.

Or you could take it to a jeweller but that would cost money!

So here's hoping it lasts longer than the last one I had.

Set of 3 Capacitive Touchscreen Mini Stylus Pen Pack for Samsung Galaxy S2 / Galaxy S3 / Galaxy Ace / Galaxy Ace 2 / Galaxy Y. 2 Black Stylus + 1 Silver Stylus
Offered by GHMZ-JH

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, 28 May 2014
... and works beautifully and attaches to my S3 really well by the phone's earphone out socket. Top marks, thanks!

Bose ® QuietComfort ® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black/Silver
Bose ® QuietComfort ® 15 Acoustic Noise Cancelling Headphones - Black/Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good for Classical music., 18 April 2014
I bought for an air journey. Sure, they are expensive but for me worth the money because they really cut out the noise. I listen mostly to classical music and that can get pretty quiet, so background noise has to be very low. An unexpected bonus is that I can reduce the volume of the music and so protect my ears.

Actually they best cut out continuous noise, so that's fine for the engine noise. But they can't totally cancel sudden sounds (eg falling spoon), but that's OK because I would hear if the wife shouts.

From the case to the electronics everything about them is quality but just one thing makes me nervous: Twice I have put them away still switched on and that could leave me with a dead battery: so no noise cancelling, and no music even. I think the switch should only cut the noise cancelling, and not the speaker feed. That way I could listen even with the battery dead.

Meanwhile I stock up on batteries to keep in the case.

Still, not quite enough to reduce to 4 stars. VERY PLEASED.

Kobo Aura HD Case, Coodio Kobo Aura HD Slim Sleep Cover Smart Leather Case [Auto Sleep Wake Up] [Standby] [Premium Folio Cover] [Magnetic] [Book Style] ONLY Fit KOBO AURA HD 6.8" eReader - Black
Offered by itech-coodio

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed. Every Kobo Aura should have one., 14 Feb. 2014
Well worth the modest cost. When you close it the Kobo is shut down, together with the protection it's become indisipensible. The quality is much better than I expected for £10.

When I Walk, I Bounce: Walking from Land's End to John o'Groats
When I Walk, I Bounce: Walking from Land's End to John o'Groats

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, challenging, honest and above all entertaining., 14 Feb. 2014
Funny, challenging, honest and above all entertaining. Couldn't put it down.
I read it out of order, ie the sections I know already, and those I am considering, then those I will never attempt.
At this price, great!

Symphony No. 6: Study score
Symphony No. 6: Study score
by David Lloyd-Jones
Edition: Sheet music

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear and good size, 7 May 2013
I love the Vaughan Williams symphonies and find the orchestrations very instructive.
But I have spotted a handful of mistakes such as strange symbols where simple sharps should be. They look like quarter tone marks but can't be.

Jost Unisex Adult Soho M Messenger Bag Brown J2102-003 Medium
Jost Unisex Adult Soho M Messenger Bag Brown J2102-003 Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good indeed, 7 May 2013
I bought this because I liked the smaller version (about 2/3 the width) and needed more space for the occasional holiday or shopping trip. It is just as good.
I particularly like the interior orange colour (wow!), the various pockets and the stiffness of construction. I have tried many other man-bags bug have given up with the soft flexible ones because they are awkward to get in and out of as they collapse with heavier items. I can get book(s), camera, phone and all the paraphernalia a man needs in his bag. Brilliant.
Only one complaint, I had thought it was black (like my smaller on) but hey, dark brown is a neat colour!

The Martian
The Martian

4.0 out of 5 stars Good tale., 2 May 2013
This review is from: The Martian (Kindle Edition)
Difficult to put down, never sure how it would end. Well crafted and strong story line kept me going. Well written.

Elgar: The Light of Life
Elgar: The Light of Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked masterpiece, 31 Dec. 2010
This has long been a favourite Elgar work for me. I probably listen to it more than any of The Kingdom, The Dream of Gerontius or The Apostles. The whole work is a description of Christ's healing of the blind man and predates the other three oratorios above. It is around one hour in length but with such wonderful melodies and orchestrations (I can't write this without hearing the music in my head!) and is a mystery why it is not more often performed. The arrival of the organ pedals at the end of the Meditation (overture) brings tears to my eyes every time. The central theme is highly memorable - indeed Elgar quotes from it in The Apostles when referring to Jesus as 'the light of the world'. If the oratorios of Elgar are your taste then buy this recording without hesitation or regret and settle down for a real treat.

Page: 1 | 2