Profile for Seth Burkett > Reviews

The Wolf of Wall Street
The Wolf of Wall Street
by Jordan Belfort

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting..., 30 April 2014
I jumped on the bandwagon and purchased my copy of this. Hilarious in places, slightly dull in others. It is not exactly a page turner but kept me amused throughout. Being ignorant of the stock market and its intricacies I found the detail Belfort described the stocks in as enlightening at first but slightly dull later on. That said some of the anecdotes more than make up for it, especially with the scenes toward the end of the book which didn't make it into the film.

Point Omega
Point Omega
by Don DeLillo

4.0 out of 5 stars Omega point, 30 April 2014
This review is from: Point Omega (Paperback)
I often find DeLillo's work dull and hard to digest. Having read the blurb I expected an action-packed, fast-paced novel. I didn't get it. It was only when I was mulling over the book having finished it that I truly appreciated the message behind the work. I'd now rate this as my favourite DeLillo novel. Give it a go- if you don't like it then its so short that it doesn't really matter...

The Circle
The Circle

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 30 April 2014
This review is from: The Circle (Kindle Edition)
I was initially put off by the size of the novel but soon powered through it. It held my attention throughout and had me entertained. As others have stated the idea behind the novel is interesting, but Eggers has oversimplified parts of it. The scene with the shark at the end could easily have been written by a young teenager. Having read the book I'd say that that would precisely be the target audience: teenagers and young adults. Still, I enjoyed it thoroughly, though if you're looking for a challenging read I'd probably give this a miss. If like me, however, you enjoy easy reads by the pool then tuck into this book.

Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics)
Ragtime (Penguin Modern Classics)
by E. L. Doctorow

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, just make sure you persevere, 30 April 2014
The first half of the book just about held my interest, the second half had me frantically turning the page. A fascinating story beautifully interwoven. The character of Coalhouse was particularly engaging and reminded me of Richard Wright's Bigger Thomas at times. The novel succeeds not only in entertaining, but also in asking deeper questions of race, society and class.

Small Time: A Life in the Football Wilderness
Small Time: A Life in the Football Wilderness
by Justin Bryant

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly recommend, 30 April 2014
A great story, beautifully written. Short, fast-paced and entertaining I would recommend this to anybody. This deserves far more recognition than it is currently receiving.