Profile for Phil Franklin > Reviews

Content by Phil Franklin

Phil Franklin (Stratford Upon Avon)

Page: 1 | 2
niceeshop(TM) Black 2.4GHz Foldable Folding Wireless Optical USB Mouse With Receiver for Laptop PC
Offered by niceEshop

1.0 out of 5 stars Did this mouse cause my laptop to crash?, 3 Mar. 2016
This is a great wifi mouse for the money. Lovely design. One big problem. I installed it on my brand-new Win10 Lenovo. It worked a treat for three or four hours - then the laptop lost all connection to the internet. The firewall disappeared and the internet with it. Took the laptop back to Curry's who were as mystified as I was over the way the system had failed. There were mutterings of a virus-type failure. They re-installed Win10 and I rebuilt the laptop again. But I don't dare use this mouse. That might be irrational, but it was too much of a coincidence. And I don't want to risk my laptop again.

Showa 451 Thermo Gloves Size: Medium
Showa 451 Thermo Gloves Size: Medium
Offered by YBS Safety Workwear

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gloves out., 3 Mar. 2016
Best gloves for gardening evah! No kidding.

TTS Maglite Cree LED Bulb Upgrade Conversion for 3d 4d 5d or 6d or C Cell Torch. Uses brightest 3 watt LED
Offered by TheTorchSite

5.0 out of 5 stars Great replacement bulb, 3 Mar. 2016
Can't believe how bright my Maglite is now! Will probably pay for itself in battery savings. Recommended.

ELEGIANT Power Converter Charger Adapter for IBM Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon 0B47046 Laptop Notebook PC

2.0 out of 5 stars Size matters, 3 Mar. 2016
This adapter is a great idea. I moved from an HP to a Lenovo laptop and wanted a second power supply for the Lenovo. I already had a spare one for the HP but the connectors are different. By looking at the pic of this adapter I figured it would be fine. Unfortunately, the HP's single pin connector is smaller than the single pin adapter so I couldn't connect it. As I only wasted £2 its not a big deal. It's gone in my 'man drawer' for a rainy day....

Showa 451 Thermo Grip Insulated Gloves (Small)
Showa 451 Thermo Grip Insulated Gloves (Small)
Offered by YBS Safety Workwear

5.0 out of 5 stars Best for gardening I have EVAH found!, 31 Aug. 2015
After years of looking for good gardening/building gloves - I found them!! Bought three pairs over time. Great gloves!

The Dillen: Memories of a Man of Stratford-upon-Avon
The Dillen: Memories of a Man of Stratford-upon-Avon
by George Hewins

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories of a Common Hero!! A must read., 31 Aug. 2015
This has got to be the greatest memoir of a 'common man' ever. I would dearly love to see it made into a fim/TV docudrama - and if I had the money I would make it happen. Once you get into the book and realise you are sitting listening to a man telling you in his own words - as if you were sitting with him in a pub (which he loved) - in a dialect that is a joy to 'listen' to, you soon realise that this man is what the Daily Mail would call a 'Hero'. But, this time, they would be right!! Sleeping with your wife and conceiving eight children while sharing the bed with your (hopefully) sleeping Mother-in-law is hero status to me! Not to mention that the Germans curtailed his fecundity by blowing his 'crown jewels' off and ramming a bayonet up his bottom. A truly great (5'4") man.

This is a MUST READ book. Do so!

Bosmere M655 4-Seat Cube Set Cover
Bosmere M655 4-Seat Cube Set Cover

2.0 out of 5 stars the fabric was so effected by sunlight it was like paper and tears started to show in the corners ..., 17 Mar. 2015
For the first few months this was OK. It covered the cube well. Then it started shrinking. I didn't realise how much until now, about a year and one Winter later, I found it was on solid - shrunk to fit!!! After 20 minutes of gentle persuasion at each corner I managed to get the darn thing off but even then, the fabric was so effected by sunlight it was like paper and tears started to show in the corners where the strain had been taken.
A pity really, as this had great promise. The last cover I had came from the cube's retailer and only lasted four or five years: I initially thought this one would be better. But where will I get another???

