Profile for Martin Jones > Reviews

Content by Martin Jones

Martin Jones (Surrey, UK)

Too Many Mothers
Too Many Mothers
by Roberta Taylor

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a celeb job, 14 July 2011
This review is from: Too Many Mothers (Hardcover)
Too many celebrity memoirs read like expanded puff pieces from PR agencies, the hand of the ghost writer easilly recognisable. Not this book. Ms Taylor is more than an acomplished actor, she is an intelligent and errudite strong woman and her own story told very well indeed. The readers will relate to the tale and its cast and feel that they have been genuinely close to the writer. No fake sheen here. Real and moving.

The Daughter Of Time
The Daughter Of Time
by Josephine Tey
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars The very best, 30 April 2011
This review is from: The Daughter Of Time (Paperback)
Having recently read a formulaic procedural cop-boiler on a long train journey, and yearned for a classic, I dusted out the old penguin and re-read the finest history book I ever read. gets the blood boiling, lips pursing and heart beating. Great miscarriage of justice yarn. This is how to write an action thriller with one of the lead characters centuries in the grave and the cop practically paraplegic.

Blotto, Twinks and the Ex-King's Daughter
Blotto, Twinks and the Ex-King's Daughter
by Simon Brett
Price: 5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable light romp, 30 April 2011
As a true fan of Simon Brett - to my mind the best serial killer in the business, old school, witty and socially satirical, I tried this book out of the regular way of the fethering (perfect), Charles Paris (of their time, definitive) and Mrs Pargetter (creme de la crime) series. Not close to the league of Brett's classic series, but better than a lot of rival novelists. pleasant, light,and probably best as an audio book on a motorway.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2013 10:05 PM BST

The Works of Alfred Lord Tennyson (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
The Works of Alfred Lord Tennyson (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
by Alfred Tennyson
Price: 3.59

3.0 out of 5 stars More than school memories, 5 April 2009
Pity that the book is laid out like a dull school text book. Why can't the classics be presented attractively. The boring presentation is probably why so many of my old classics ended up at jumble sales. Since I have been reintorduced to verse thanks to modern poets such as Laurence Phillips and Roger McGough, I have been thinking about the stuff we did at school. Picked up this new (if predictably boringly printed) edition in the sales and, thanks to the index, found my way to some old familiar friends. Lines almost forgotten rushed at me like old friends. The dramatic light brigade and arthur stuff is here, but better yet the shorter poems. Flow down cold rivulet to the sea has come to mind so many times over the years and I had forgotten it was Tennyson. To quote from my favourite page: O for the touch of a vanished hand and the sound of a voice that is still.

Freeplay Radio Eye Max
Freeplay Radio Eye Max

4.0 out of 5 stars best radio I ever owned - almost, 1 Mar 2009
I am a fan of freeplay radios and for years have had the summit freeplay which gives me SW radio when I am abroad. The short wave was the icing on the cake and I was sorry when I lent it to a "friend" and never saw the radio again. But in the UK I have no need for SW stations and for Radio 4 and Classic FM in the bath and garden this radio is pretty much perfect. best sound quality ever and it hardly even needs winding since I keep it on teh windowsill. Amazingly easy to use.simple and brilliant.

John Creasey's Crime Collection, 1986
John Creasey's Crime Collection, 1986
by John Creasey

4.0 out of 5 stars Favourite buffet, 13 Feb 2009
Amazing. I can't believe these books are now on Amazon ewe kay! For years, the yellow jacketed Gollancz hard back anthology has been the joy of the charity shop rumager. I rarely see these books for sale these days, but the annual collection of short stories from the cream of British talent is always worth a weekend of your time. Buy it for the one or two stories by the authors you know, and use it to sample "new" writers for future reference

Giles The Collection 2007 (Annual)
Giles The Collection 2007 (Annual)
by "Giles"

4.0 out of 5 stars Up there with Radio Four and Marmite, 13 Feb 2009
Giles was Britain. Never dismiss these cartoons as mere newspaper illustrations. The proof of his genius is that when you pick up a topical cartoon from 10,20,30 years ago the political punchline may now be muted, but the observation is as sharp and relevant as ever. The Hogarth of the 20th century - with collies and grandmas as standard

The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (Oxford History of Modern Europe)
The Struggle for Mastery in Europe, 1848-1918 (Oxford History of Modern Europe)
by A. J. P. Taylor
Price: 28.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Puts things into perspective, 12 Feb 2009
Borrowed a lot of TV tie-in history and politics books from the library, to try to put the world in some kind of order. I did not study modern history at school and became interested mainly through travelling in Europe and picking up snippets from doccumentaries on UK History Channel. The TV tie in books help colour in some of the small areas, but I wanted to put the world wars into context and the librarian recommended this book to me. This is much heavier going than the well illustrated newer books, but I have found it really interesting, very useful and (eventually) quite readable.

Just William Box Set: "Just William", "More William", "William Again", "William the Fourth"
by Richmal Crompton

5.0 out of 5 stars William the Conqueror, 12 Feb 2009
It must be 30 years since I last picked up a William book, and what a treat this boxed set turned out to be. This was a birthday present that actually made me feel younger. As a child, I probably did not appreciate quite how exceptional a writer was Richmal Crompton. But as I re-read each of the short stories in the collection, my memories of the original readings came flooding back to me. Lovely choice of gift for all 11 year old boys, especially those in their forties.

Agatha Raisin and a Spoonful of Poison
Agatha Raisin and a Spoonful of Poison
by M.C. Beaton

3.0 out of 5 stars On form as ever. Hooray for Agatha, 12 Feb 2009
Not the best in the series, but still amazingly fresh and less soapy than some of the recent Agatha outings. A very readable yarn that'll make a winter weekend warm and entertaining. If it wasn't for the pantomimish direction that Agatha's libido seems to be taking these days, there would be an extra star in the rating, but lust-swings apart, a new Agatha Raisin is always an occasion.