Profile for S. W. Burgess > Reviews

Content by S. W. Burgess

S. W. Burgess "Tour Guide" (Winchester, England)

Newcastle United: The Day the Promises Had to Stop
Newcastle United: The Day the Promises Had to Stop
by Denis Cassidy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 23 Sept. 2010
I read this book virtually at one sitting as it gave a valuable insight into the politics of the team during that turbulent period which affected every fan. The boardroom shenanigans are well described and I found myself moved by Cassidy's gentle style of describing dramatic events. For someone who has worked at the top of British business he must have thought that the lunatics had taken over the asylum at Newcastle United.
I can recommend this book to any fan as it is clearly written by a dedicated and committed supporter of a club that we all love and it is an easy read. A few pictures might have been a good idea but otherwise very pleased with my purchase.

First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover
First Overland: London-Singapore by Land Rover
by Sir David Attenborough

5.0 out of 5 stars Well I Never!, 26 Jan. 2006
My connection with this book is a long one as I first read it in the 1960's and I was pleased to see it back in print. One of the sponsors the trip was Brooke Bond and my late father-in-law was the Indian based representive of the company and looked after the group when they were in Delhi - their exploits are recorded in the book which includes an hilarious TV performance on Indian TV.
In 1994 I brought the whole group together at Magdelene College Cambridge for a celebratory dinner at which it was intended for my father-in-law to meet up with them after 40 years but sadly he died just before the dinner took place. We pressed ahead and it was very interesting to meet all of the travellers who had not been together for many,many years. The book for me is the most evocative "road" book ever and is a prototype for many of the books on motorised travel that have appeared since. The period they travelled in (1954-5) was the last knockings of the Empire and traces of the Second World War were in one case at least an important part of making the journey work. The only other book of similar importance, in my opinion, of the long distance traveller is Ted Simon's "Jupiter's Travels" a journey he undertook in 1975 by Triumph motorbike. But this is a truly great travelling book and should be read by anyone with the travelling bug.