Profile for Anna > Reviews

Content by Anna

Anna

Where Bluebirds Fly
Where Bluebirds Fly

5.0 out of 5 stars Wake up world, our 'difficult' children are rubies and pearls., 25 Jan 2013
This is the second book that I've read by Wendy Storer and it didn't disappoint. The story of the youthful Ruby Garnet who finds herself in a school for 'difficult children.' However, by being helped to play again, she discovers that there is both hope and a future and - most importantly - it's not she who is difficult, but the life she has so far lived. Wendy Storer also uses this book to bring in the complexities of the adult world (in this case a Mum who finds it excrutiatingly difficult to be a single parent of two children and to walk away from her charismatic bad 'un of a husband). There is also a lovely theme around the children's names - Ruby Garnet and Pearl, precious gems of children whose shimmering is muddied by the travails of an unfair world. School libraries, invest. Lesson plans, accommodate this book into your 'reading out loud' sessions - these are real problems facing real young people and reading this book can only help increase awareness of these sensitive issues.

Bring Me Sunshine
Bring Me Sunshine

5.0 out of 5 stars Topical and serious issues for young people beautifully addressed in a book that can be appreciated by all ages., 25 Jan 2013
This review is from: Bring Me Sunshine (Kindle Edition)
I couldn't put this book down, at one point (around 4am) I considered using matchsticks to keep my eyes open. Daisy, having lost her Mum, finds that she is also losing her Dad, who is increasingly preoccupied with disappearing keys, money and his musical talent. The responsibility for the routine care of her brother (the gorgeously edible Samster) increasingly falls on her shoulders and Daisy, who has no idea what is going on with her Dad, becomes increasingly frightened, depressed and isolated from her own world of friends, love interests and music.

I've read two of Wendy Storer's books now and each have similar themes, young people with problems whose names suggest what in a fairer world they should be doing (Daisy Meadows should be smelling the flowers and making daisy chains at this point in her young life). Equally Ms. Storer provides us with insights into the complex world of adults (a grieving father who is also losing his health) and the growing problems of young carers who, as public services retreat in the UK, increasingly face being the front line providers of care to their ailing family member.

As someone who has experienced the latter I can say, hand on heart, that this book provides precious insights for both young people and adults into this sad and growing problem. I think school libraries in particular should carry this book, indeed it should be read out in class to assist awareness and understanding of a serious issue that affects many young people. Vampires have their place (maybe!) but this book is about real problems in a real world. I can only congratulate Myslexia for having the insight to shortlist this book as it truly deserves to do well. Exceptional.

The Invisible Ones
The Invisible Ones
by Stef Penney

4.0 out of 5 stars Brave of you Stef, 27 April 2012
This review is from: The Invisible Ones (Hardcover)
I don't envy Stef having to follow on from 'Wolves', which I am sure will still be read for years to come. I struggled at first with this book, it was the first I had read on kindle, and I think some of it was down to that. I admired the bravery of writing solely from a male perspective, and across the generations. I think it mostly worked. I wasn't wowed, but I do plan to read it again.

The Greatcoat
The Greatcoat
by Helen Dunmore

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read if you want to experience beautiful writing., 27 April 2012
This review is from: The Greatcoat (Hardcover)
This book is so beautifully written it made my skin tingle. A truly haunting, compelling book. If you like suspending your imagination and getting lost in beautiful words, this is the book for you.

The Woman Before Me
The Woman Before Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Ruth, you can do better, 27 April 2012
This book has real potential, but it is hindered by poor editing (the inscription on Joel's tomb as example), the use of over-worn phrases and clichés, and a rather incredulous ending. But Ruth has considerable talent, even with these faults I found it hard to put down, some of the writing is beautifully evocative. I believe Ruth could be a great writer with more attention to detail.

The Lady's Slipper (Macmillan New Writing)
The Lady's Slipper (Macmillan New Writing)
by Deborah Swift

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first book, 12 Aug 2010
Historical fiction is not what I usually read, but I found Deborah Swift's book impossible to put down - I read it in one session ending at 4am. The plot is uncomplicated but so gripping that I just had to know the end. What sustained my interested was not just the plot, but the attention to detail, the book was like a video in my head, I could see the scenes, hear the voices, sense the colours of that time in history.

This is an excellent first novel. Well done DeborahThe Lady's Slipper (Macmillan New Writing). I'll definitely read the next one.