Profile for C. S. Smith > Reviews

Content by C. S. Smith

C. S. Smith "csoavesmith"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Sennheiser CX300-B High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Black
Sennheiser CX300-B High Quality Stereo Ear-Canal Headphones - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Too litte treble, 23 Nov. 2006
Great sound, but far too little treble, which is something I've never encountered before. Edit your equaliser and these are the ones. Punchy and crisp.

Question In The Form Of An Answer
Question In The Form Of An Answer

4.0 out of 5 stars Dope, 6 Sept. 2004
Other peoploe havent really said much about this release apart from the fact its sic. So hopefully I can shed some light.
I'm only going to give it 4 stars tho despite it being great. Im a harsh git.
ANYway, this album is another example of what puts are about. -They take you back to the days where all you have is some funky-ass loop going over and over and then spitting lyrics over the top about day-to-day life. Problems with friends and girls. About the records they've got having a laugh; the whole lot. None of that other crap. Its all about having fun. In an interview they said that even though things have changed for them now since they got a deal, they dont see why they have to stop living the life they love. So you can still find them kicking about crate digging and chilling. These guys seem to have life pretty sorted. They're rich. But they dont really need it.
Im quick to add that amazon reviewers seem to give 5 starts to anything thats underground and not a pile of crap. Thats why this is a 4 star for me. Yes it is an awesome album. Yes, once you get into it after 4 or so straight listens, you'll get what they're trying to do; and love it. But Im also keen to give a decent insight.
My only criticism is for some reason the album seems a little too long. But if that really is a bad thing then im just being spoilt .
They're on at the camden jazz cafe in october. you can be damn sure I'll be there!

Flutter
Flutter

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy it for the b-side, 5 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Flutter (Audio CD)
The track something for windy on the album 'dial m for monkey' is only 1:06 long. Here you get the full 5 minutes and even though its nothing super special, it deserved a proper spot on the album.
If you dont own DMFM then screw buying this single and hit the album staright off. you really wont be dissapointed at all.
If your broke though I spose this is a good place to start!

Soul Survivor 2
Soul Survivor 2

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul Brother No. 1, 28 May 2004
This review is from: Soul Survivor 2 (Audio CD)
Soul survivor 2 is definitely a good record. If pete rock even so much as sneezed on another man's record, it would be good. So we can get that out the way. Yes, this album is good.
But something's missing and i cant quite put my finger on it. I think its the fact that alot of the tracks on here dont quite carry that classic pete rock soul vibe. Rather more of a tight rap cd. I'm more of an old school fan myself, so I think this is were the divide will come.
The stand out track for me has to be' da villa' feat slum village, not so much for the horns but for the haunting beat that loops in the back when the mcing kicks off. I could grind that one out all day.
Overall I'd say by todays hiphop/rap standards, this is a very good cd. PR fans wont be dissapointed (im not) -but if you're also a fan of the old school ish, i recommend the 'centre of attention' lp. I think you can get it on a 'lost tapes' cd now. Now THATS the bomb

O.S.T.
O.S.T.
Offered by digitalmediadistribution

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but not the greatest, 28 May 2004
This review is from: O.S.T. (Audio CD)
Every head should own at least 2 puts albums
Awesome samples
Sweet loops
real mcing
can be played any time of day cos its that good
Questions.... is a fair bit better though
Brisk!

The Sickness
The Sickness

4.0 out of 5 stars Dope, 28 May 2004
This review is from: The Sickness (Audio CD)
Yo this cd right here is crazy hot . Okay, I'll stop talking like a freak. But the cd is dope.
I got a 5-track sampler of this afew weeks back and my usual reaction is 'Great. Another shit freebie that'll shred my magazine when i peel it off, just so i can throw it in the bin'. But after reading the interviews etc i decided to spin it and let it bump for a while. I gotta say that I was pretty damn happy I did. Track 2 is off the sugar bag and decent dj's will be spinning that track for a long time. The rest is also pretty decent.
So i havent really described what the music is like. Po originates from the crew 'organised confusion' and when that came to an end in the 90's, Po's partner went solo and hit the underground big time pretty quickly. His partner was of course, Pharoah Monch.
Po however kept things a lil more real doing his thing and generally keeping his feet on the ground. i dont know what inspired him to release this cd now, but Im sure as hell happy he did.
Think rap, except for the mature bboy. its not crap.
If the rest of the album holds up to the freebies on the sampler, this is going to be one album you are definitely going to want to own.

