Profile for Robert R Selvendran > Reviews

Content by Robert R Selve...

Robert R Selvendran

Conversations with God, Book 1: An Uncommon Dialogue
Conversations with God, Book 1: An Uncommon Dialogue
by Neale Donald Walsch

2.0 out of 5 stars Not conversations with God, but with self !, 18 July 2013
I was very disappointed with this book. The author has very little or no apprehension of what genuine conversations with God will elicit in a person. I'm not interested in saying anything more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2014 3:52 PM GMT

Indian Philosophy: Volume I: with an Introduction by J.N. Mohanty: v. 1 (Oxford India Collection)
by Radhakrishnan

4.0 out of 5 stars Reasons for purchasing this book, 13 Feb 2013
I can only say that the book reached me in excellent condition. I wanted to purchase this book because Radhkrishnan was a very good philosopher, and wrote realistically and meaningfully about the Hindu philosophy. In the UK, Christians don't read books by Hindu philosophers and are 'poorer' for it. I have read other books by Radhakrishnan, but this book will serve a special purpose for me. After perusal, I want to write a short review for Amazon.co.uk., but this will take time, because I'm now reading some books on Science and Christian Faith. Furthermore, Radhakrishnan's books are not an easy read and require a lot of concentration.

I'm a very keen Christian, who would like to communicate the Christian Faith to Hindus, and I can think of no better way than to see how I would stand up to a strong Hindu philosopher, who was a genuinely good man.

I wouldn't have normally written this piece, but your questainnaire was so worded that I had to respond...Robert Selvendran.

Alone in the Universe?
Alone in the Universe?
by David A. Wilkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars Comments on 'Alone in the universe, 27 Jan 2013
This review is from: Alone in the Universe? (Paperback)
I found the book informative and helpful, but some aspects of possible life-initiators from outer space was not adequately covered. I felt that the author should have refered more to at least two good books by Hoyle and Wickremasinghe.

Important Doctrines of the True Christian Religion: Explained, Demonstrated and Vindicated from Vulgar Errors (1848)
by Samuel Noble

5.0 out of 5 stars A very important book on Christian Doctrines, 1 Jan 2012
The book on Christian Doctrines by Samuel Noble is the best I have read on the subject. Despite the fact that it was first published in 1848, I found it very readable,clear, and thorough. I have read several books on Christian Doctrines, including the Early Christian Doctrines by J.N.D.Kelly.In my view the manner in which the Christian Doctrines are presented by Noble will stand the test of time.It will stand up to true,careful,critical and realistic Biblical scrutiny, and is the type of book that is required to meet the challenges of scientific developments and associated inquiry in the 21st century.The Introduction by George Bush is laudable.
However,I must warn the superficial reader to read(prayerfully)at least several key chapters in the book about 'The Person and work of the Lord Jesus Christ'before deciding on the veracity of the contents of the book.I have been a practicing Chrstian for over 50 years, and have been a research scientist in plant systems for over 30 years,following a PhD in 'Plant Biochemistry' at Cambridge University,UK. Therefore, I know what I am talking about when it comes to reading the Bible in the context of present day science.An interested inquirer may like to look-up my article on 'The unique Divinity Of Jesus Christ...',on[...] Robert R Selvendran, PhD,ScD(Camb.).

Escape from Death: Story of Sadhu Sundar Singh (Faith in Action)
Escape from Death: Story of Sadhu Sundar Singh (Faith in Action)
by Douglas Stewart Hare

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful insights into some aspects of Sadhu Sundar Singh's life., 28 Nov 2011
I have read several biographies on Sundar Singh, but found this booklet helpful, despite it's relatively small size. The short account is well written. However, I thought that the postage was a little excessive for a booklet. Robert Selvendran.

Talking Science
Talking Science
by Adam Hart-Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Good insights into the mind-set of leading scientists, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: Talking Science (Paperback)
I have read most of the interviews given in this book and found them helpful and insightful. Adam Hart-Davis is an entertaining TV presenter and I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I would recommend it without reservation, and was able to purchase a good second-hand copy for a very reasonable price through amazon.co.uk .
Robert Selvendran.