Shop now Shop now Shop Clothing clo_fly_aw15_NA_shoes Shop All Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop Fire TV Shop now Shop Fire HD 6 Shop Kindle Paperwhite Shop now Shop Now Shop now
Profile for J. Potts > Reviews

Content by J. Potts

J. Potts "Twiggy" (Nottingham, UK)

Ivy Lane: Summer: Part 2
Ivy Lane: Summer: Part 2

5.0 out of 5 stars Better Than Medicine and Food for the Soul..., 12 July 2014
I should write lots more and will soon, but just in case I don't, I was genuinely sad when my lovely episode of escapism ended - roll on September!! I'll proofread "Autumn" for free... I'm not kidding! ;-)

The Essential Dixie Chicks
The Essential Dixie Chicks

5.0 out of 5 stars The Business, 4 Jun. 2013
Fantastic compilation of tunes from the feisty trio. I will bring down the wrath of Fleetwood Mac fans by saying the Dixie Chicks' version of "Landslide" is better than the original - but it is. Super sassy blue grass - and not as remorselessly sad as Alison Krauss can be (still an amazing voice though!)

Quand J'ai Parti
Quand J'ai Parti
Offered by direct-2-u

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, lovely Cajun, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Quand J'ai Parti (Audio CD)
I've always loved loads of World music but got back into Cajun when my 3 year old started watching the TV programme "Abney & Teal" which features Toby Dog, who plays Cajun on a squeezebox. I'd forgotten how much I'd loved it in the past. Stumbled across "French Blues" (one of the tracks on this CD) on a complation CD and I bought "Quand J'ai Parti" on the strength of that track, which leapt into my top 20 songs of all time "with a bullet!" the first time I heard it. David Doucet is brilliant, and he uses guitar a lot more that some other Cajun performers, which makes his music stand out as the same but different in a good way. In my mind, although I love the whole CD, the standout track is still "French Blues" but the whole thing is simply lovely - if (at the time I bought it) pretty expensive in comparison to many CDs at the moment.

Melissa & Doug Chef Puppet
Melissa & Doug Chef Puppet

1.0 out of 5 stars A Wasted Opportunity, 19 Aug. 2012
= Durability:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Melissa & Doug Chef Puppet (Toy)
This is a well made, good looking toy as you would expect from Melissa & Doug. But, like the endless comments about lots of their great toys being let down by an obvious flaw ( most often the beautifully packaged product has no lid), this toy is let down by a couple of obvious flaws. The chef looks a lot like a Muppet (this is not a problem unless your little one doesn't like the Muppets).
The most fundamental problem is that the arms have no holes in to work them - you can only work the mouth. This makes any puppet a bit one-dimensional, but particularly a puppet that's supposed to mimic an 'active' role like a chef. I also couldn't detach the long wooden pole that came fixed in the puppet's hand either, so the arm in question just flopped about hopelessly. A well made toy let down (again...)by a couple of fundamental design flaws. What a shame.I don't know if M&D read their reviews, but looking at the vast number of "beautifully made toys but let down by the lack of a lid" comments, and thinking the same myself about products I've bought from them in the past (stamping sets, cooking toys)I'm starting to wonder if they're resting on their laurels, and whether Melissa & Doug are benefiting from "Emperor's New Clothes Syndrome" - everyone says how wonderful their toys are but really, they aren't as perfect as we'd all love them to be.

Family Guy Men's Stewie Trust Short Sleeve T-Shirt, Black, Large
Family Guy Men's Stewie Trust Short Sleeve T-Shirt, Black, Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Stewietastic, 31 Oct. 2011
He's the Man - and after a string of dodgy diagnoses from the NHS it just said exactly what I wanted to say!

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Let's have some sizing please!, 4 Sept. 2011
I'm trying REALLY hard to stick 2 fingers up to a really cr*p cancer diagnosis. I thought I'd look for something that (although it's probably cashing in on people like me and their anger and defiance)mentally helped me flick a V to what's going on, especially when I'm in treatment.

HOLD ON!! - Cafepress! Just what I was looking for, short of printing my own!

Er, hang on! No size selection for the (extremely sassy) women's tees!

Sizes for the mens, but hey, I feel little enough of a woman enough just now, without having to opt for a "safe" men's size which will just make me feel like a sad patient in an expensive albeit cleverly-worded sack.

A fantastic idea, poorly executed. Missed opportunity, you not-as-clever as you thought marketeers.

I'm still waiting for someone along this whole, miserable journey to surprise & delight me, SIMPLY by doing the job they say they'll do (and that includes Macmillan - another big disappointment so far).

One star for a good idea. Nil points otherwise.

Deuter Kid Comfort Sun amp; Rain Cover
Deuter Kid Comfort Sun amp; Rain Cover

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says on the, er pack., 8 Nov. 2010
A good cover for an excellent kiddy carrier. Shame it isn't included as standard as the kiddy carrier isn't cheap. But I hate to say the whole package is worth it. Don't go for cheap unless it works - Deuter, although by no means cheap,seems to make its carriers & rucksacks supremely comfortable - it must be the way they sit on the hips. I'm 5'1" and it's the only kiddy carrier that fits both me and hubby fantastically - and hubby (who's not tall but a different shape, being all manly like)loves it too. Check out the rucksacks - again not cheap, but I now know it's worth paying for miles of comfort!

Words Let's Get Talking (My First)
Words Let's Get Talking (My First)
by Kindersley Dorling
Edition: Board book

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Value For Money, 15 July 2010
All the Dorling Kindersley books of this type share several features. They're bright, robust and cheerful:each page has a number of prompts so you're reminded what sorts of questions you can ask your children about the page. Each chunky tab helps bambino get to a specific page simply and quickly. Very important when you need to see kittens in a hurry.

They're good on a number of levels, from tiny nipper who's just starting to identify different images, to the older toddler who's expanding their vocabularly, to the 'I'm going to tell you a story about EVERYTHING' toddler who has a ready made story on every page.

Just don't jump in and buy the lot though - you might find that you've got enough info in a couple of books (e.g. first words and numbers) without going for the whole shebang. You can always get them later!