Profile for Aaron C. Braund > Reviews

Content by Aaron C. Braund

Aaron C. Braund "tek dude" (U.K)

Page: 1 | 2
SONY ERICSSON XPERIA ARC-X12 / XPERIA ARC S SCREEN PROTECTOR / GUARD / FILM / COVER 10-IN-1 PACK

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good quality!, 2 July 2011
I'm always wary of the 10 in 1 screen protector packs- past experiences have shown me that the more screen protectors included usually means poorer quality and a tendency to not fit properly.

Alas these packs are always cheaper and if you're anything like me you need more than one attempt to apply bubble free.

So you'll be happy to hear that these are actually great value for money! And a perfect fit too! First application I messed up but the second applied with no dust under the screen, there were four bubbles left that i couldn't squeegee out, but they have all vanished after a nights sleep. Great protection, which doesn't add extra glare to the screen.

One word of warning: use a different cleaning cloth, the one included is tiny and actually brings more dust!

Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc Touch Screen Sim Free Mobile Phone - Midnight Blue
Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc Touch Screen Sim Free Mobile Phone - Midnight Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful phone let down by some design flaws, 30 Jun. 2011
So I have been using my new Arc constantly for at least 24 hours now- it's an Android phone running Ginger bread (2.3) and it's over brimming with features: excellent camera (8MP), eye watering screen quality, elegant concave design... and it's got some power behind it. Okay it's no dual core super phone like the Galaxy S 2, but it performs just as fluidly.

Screen transitions are smoother than melting chocolate with some lovely animation thrown in when moving apps and widgets around the five home screens. Apps run flawlessly, opening and closing quickly and if you ever need another app to keep your thumbs twiddling, check out the fully stocked market which gets better everyday. Browsing is also for the most part buttery. Chaotic pages makes it lag a little. But for me the killer feature is the HDMI mirroring- I'm still astounded a single core processor can manage mirroring onto a 42 inch TV with absolutely no lag. Testament to the power of the 1ghz snapdragon processor rumbling beneath. Superb.

I must also congratulate Sony on the custom Android skin they have gone with. Some manufacturers e.g Samsung, Motorola, choose ugly skins with terrible, fat widgets. Sony's skin is aesthetically appealing and as soon as I saw it I didn't reach for a custom launcher.

Battery: Hmmmm, it's average for an Android handset. If you're new to Android battery is something you have to learn about quick- tonnes of processes and apps open = a fast draining battery.

Alas, it's not all plain sailing aboard this Arc. My biggest gripe is with the materials used to make the phone- it's plasticky, and makes for a hell of a lot of creaking. The phone buttons, e.g volume rocker, power, are also small and fiddly to use. Once pressed the buttons give off an unsatisfying creak. And then there's the dedicated camera/shutter button- which is a great idea but executed very poorly. Stiff, unyielding, creaky- the pressure you have to apply to the button is substantial, and more often than not will judder the phone. Then what do you get? Blurred photos. Not ideal at all.

Finally call quality is average- several of my calls have dropped out, coupled with some crackly reception. Maybe that's just the Orange network, maybe it's the Arc.

The Sony Ericsson Arc is a deceptive beast. It's beautiful looks makes you want to hold it, caress it even; but then you start fiddling with the buttons and you hear the creak. Okay it's not a massive sound but it's there. The build quality is good enough that it wont snap in your hand anytime soon.

The Arc offers a tonne of features making it a very competitive smartphone, and aside the minor issues, it's one of the very best, even squaring up to the impending dual core mass. Jump on board the boat, you won't be dissapointed.

UPDATE: 24 hours later and I have to say that the camera quality isn't just great, it's brilliant. I'd say at least compact camera standard. Fantastic in low light conditions also; definitely the best camera I've used on a phone.

Case-Mate Tough Cases for Samsung Galaxy S II - Black
Case-Mate Tough Cases for Samsung Galaxy S II - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate S2 protection, 5 Jun. 2011
The Samsung Galaxy S 2 is arguably, the greatest Android handset to date. Packed full of features, dual core processor, super AMOLED plus display... it's got it all.

So we need to protect all this good stuff right? Something that doesn't add too much bulk, with perfect cutouts for camera, charging etc. Something that doesn't collect dust like some gel cases do (I owned one of these but the dust collecting got.really.irritating -_-). And how about a nice design? Well... you've come to the right place. Owners of the old Galaxy S I9000 might tell you that the original Casemate tough case was easily the best protection for the phone. History has repeated itself once again. In every aspect.

An easy case to apply, the Galaxy S 2 fits first into a silicone layer. Then you apply the hard plastic shell as a second level of protection, which also improves grip thanks to the rugged back. One of the best features of the case is the raised front (to protect the screen) and raised back (to protect the protruding camera); I'm always skeptical about protruding cameras, but this case puts my mind at ease. It truly is the ultimate case, covering the whole phone, you even get a good quality screen protector thrown in.

