Profile for Kirsty > Reviews

Content by Kirsty

Kirsty "book fan" (Wales)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
The Natural Cook: Eating the Seasons from Root to Fruit
by Tom Hunt
Price: 13.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Yum!, 17 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was my first cookbook focusing specifically on vegetables, and it has definitely surprised me...in a good way!

I really liked the layout of the book, each vegetable has its own six page section. This consists of an introduction to the vegetable and a description of what time of year it's at its best, six recipes using the vegetable, and two full page photos as an example of two of the featured recipes.

There is something for everyone in here, from a fresh look on new potatoes, broccoli and spring onions, to less well know/ used veg such as celeriac, pumpkin and winter greens.

There are also some fab recipes using various fruits such as rhubarb, apricots and strawberries.

The only downside for me was that there were quite a few recipes that are quite familiar, and how I already use the vegetables

Philips GC6611/30 SpeedCare Iron Steam Generator with 120 g Steam Boost and 1.2 Litre Water Tank, 1200 ml, 2400 Watt, 4.2 Bar, Purple
Price: 90.00

5.0 out of 5 stars No problems!, 17 Aug 2014
A great item!

This is a lot more lighter and compact than my last steam generator iron, and I much prefer this type of design.

It's much easier to move around, and it has a temperature dial which my last one was sorely missing.

The ironing action is great, quick to heat up, glides over the clothes perfectly and as you would expect gets rid of creases with minimum effort.

Banished: The Blackhart Legacy: Book One: 1 (Blackheart Legacy 1)
Banished: The Blackhart Legacy: Book One: 1 (Blackheart Legacy 1)
by Liz de Jager
Price: 5.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 17 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A nice solid start to a new supernatural YA series.

I actually enjoyed this a lot more than I was expecting. It was faced paced with plenty of action, a good mix of characters, and a interesting paranormal theme.

Yes, there are a lot of YA books out there with a female protagonist finding out about a hidden heritage, but Banished is an example of this genre done very well. I particularly liked the world building and descriptions of the Otherwhere (fairy realm), and the encyclopaedia type description of the fairy creatures at the start of every chapter, these added an interesting and fun element to the book.

I wasn't too keen on the perquisite love interest in the book, but as with all YA books this is a necessity for its target audience. What did stand out for me was the action / battle scenes, the author's talent really stood out in this area, and there is definitely enough enjoyment here for me to check out the books in the series.

This will be a must read for anyone who has enjoyed books by either Cassandra Clare or Julie Kagawa.

Ambi Toys  Pounding Apple
Ambi Toys Pounding Apple
Price: 15.53

2.0 out of 5 stars No longevity, 17 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Honestly this has little fun value, and any that it does have wears off extremely fast!

It's very attractive to look at, nice bright colours and a study design that will last through any knocks and bumps... but it just gets boring too quickly!!

The main issue here is that you always know which worm is going to pop up, if you hit the green worm the blue one below it pops up. If you hit the red, the orange worm above it pops up. I was under the impression that the worms popping up would be a random mix of the three remaining colours, but it will only ever be the worm that is on the same side as the one you've just hit.

The children easily realised the above issue, and due to the repetitive play now ignore the toy completely.

Not worth the money you would pay for it, I would recommend avoiding this one.

Breville Pick & Mix Stand and Hand Mixer, Strawberry Cream
Breville Pick & Mix Stand and Hand Mixer, Strawberry Cream
Offered by Value_Deal
Price: 69.55

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty in Pink, 17 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
What a fab little addition to the kitchen!

I really have no faults with this little machine at all. The candyfloss pink colour fits in perfectly with my cupcake kitchen décor, and the size means it sits discreetly on top of my fridge without taking up too much room, it's also much lighter than you would expect so it's not a chore moving it or setting it up for a baking session.

I love the design, the fact that it's a static mixer and has a removable handheld mixer in one makes life so much easier, and means that I have two gadgets in one, saving much needed cupboard space.

The machine itself works well, and mixes to a light and fluffy consistency as you would expect. The dual motion of the mixers and the bowl moving simultaneously means that nothing sticks to the side and mixing time is shortened. There are also a good variety of mixer speeds, and the added addition of dough hooks.

