Profile for Phil Franklin > Reviews

Content by Phil Franklin

Phil Franklin (Stratford Upon Avon)

Bosmere M655 4-Seat Cube Set Cover
Bosmere M655 4-Seat Cube Set Cover

2.0 out of 5 stars the fabric was so effected by sunlight it was like paper and tears started to show in the corners ..., 17 Mar. 2015
For the first few months this was OK. It covered the cube well. Then it started shrinking. I didn't realise how much until now, about a year and one Winter later, I found it was on solid - shrunk to fit!!! After 20 minutes of gentle persuasion at each corner I managed to get the darn thing off but even then, the fabric was so effected by sunlight it was like paper and tears started to show in the corners where the strain had been taken.
A pity really, as this had great promise. The last cover I had came from the cube's retailer and only lasted four or five years: I initially thought this one would be better. But where will I get another???

Sennheiser CX 3.00 In-Ear canal Headphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 3.00 In-Ear canal Headphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to keep the supplied buds in your ears., 5 Jan. 2015
Before I bought these I used Etymotics in-ear phones for years. They are fantastic - but they don't have the lower registers that the Sennheiser have. That said, at least they stayed in your ears when moving around!!!

The Sennheiser's give immaculate sound reproduction and for that are worth four stars at least, but they are not so very comfortable for long periods of wear and most certainly are useless at staying put if you're doing any kind of movement. I tend to wear phones while I'm gardening and the Etymotics were superb while the Sennheisers make your ears sore with the constant need to push them back in. I have tried both sizes of buds that come with the phones.

I have still got my Etymotics ear plugs that fit over the phones and I'm going to have a go at using those with the Sennheisers. I just hope it works.

TomTom Via 135M Bluetooth Satellite Navigation System for 45 European Countries with 5-Inch Screen and Free Lifetime Maps
Offered by SKYWISH

3.0 out of 5 stars First thoughts on initial receipt - and further use, 26 Mar. 2014
I ummed and arred about this satnav and nearly went for the Garmin 2597 but my nephew, a long-distance coach driver persuaded me that the TomTom is best. I wish I'd ignored him.

You don't get any documentation for the satnav out of the box except for a flyer to tell you to plug it into your computer. It doesn't explain the subtleties of the different connection options so the user has to guess which is the one to use for download (MyDrive or TomTom Home) I elected myDrive and was connected. I elected to download the Europe map updates. They started off and my satnav said, OK, disconnect form PC. But the PC said, Sty Connected. Good job I did! Download OK.

Then I elected to download the speed camera database. I ignored the instruction on my satnav to disconnect and started the download. PC said it would take 2 hours 30 mins. Then satnav burst into life and agreed with timing. So sat there waiting for download to complete (it goes very much faster towards the end). However, the satnav must have a power-off timer built in so that it switches off after approx two hours - before the download completed!!
I powered back up, reconnected and saw a msg on PC to say download not complete. It took ages to figure out how to complete and I'm still not sure that it did it. My account at TomTom shows that my satnav has europe maps and speed cameras. I won't know until I get to France.

Powering off is a problem. I once borrowed a TomTom in France and after an hour or so it too powered off for no reason. It took a long time before I could get it back on again. I hope this new 135M is not going to do the same.

All in all, I am not happy with TomTom. My very first satnav years ago was a Road Angel. It was pretty slow but it worked well enough and the book was good at helping out. I'll add more comments as I get to use the new one, but setting it up and learning how to navigate the screens and what does what is a nightmare!!!

........part two ............

OK....I've now downloaded the User Guide to my Kindle and my Tablet computer so I can read it more easily. With this and a stab at the intuitive (hard work, though) nature of the beast I was able to get some use from it. And I have to say, my initial tests were very satisfactory.

First, the system works very well while driving and, when you vary your route, I found that it re-calculated in less than 4 seconds!! Very good. That helps a lot.

But one thing is odd: I bought this model because it allowed me to issue voice commands. However, the manual and the device's help lists the commands that one can give, which, unfortunately vary. An example: You are supposed to be able to tell the satnav to take you to a 'hotel', a 'restaurant' or 'home'. So I would say, 'drive me to x'; or, 'take me to x'. But the menu sys you should use the words 'navigate', 'take', 'drive', yet the system accepts only the words it wants - invariably not the ones in the user guide! Seems the systems designers and the tech authors need to get together on this! That said, once learned, it works.

We'll see how it goes....

Rheme Tomtom Via 135 Universal Hard Carry Case with Tray also other Tomtom Via Start and GO series
Offered by Best Digital Market

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small for the 135, 26 Mar. 2014
The picture looks good in the picture but with the integrated mounting stand on the 135 (which cannot be removed) the 135 does not fit the case well. In fact, contrary to the picture I have had to stick it in the case face down so that the flap can close. Otherwise, the flap cannot close.

Not happy with this. I would have preferred it if the stand came off,I could then put the satnav in my inside pocket like a large phone.

New Asus Google Nexus 7 (7-Inch) Android Tablet 4.1 Jelly Bean (8GB & 16GB) BLACK Multi-Function Leather Case / Cover / Typing & Viewing Stand / Flip Case With Magnetic Sleep / Wake Sensor & Sunny Savers Screen Protector Shield Guard & SMART Stylus holder Accessory Accessories Pack by InventCase®

1.0 out of 5 stars The 'pen' is rubbish after one day's use, 29 Dec. 2012
Loved the Asus. The cover I bought with it is adequate but the capacitive pen is useless after just one day's use - so it's back to fat fingers and smudged screen until I find a better pen. It's always the little things that annoy so much!

Wolf Hall
Wolf Hall

2.0 out of 5 stars Continuity fails, 5 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Wolf Hall (Kindle Edition)
I so wanted to read both the Mantel Booker Prize-winners. Fortunately, as the second in the trilogy was overpriced on Kindle I made a start on this, the first.

Now, I read a lot, since I had my Kindle, but I struggled to get into this, even though I was aware of the historical period. As other reviewers have mentioned, the dialogue is extremely difficult to follow and I often had to re-read many pages to try to get the gist of who said what, when. You really have to make sure you understand the use of 'he'.

As for continuity: the book starts with a young boy being beaten to a pulp by his Father. We have to guess that this is Thomas Cromwell. We also have to guess, as does 'he', that he is about 14 years old. But in the next chapter, after Thomas has run away to - who knows where - we are moved forward 27 years and have to guess how our Thomas had amassed such skills and education. He is wealthy, a polymath, a lawyer and multilingual! And, as we have to guess, he works for Wolsey! But how did he get that job? But, he should be in his late 30s or early 40s: Mantel can't make her mind up. On one page he is 37; the next, 43, or so. Then, in chapter one he has a sister called Kat. In chapter three or four, she is called Bet.

I am going to continue on - with what will turn out to be the slowest read of my life. That's because I have to read so many pages two or three times. I just hope it's worth it. Not so much Booker Prize: for the readers/buyers, a Sucker Prize.

Shame.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 1:05 PM GMT

The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Millennium series Book 3)
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest (Millennium series Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepare your memory..., 8 Feb. 2012
Having finished the trilogy with this book I have but one criticism: the sheer number of characters. That would not be so bad with English names, but in Swedish, it started to become one hell of a problem tryng to remember who was who and who was a bad guy and who was a good guy.

For all that, until I realised the sad fact that Stieg had died eight years ago, I really thought, towards the end of this book that perhaps there would be a fourth book to the trilogy (it happened with Frank Herbert's 'Dune'). But it was all resolved, and happily.

One day, I shall go back and re-read the trilogy. It was that good.