Now. My major qualm with this case is the price which was also my issue with the I9000 Casemate tough case. It seems too much for essentially a piece of silicone and some plastic. But this is a five star case and we are protecting our 500+ quid investment so... *forks over money to salesperson*

I must add this case has been field tested by myself. Before you ask no it wasn't intentional. Walking with friends. Try to pull phone out. Hand clips something. Watch phone fall to unforgiving pavement. Waits with stupid expression for sound confirming breakage. No sound. Picks phone up. Unscathed! Hoorah! Exultations aside, if it is in your budget I strongly recommend this case. You will be able to geek out safe in the knowledge your phone is safe.

Thanks for reading.

Samsung i9100 Galaxy S 2 Black Gel Skin Case Cover
Samsung i9100 Galaxy S 2 Black Gel Skin Case Cover
Offered by Modern-Tech

4.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't expecting much..., 3 May 2011
For the first time in my life I decided to buy a case before the actual phone was released. Why I did it I have no idea; perhaps the thought of a 500+ plus handset getting a scratch within days of use would make me faint. However, at the time of looking for a Galaxy S 2 case there were no decent alternatives; no official ones and no well known brands. So I found this. Horrified by the idea of an unprotected phone I bought it, cheap enough to console myself if it was a turkey.

My preconception is that it wouldn't fit or would become akin to a rubber corset for my shiny new Android superphone. I'm pleased to report that there are no turkeys to be found here. You get decent protection which covers the back and sides with accurate cut outs for the camera and charging port. The gel material is tough and I would wager that it could take a knock (but I will not test drive this theory :P).

Okay, I'm not going to say it's the best case in the world as it does have some flaws. The gel is a dirt magnet and I do find myself wiping crumbage up way too often, also the cut out for the speaker isn't brilliant (just acceptable) I imagine the sound quality would be better if they moved it a little to the left, although none of the speaker is impeded. Lastly, it is a bit bland, but at two quid can't really complain.

So, if you are a doubter (like I was) don't be, it's a perfectly adequate case or a decent stop gap until some fancier cases come out on the market. Bargain protection.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2011 1:20 PM BST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars A modders dream, 8 April 2011
Okay. I'm not going to spend time talking about the features of the phone, their have been perfectly good reviews on the salient aspects already; this review is aimed at the tinkerers and tech enthusiasts (myself included). One note I will make to the people who do not give a damn about tinkering: it's a brilliant phone, fully featured, inexpensive by modern smartphone price standards and you'll gasp with joy when you see that display. It's a beauty.

So for the tinkerers; this is an easy phone to root. Incredibly easy in fact. Super one click it (Google) and the phone is rooted. All the lovely benefits of root in a procedure that's as easy as putting a usb cord in. Root gives you ultimate access over your phone so your free to modify system settings, delete bloatware etc. There are also some VERY useful applications that require root access. I can't stress the benefits of root.

You want to go further? A custom rom I hear you say? Again, Google Galaxy S custom roms and you get hundreds of links. Some of these are incredibly easy to flash but I do recommend reading as much as you can on the subject. If you want a personal preference I would go for Darky's or if you want something with better battery go Rom Kitchen or Insanity. A custom rom is basically an OS image that has been modified. Normally they offer higher functionality and smoothness (you may notice the Galaxy S lags a bit, a custom rom can eliminate this.)

So why am I writing a review on the hackability of the phone? I've seen some worrying developments; I recently switched over from a HTC wildfire. HTC recently gave the wildfire a froyo coating, updated the HBOOT and thus far, no one has rooted the phone. I'm not saying every manufacturer will do this, in fact it's probably a hidden USP for them to give the user the ability to root (I certainly buy phones based on their hacking ability). But with Google not releasing the source code for honeycomb, and HTC locking up many of it's handsets, the hacking future of android looks bleak.

Hopefully the Galaxy S 2 is as easy to tinker with :)

NOTE: you can damage your Galaxy if you don't know what you're doing via the above methods; rooting the phone will also void your warranty. I will not be held responsible for bricked handsets. Just read as much as you can, know what your doing and you'll be fine. There is also plenty of community support to turn to for tips and tricks :)

Happy hacking!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 11, 2011 1:27 PM BST

GOOGLE NEXUS S UNLOCKED CELL PHONE
GOOGLE NEXUS S UNLOCKED CELL PHONE

5.0 out of 5 stars Going gaga for Google, 18 Feb. 2011
POSITIVE: Android Gingerbread - endless customization- fast, next to no lag- vibrant, colourful display

NEGATIVES:No SD card slot- Android market still needs a LOT of work- applying screen protectors to the contour screen is hell

Had a HTC Desire HD before; loved Android, hated the phone, was just too massive. Bought an iPhone 4; was blissful in a Aldous Huxley, Brave New World kind of way. No challenges, everything was clean and simple. After awhile It kind of felt like I was in a prison, and Apple were always watching me, making sure every feature of the phone was locked down.

