Profile for Laura A > Reviews

Content by Laura A

Laura A "Brunettekoala" (Scotland)

Pilates Workout For Dummies [2001] [DVD]
Pilates Workout For Dummies [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Andrea Ambandos

5.0 out of 5 stars Really helpful DVD for beginners, 22 Dec. 2012
My friends and I started using this DVD as a cheaper alternative to classes. This DVD was actually better than any of the classes I'd been to before. All the exercises are explained clearly, as well as an introduction to explain the core elements of Pilates. The instructor emphasises quality over quantity, and you'll definitely feel the difference if you take the time to do exercises properly. It's also helpful to get someone to do it with you so they can guide you to see if your body alignment is correct.

All you need to do this is some space, a TV/DVD player, pilates mat and a cushion.

How I Met Your Mother - Season 1-2 [DVD]
How I Met Your Mother - Season 1-2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jason Segel

4.0 out of 5 stars Great show, 22 Dec. 2012
It was great to have the first two seasons, having watched episodes on TV out of order. The show makes much more sense when watched in order. The boxset includes all the episodes from season 1 and season 2. The season 1 discs also have some episodes with audio commentary from cast and crew.

My only complaint would be that the boxset does not include an episode guide.

Homemade Worship By Handmade People
Homemade Worship By Handmade People

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed live and at home, 9 Feb. 2012
I've seen this band live, and great to hear some music that doesn't all sound the same. My favourites are 'Alabaster Jar', 'You Are My Vision' and 'Build Your Kingdom Here'. A breath of fresh air from the usual Coldplay-sounding Christian bands I've often heard. Some great lyrics, rawness and real creativity in the music. The only blip is 'Shining Star' - I don't know what it is but I always have to skip that song.

NCIS: Los Angeles - Season 2 [DVD]
NCIS: Los Angeles - Season 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Chris O'Donnell

4.0 out of 5 stars Hetty is the backbone of this show, 9 Feb. 2012
If you liked the first season you'll love this season. More of the same NCIS LA, with the addition of Deeks as a regular character, and lots of Hetty - including a double episode which focuses a bit more on her past work as an agent during the Cold War. It's great to see the Dynamic Duos (Sam & Callen, Kensi & Deeks, Eric & Nell) with Hetty as the 'Gibbs' like figure overseeing and protecting her team with her unique sense of style and wisdom. It was great to see Nate as an agent, though sad to not see him as a regular character anymore.

Can't wait for Season 3!

Let the Healing Begin
Let the Healing Begin
by Jeannie Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for those with a Christian faith who have been through trauma, 9 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Let the Healing Begin (Paperback)
I heard Jeannie speak at a conference a couple of years ago, and from that was interested to read her book on healing. It is an excellent book with a mixture of self-help, questions and prayers to help people deal with trauma or difficult emotions. It had a mixture of facts, anecdotes and biblical quotations. Very easy to read and understand for those of a Christian faith.

Unspeakable Losses: Healing from Miscarriage, Abortion, and Other Pregnancy Loss
by Kim Kluger-Bell

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book on pregnancy loss, 9 Feb. 2012
This is one of the best books I've read on pregnancy loss. I have read a number of books on the issue of pregnancy loss (particularly abortion) and this was the first that I felt I could relate too. I really appreciated the author's honesty and neutrality - not getting mixed up in political debate but concentrating on those suffering loss. I also liked that it focused on experience of men as well as women, and the fact that it covered all kinds of pregnancy & baby loss.

An excellent book that I would recommend to anyone working to support clients through pregnancy loss, or that are trying to make sense of their emotions having gone through those kind of loss(es) themselves.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Disgusted that this is even on sale, never mind that someone would buy it., 28 Dec. 2011
I don't even want to give this a single star, and totally appalled that Amazon would allow something like this to be sold on their website. This is prejudiced, uncalled for and in seriously poor taste.