Get Rich Or Die Tryin'
Get Rich Or Die Tryin'
Offered by TwoRedSevens

2.0 out of 5 stars Am I the only guy who thinks gangsta rap should be illegal?, 4 May 2004
This review is from: Get Rich Or Die Tryin' (Audio CD)
And no, Im not a middle-aged soccer mum, or a grandad. Im 19 and bounce to real hip hop. Lets just go over what that means again:
A skilled dj looping a sample and adding cuts to an mc who says what's on his mind.
Now where does 'fiddy' and his counterparts come into this? Oh yeah, right; sitting in a studio rapping over pop music. Okay, so its classed as hip hop to the musically challenged world (hello capital fm) but can you hear the loop? No. Can you hear the dj work? No. Does the song have a chorus? Yes. Does the song follow the classic chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus format? Yes. And you still say it isnt pop music?
Okay, so Im not going to kill 50 along with the other gangsta rappers, cos the tunes are good to dance to and gets the clubs going, so you can credit them with the ability to make music to dance to, but when you're walking around do you really want to hear some rich media-mogul with no taste, talk about how he's the best and anyone who challenges him will perish over and over again for an entire album? How dull do you have to be to want to listen to that?
Educate yourself -Go buy some tribe, puts, hiero, jaylib ish. -At least Tupac kept it real and fresh.
but yeah, if you listen to the radio and want to clap your hands in unison, this'll probably suit you just fine.

Dungeon Family.. Even In The Darkness
Dungeon Family.. Even In The Darkness
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 23 Mar. 2004
Should you buy this album? I think you probably should.
Is the mcing good? Yes. It's tight. Each dude has a great voice. Each dude has their own style. As a collective, they work in perfect unison without ever stealing tracks or going off the plot. The rhymes are fast, funny, witty and damn good.
Whats the music like? Its good too. Its different. What would you expect from a collective called 'dungeon family'? Some of the tracks are a little darker, but then some are upbeat and awesome. Nearly each track is pressed hard with rap, but etched with soul vibes. You never really know if your rapping or singing along.
Lastability? I bought this months ago. It took me a short while to warm to the entire album. Gradually I found myself liking more and more songs until it lay dorment in my cd wallet for around 2 months. When I pulled it out and played it, I couldnt believe I had put it away for so long. I was in one of those situations where i kept finding tracks I'd never really given a chance, and then loving them. This album is a great album (in the original sense of the word). There are no fillers here. Its all gold.
Anything else? Not really. What else do you need to know? The production is tight. The beats are tight. The mcing is tight. Its both old and new skool combined. Its hardcore rap and soul gelled as one. Its easy to listen to, but holds so much in it. this is a hidden gem. A diamond in the rough.
Have it.

Maim That Tune
Maim That Tune

3.0 out of 5 stars The Subtle Class, 27 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Maim That Tune (Audio CD)
To be honest, I really didnt know what to expect with this cd. I had heard of fila b before, but in my mind I had pretty much thought it would be some kind of jazzy chilled drum and bass or something. Well, Im pretty damn wrong, but thats okay!
This cd really is something different. It is ultimately background music. It doesnt leap out at you. To be honest, half the time it was on I didnt even notice it. but its that subtlety which makes it different. Whenever I did tune in to it, realsising there was music playing I realised I had been bopping along to it in my mind, even if I hadnt noticed.
Towards the end of the album it got so chilled and so subtle that even when I was listening, I couldnt tell for sure whether the sounds were coming or going.
In a nutshell, -I've just re-writeen this paragraph. There is no nutsell. Screw the nutshell. Its electric chill music. Its slow to progress, which can be both good and bad. At times a tad boring. Other times its genius.
To be honest, Im not so sure this is the kind of chill out music I really dig, but it is creative, and chilled, and so individual. I would give it 4 stars because I recognise that it is a very good record. However, since this is an individual review, Im onlu going to award it with3 stars. It is a good cd though. I can perhaps even see myself getting another fila b cd in the future.

Bridging The Gap
Bridging The Gap

4.0 out of 5 stars its good, 25 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Bridging The Gap (Audio CD)
This album is the sound of the peas before they, I hate to say it, sold out. Okay, they're not selling out now exactly, but they've hit mainstream pop head on. This was back when they still rapped about the life and alot can still be taken out from this record. It isnt the true definition of hip hop, but its still true to the cause. I have to say this is one of my old favourites. If you dont know how the peas used to sound think about losing the chick (except for backing vocals) and then a think tribe called quest. For anyone who likes their new stuff I would say if you want to move away from mainstream pop, this may be a good place to start, but if you prefer hip-Pop, go buy justin timberlake's album. For the cats who know they're hip-hop, this is a pretty decent album, though as I said, some times they do sound like a diluted version of Tribe.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3