Sennheiser CX 3.00 In-Ear canal Headphones - Black
Sennheiser CX 3.00 In-Ear canal Headphones - Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Impossible to keep the supplied buds in your ears., 5 Jan. 2015
Before I bought these I used Etymotics in-ear phones for years. They are fantastic - but they don't have the lower registers that the Sennheiser have. That said, at least they stayed in your ears when moving around!!!

The Sennheiser's give immaculate sound reproduction and for that are worth four stars at least, but they are not so very comfortable for long periods of wear and most certainly are useless at staying put if you're doing any kind of movement. I tend to wear phones while I'm gardening and the Etymotics were superb while the Sennheisers make your ears sore with the constant need to push them back in. I have tried both sizes of buds that come with the phones.

I have still got my Etymotics ear plugs that fit over the phones and I'm going to have a go at using those with the Sennheisers. I just hope it works.

TomTom Via 135M Bluetooth Satellite Navigation System for 45 European Countries with 5-Inch Screen and Free Lifetime Maps

3.0 out of 5 stars First thoughts on initial receipt - and further use, 26 Mar. 2014
I ummed and arred about this satnav and nearly went for the Garmin 2597 but my nephew, a long-distance coach driver persuaded me that the TomTom is best. I wish I'd ignored him.

You don't get any documentation for the satnav out of the box except for a flyer to tell you to plug it into your computer. It doesn't explain the subtleties of the different connection options so the user has to guess which is the one to use for download (MyDrive or TomTom Home) I elected myDrive and was connected. I elected to download the Europe map updates. They started off and my satnav said, OK, disconnect form PC. But the PC said, Sty Connected. Good job I did! Download OK.

Then I elected to download the speed camera database. I ignored the instruction on my satnav to disconnect and started the download. PC said it would take 2 hours 30 mins. Then satnav burst into life and agreed with timing. So sat there waiting for download to complete (it goes very much faster towards the end). However, the satnav must have a power-off timer built in so that it switches off after approx two hours - before the download completed!!
I powered back up, reconnected and saw a msg on PC to say download not complete. It took ages to figure out how to complete and I'm still not sure that it did it. My account at TomTom shows that my satnav has europe maps and speed cameras. I won't know until I get to France.

Powering off is a problem. I once borrowed a TomTom in France and after an hour or so it too powered off for no reason. It took a long time before I could get it back on again. I hope this new 135M is not going to do the same.

All in all, I am not happy with TomTom. My very first satnav years ago was a Road Angel. It was pretty slow but it worked well enough and the book was good at helping out. I'll add more comments as I get to use the new one, but setting it up and learning how to navigate the screens and what does what is a nightmare!!!

........part two ............

OK....I've now downloaded the User Guide to my Kindle and my Tablet computer so I can read it more easily. With this and a stab at the intuitive (hard work, though) nature of the beast I was able to get some use from it. And I have to say, my initial tests were very satisfactory.

First, the system works very well while driving and, when you vary your route, I found that it re-calculated in less than 4 seconds!! Very good. That helps a lot.

But one thing is odd: I bought this model because it allowed me to issue voice commands. However, the manual and the device's help lists the commands that one can give, which, unfortunately vary. An example: You are supposed to be able to tell the satnav to take you to a 'hotel', a 'restaurant' or 'home'. So I would say, 'drive me to x'; or, 'take me to x'. But the menu sys you should use the words 'navigate', 'take', 'drive', yet the system accepts only the words it wants - invariably not the ones in the user guide! Seems the systems designers and the tech authors need to get together on this! That said, once learned, it works.

We'll see how it goes....

Rheme Tomtom Via Start Universal Hard Carry Case with Tray also other Tomtom Via Start and GO series
Offered by Best Digital Market

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small for the 135, 26 Mar. 2014
The picture looks good in the picture but with the integrated mounting stand on the 135 (which cannot be removed) the 135 does not fit the case well. In fact, contrary to the picture I have had to stick it in the case face down so that the flap can close. Otherwise, the flap cannot close.

Not happy with this. I would have preferred it if the stand came off,I could then put the satnav in my inside pocket like a large phone.

Page: 1 | 2