Needless to say I sold the iPhone, and bought this. Best decision in my gadget life. Android 2.3 to me is a mile improvement on 2.2. The phone just feels right: people moan about the plastic but did someone forget to mention it's good quality plastic? I prefer the feel of this to the monstrous Desire HD.

Performance? Running apps? Multitasking? It's a fast beast, crunching applications like they were nothing.

Customization? You got it in spades: themes, widgets, everything is adaptable to your own personal preference.

I thought the resolution would be disappointing after witnessing the retina scorching iPhone 4 display. Not so. The super amoled screen is so bright and colourful- that iPhone 4 resolution was quickly forgotten. Also the curved screen is charming, but you might strangle it applying a screen protector.

The omission of SD storage is strange and inconvenient and one of the major downers on this Google party. Alas there is 16GB on board but thats not removable. Speaking of Google, if you're a fan or use Google services like Gmail or Reader you can sync all your Google accounts with the phone. The Google Apps are excellent: check out the new 3D maps or set up your Gmail to get push email straight to your phone.

As for the Android App Market... *SIGH* it's really underwhelming, but it continually improves. Nevertheless, Apple rules the app wars. Google need to tighten this up ASAP but I envisage them making ground with Apple.

Damn good phone, simple as. If you want a brainless experience and are happy to do everything Apple tells you to do get an iPhone 4. If you want freedom to do whatever the hell you like within the software, get Android. If you want the best phone on the market, get the Nexus S.

Suppose I should have mentioned somewhere that it's good at making phone calls too.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 28, 2011 3:22 AM GMT

Samsung-Nexus S from Google Android 2.3 Smartphone Sim Free
Samsung-Nexus S from Google Android 2.3 Smartphone Sim Free

5.0 out of 5 stars Going gaga for Google, 17 Feb. 2011

Performance? Running apps? Multitasking? It's a fast beast, gobbling applications like they were nothing.

Speck PixelSkin HD for iPhone 4 - Black
Speck PixelSkin HD for iPhone 4 - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Have I got the same case?!?!, 29 Dec. 2010
So I've been reading the reviews on here for this case which I purchased a few weeks ago and am shocked at the negatives. I didn't use it for my iphone straight away because I bought a leather flip case- a style which I have always preffered. However this time round I had a sour experience with my iphone 4 flippy case- the hole for the camera was not big enough which left a vignette round the edge of my photos; not the effect I was looking for! It also started rubbing the metal sides which would have left marks If I had not intervened.

I was going to use this case as a stop gap till I purchased a new flip case, but I have decided it can stay. Not only has it eliminated the top two issues, but it is also made of a tough rubber material: much stronger than my last case and it really makes my Iphone feel more robust.

I have not encountered this power button issue that others have had and I don't find the case ugly at all; the only reason the case loses a star because getting it on did lift the screen protector slightly, but a squeege card sorted that out. The only other issue is I wish there was a flap at the front to double up the protection of the screen but I suppose I should have bought a flip case if I wanted that feature....

Overall, a great buy!

P.S Forgot to mention, I did not get this from the apple free case program. Perhaps those particular cases are of poorer quality hence beng a part of the case program.

Media Products UK HTC Desire HD Black SUPREME Protective Gel Case Skin + Free Screen Protector

2.0 out of 5 stars Great protection but don't recommend it, 17 Nov. 2010
First let me say, the case offers fantastic protection. It's a strong gel material and will keep the back of the HTC scratch free.

Now to the bad points: the case is totally impractical. Everytime you need to access the battery (say if you wanted to swap for a spare), the sim or the micro sd you have to take the protective case off. Annoying.

My biggest gripe with the case is ironically enough the gel. It gripped the material in my jeans when I tried to take the phone out as if it was clinging for life; very irritating if you need to get the phone out quickly to answer a call. The case also offers no protection to the protruding lens.

I used this for a day and then discarded it for the official HTC case: the PO S550. Not only does it offer protection for the lens but it is also easy to get out of the pocket.

HTC Desire HD ACE Pouch PO S550
HTC Desire HD ACE Pouch PO S550
Offered by FoneM8store

5.0 out of 5 stars Desireable protection, 17 Nov. 2010
First off I disagree with some of the reviews on here and you should too. I bought this case for my HTC desire HD (AWESOME PHONE) and it wasn't tight at all; it fits the phone perfectly, not too tight so you have to use force and not too loose that the phone flies out.

The pull cord is a stroke of genius and allows quick access to features. I have seen a comment that says it doesn't have a hole for headphone.... turn it upside down? Then you can access both the mini usb and jack.

The inside is lined with an uber soft material that does no damage to the lens of the camera or screen. In short, a perfect case!

NOTE: I did have a gel case on the phone but I find these impractical: you have to first take of the case before you can access the battery, sim and memory card compartments. The material also grips the inside of the pocket so its a bit of a nightmare fishing it out; the leather of this case is smooth and glides out of the pocket effortlessly.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 11, 2010 9:33 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2