The parts of the mixer are easy to set up and click into place, and I liked the metal bowl both for cleaning and aesthetic looks.

It would be a little small for avid bakers, but for the casual cupcake baker this would be fine. Its a perfect gift for fans of the Great British Bake Off, and it's cute colour will definitely entice little girls into an introduction to baking.

The Enchanted
The Enchanted
by Rene Denfeld
Price: 7.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 17 July 2014
This review is from: The Enchanted (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This felt like quite an unusual and unique book. It's very detailed and descriptive, and it was an unsettling peek into the mind of a death row prisoner.

It was not my typical read, and to be honest I doubt I would ever read it again but it's one of my "bucket list" books, and is definitely worth picking up.

There are some really evocative descriptions in here, and its clear that the author has a very solid understanding of the death row system. This very real issue of capital punishment was balanced perfectly with the beautiful descriptions of a mentally unstable mind, it just worked so well together.

I can see it wouldn't be everyones cup of tea, but if you fancy something a little different give it a go!

The Kill: (Maeve Kerrigan 5)
The Kill: (Maeve Kerrigan 5)
by Jane Casey
Price: 11.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Another great instalment in the Maeve Kerrigan series! Really gripping, and most definitely a keeper.

I really loved the interaction between Maeve and the other characters, which is always realistic and believable. The author does a fantastic job of balancing the grizzly crime of her professional life, and ups and downs of her personal life.

I have to admit that this is one of the best books I have read this year, but I would recommend reading the series from start to really enjoy the character developments.

Well worth a read, looking forward to the next one!

Daylight Company Mini LED UV Nail Lamp 6 W
Daylight Company Mini LED UV Nail Lamp 6 W
Price: 30.85

4.0 out of 5 stars Handy, 17 July 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A handy little gadget that will benefit nail art lovers.

Dries the coats very quickly, so makes it much easier to apply several coats of polish. It's dinky and looks professional, I like the fact it turns itself off as a safety feature.

The only issue is you can't fit your thumbs under there at the same time as your fingers, as the space is tight and I ended up smudging the polish.

Overall a niffy little item, that help saves me time and effort.

Snowblind
Snowblind
by Christopher Golden
Price: 9.79

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a thriller or a chiller!, 17 July 2014
This review is from: Snowblind (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This was basically a time passer, I only ever picked it up when I had literally nothing better to do/ read. Honestly it just wasn't scary or detailed enough to keep my interest, and I would never re-read it either.

I was hoping for something really chilling but it never really hit the mark, there were too many characters to focus on so you never really end up caring about anyone either.

Personally I felt the writing style was quite juvenile, even though the author tried to make it more adult with the marriage, money and death issues. The supernatural explanation was a little wishy washy, and seemed skimmed over.

This is one of those books that just has nothing that sticks in your mind, in six months I mostly won't remember much about it all.

The Queen Of The Tearling
The Queen Of The Tearling
by Erika Johansen
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripped me!!, 26 Jun 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have always found it hard to find fantasy books that are appealing and accessable to me because I don't like them too heavy or overly complex. So I have to admit I picked up The Queen of the Tearling with a little trepidation. After a few chapters to find the flow, I found I was compleatly hooked!

Kelsea was an amazing character, she was relatable, strong, and intelligent. It made a nice change to read about a girl that wasn't completely involved in a complex love triangle, and her whole world didn't revolve around the pretty guy next to her! There was also a fantastic band of secondary characters (both good and bad), that added a real depth and different dynamic to the plot. It is not often I find a book what has switching POV where all the characters are equally entertaining.

The coming of age story, and fight to survive and gain the throne was both tense and well thought out, and although the book is lengthy, there was always something interesting happening to keep you invested in the story.

There was a slight issue with when the book is based, a little confusing as for most of the book it seems based in medieval times, but then you would get an old little mention of recessive genes, or the fact that all books have been destroyed that would remind you the book is supposed to be set in the future. This was a little jarring, and didn't work for me. This was a tiny problem though, and doesn't have enought impact on my enjoyment of the novel to affect my 5* rating.

A great book for someone starting out in the fantasy genre, exciting plot, entertaing characters, what's not to love? Can't wait for the sequels and for this to hit the big screen. :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-19