Profile for Kris Knave > Reviews

Kris Knave "-knave-"

Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display
Wacom Cintiq 12WX Interactive Pen Display

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, don't be deterred by the negatives, 11 Feb 2013
I'm a traditional artist that moved to digital a year ago. I had never used any form of tablet before so I jumped straight in and bought this Cintiq. I was impressed immediately but thought I would wait a while before posting a review because my inexperience in such things may have skewed my perception. I've used it for a year now and can confidently say it's excellent, I would be heart broken to let it go. There was no transition for me in terms of drawing (i.e. I could sketch on it as effectively as paper immediately) - initially, I thought "I'll still put line work down on paper and then scan the drawing, etc" but I've since completely abandoned that approach (and gone farther - see below) in favour of doing everything on the Cintiq - sketching, painting, etc. To be able to tweak/rework your sketch/linework without restarting/making a mess is invaluable, to be able to really easily block in some values on said sketch is great, the list goes on. So much so that I've now started doing all the preliminary drawing for my traditional work on the Cintiq!!

I'm puzzled by some of the negative reviews here because most of the issues mentioned are almost certainly down to the tablet/software not being set up as well as it could be - this is a very complex tool which interacts with even more complex software which results in an endless number of possible set up nuances and connotations - it needs to be calibrated properly both in the tablet preferences and in the software being used, this takes time and experimentation to get right (it took me months to get right). When I read comments about not being happy with the pressure sensitivity I can't help but think "how can you not be happy with over a thousand levels of pressure?" Probably because your Cintiq prefs aren't set correctly for you and/or your brush tracking isn't set properly in your software. I can achieve very accurate, consistent line weight/transitions with the Cintiq which are as good if not better than any traditional medium I've used. Creating a satisfying tapered stroke for instance is very consistent, predictable and feels very satisfying and clean. Also, people have commented about not being able to swivel the tablet but this is completely unnecessary because today's software allows the user to rotate your "digital canvas" as easily as turning a sheet of paper on your drawing board - assign one of the short cut keys on the Cintiq to the rotate canvas option and you're in business (physically swivelling the tablet is like stirring your tea with a fork - you can do it but why would you?). Again, I'm brand new to this game but I've discovered all these things in the past 12 months use. Also, comments about the edge of the screen not being accurate have been made and they are dead right, I'd say the lower 2cm of the screen is a bit iffy but again, this is a total non-issue because when you are drawing on a piece of paper, how often do you actually draw right up to the edge of the paper? Drawing right up to the edges of your Cintiq is the equivalent to drawing right up to the edge of a piece of paper which is on the edge of a table. If you need to do that on your Cintiq, MOVE the canvas up on your screen - takes literally a split second if you've assigned a Cintiq hot key as "grabber" in your software - simple.

If anyone out there is considering buying the Cintiq and is concerned about some of the negative comments, please don't be because 90% of the issues being raised here are a result of user error. If I could sort them out being brand new to this medium, anyone with any application to the subject could. Be prepared to put the work in to get the set up right, this involves A LOT of searching on the internet and trying different things (just like traditional art) before you find your place with it, when you do it's an amazing, invaluable piece of equipment. Like anything in the world of artistic endeavour, it is what you make of it.

The Expert at the Card Table: Classic Treatise on Card Manipulation (Dover Magic Books)
by S.W. Erdnase

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic - but not for everyone, 15 Dec 2003
After reading the previous reviews on this book I feel compelled to clarify. The Expert At The Card Table is the first advanced instructional text ever released for card mechanics and card magicians. This is the reason why it is of such importance but it is also the reason why it's not for everyone. As it was written over a hundred years ago, many of the techniques explained have been superseded but there is still a wealth of useful information for the serious card worker (the palming techniques, for example, are still extremely practical and were tens of years before their time when the book was written). Most people who are serious about cards have studied this text - not just read it, studied it. This is a book for the student of card work and it's history, it's not a book for someone with a casual interest who wants to learn a few basic tricks. If you fall into the latter category then The Royal Road to Card Magic or something similar is more suited to your requirements.
A review of this book would not be complete without mentioning The Annotated Erdnase by Darwin Ortiz. This book offers the reader an expert's insight into this classic text. Darwin Ortiz is the world's foremost expert on cards (in respect of the fields of "magic" and crooked gambling) so his opinions have to be respected. It's sadly out of print but is still available from some dealers and a used copy may be available on this site.
In summary, for the beginner or someone with a passing interest, The Expert At The Card Table really isn't worth buying but for the individual aspiring to become a serious card worker knowledge of this text is essential.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2014 12:10 PM GMT