Profile for Christine L > Reviews

Content by Christine L

Christine L (Berkshire, England)
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
The Low Carb High Fat Cookbook
The Low Carb High Fat Cookbook
by Sten Sture Skaldeman

2.0 out of 5 stars Slightly boring and badly translated, 5 Jan 2014
My main problem with this cookbook is the translation. The translator doesn't seem very familiar with English speaking countries and doesn't know much English cooking vocabulary. I'm a native Swedish speaker and a foodie, and bought the translated version as it was cheaper, but am now regretting it as the bad translation in places keeps annoying me.

Translation aside, I find quite a few of the recipes a bit same-y and lacking imagination. If this is what LCHF is supposed to be like I'll grow tired of it within weeks. I know that it's supposed to be Scandinavian cooking, but if they can use sambal oelek they could use a few more spices especially as Scandinavians themselves love Asian and Mexican flavours and happily add them to their traditional recipes.

3 Tier Flower Fountain / Planters
3 Tier Flower Fountain / Planters
Offered by Electric Mania Store

1.0 out of 5 stars Collapsed from the weight of the compost, 18 May 2013
This review is from: 3 Tier Flower Fountain / Planters
Do NOT buy this. The workmanship is very poor and it was nearly impossible to get it reasonably straight. Then when I filled the baskets with compost to prepare for my plants the entire thing collapsed in a heap. This is an absolute waste of money and I will not buy anything from this manufacturer ever again.

The Neighbour
The Neighbour
by Lisa Gardner

4.0 out of 5 stars 5 stars until the last chapter, 4 Aug 2009
This review is from: The Neighbour (Hardcover)
Although I missed Lisa Gardner's usual characters, it was nice to re-visit some other characters from the past. As with every book she's written, Lisa Gardner has created a page turner full of speed, twists and turns. Suspect number 1 appears in the first pages, then there's suspect number 2, followed by numbers 3 and 4. With each page, more questions are being asked and I couldn't put it down, needing to know the answers, and read it in less than 2 days. My only criticism regards how the mystery was wrapped up. Some of it was a bit too tidy and unrealistic and it left me a little bit disappointed. I would've wanted something a bit more clever and believable. But don't let that put you off reading it. If you like Lisa Gardner's books, you'll love this and I'd say that most fans are prepared to overlook my criticisms, as I was.

Jam and Jerusalem: The Complete Series One [DVD] (2006) (2-Disc Set)
Jam and Jerusalem: The Complete Series One [DVD] (2006) (2-Disc Set)
Dvd ~ Sue Johnston
Offered by rileys dvds

5.0 out of 5 stars More, more, more!!!, 4 Aug 2009
As usual when it comes to something by Jennifer Saunders and/or Dawn French this is an absolute comedic gem. It's clever, it's warming and it's utterly hilarious. At a first glance you might think that a comedy drama about some old women in a tiny village might not sound all that appealing, but don't let that put you off. There are old and young characters, from the obviously funny to the sarcastically clever. I missed the first series, but bought it as soon as I'd fallen in love with the second series and they're both worth more than 5 stars.

Getting Rid of Matthew
Getting Rid of Matthew
by Jane Fallon

2.0 out of 5 stars Promised a lot but didn't deliver, 30 July 2009
This review is from: Getting Rid of Matthew (Paperback)
This sounded like a hilarious book and I couldn't wait to read it. Was I ever in for a disappointment! There really aren't any redeeming features to any of the characters in this book. I don't want to give the plot away, but don't read this book if you want to be able to divide the characters into good guys and bad guys because they simply range from bad to despicable. This in itself wouldn't be so bad if the book was the page turning laugh fest that I'd been promised, but again that wasn't the case. The humour is cheap and actually not very funny at all.

I think the book is supposed to appeal to fans of Sophie Kinsella, but where she puts some cheek and likability into her books, Ms Fallon seems to think that you don't need to put any soul into a book just because it falls into the holiday read and chick lit categories. I personally doubt that this book would have been published if it weren't for the fact that she is the other half of Ricky Gervais.

No Time For Goodbye
No Time For Goodbye
by Linwood Barclay

4.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't put it down, 30 July 2009
This review is from: No Time For Goodbye (Paperback)
Linwood Barclay seems to possess two qualities that make him a writer worth reading, especially if you're into books in the crime genre. In this book he proves that he can create a plot that keeps you guessing and turning the pages and he also manages to send a slight chill down your spine. Another fact that adds to the appeal of this book is that it's written from the point of view of someone who really is just a supporting character and you get to experience the story through the eyes of a third party, but not an anonymous voice, rather someone who is emotionally involved.

I think it was a very good find by the Richard & Judy book club. I think it shows great potential and I really like the fact that Barclay is intent on writing a story that doesn't follow any formula, but one that indicates a unique style and intelligent plotting. My only criticism of this book is that his characters appear a bit whiney at times and that makes it hard to like them.

Too Close to Home
Too Close to Home
by Linwood Barclay

3.0 out of 5 stars Great plot, but needed a better story teller, 30 July 2009
This review is from: Too Close to Home (Paperback)
Someone likened Linwood Barclay's style to that of Harlan Coben. That's true and untrue. The plot was worthy of Harlan Coben, but Coben would have told it much better than Barclay did. The plot in itself merits 5 stars. Without giving away any secrets, it is a very well constructed plot with countless twists and turns and many red herrings to keep you turning the pages.

What it lacks is the ability by the author to tell it in a way that keeps you interested. Barclay's dialogues are sometimes stilted and he seems to spend a lot of time on details of little consequence and hardly any time on details that would actually bring the story forward in a logical manner. Worst of all, he handled the little clue that gave a first hint of "whodunnit" so clumsily that it ruined some of the suspense of the second half of the book.

Perhaps 3 stars is a bit mean. I think Barclay showed a lot of potential in No Time For Goodbye, but he doesn't quite live up to it with this book. I hope that he spends more time honing his writing craft for his next book. A great plot will get you far, but in order for your readers to keep coming back you need to work on your dialogues and story telling.

The 19th Wife
The 19th Wife
by David Ebershoff

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, but disjointed, 30 July 2009
This review is from: The 19th Wife (Paperback)
Reading the blurb, I was sure that I would enjoy this book, and it did keep me reading from start to finish with quite a degree of interest. But something was lacking.

The two stories told in this book are both interesting and both deserve being told. The historic part is based on true events and individuals, but retold in fiction. The modern part is complete fiction (although one does wonder how close to the truth it really is). There were a lot of parallels between the historic and modern tales, but somehow it felt a little bit stilted and my overall feeling when I'd finished the book was that neither story had been given the attention and detail that it deserved.

I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone looking for a light holiday read, nor for anyone looking for accurate accounts of Mormon history. But it is a fascinating read, and so very close to being a masterpiece. If you're an avid reader looking for something different to get stuck into I think you'll enjoy it.

When Will There Be Good News?: (Jackson Brodie)
When Will There Be Good News?: (Jackson Brodie)
by Kate Atkinson

4.0 out of 5 stars I never thought I'd write a positive review about Kate Atkinson, 30 July 2009
I had previously picked up one book by Kate Atkinson - Emotionally Weird. It was one or the worst books I've ever had the misfortune to read and I actually gave up halfway and vowed never to read anything by Ms Atkinson ever again. Imagine my dismay when my book group picked When Will There Be Good News as its next read. Still, I had to try it and you could have knocked me over with a feather when I not only enjoyed it, I really liked it and decided to buy the first two Jackson Brodie novels as well.

This book ticks so many boxes. It has interesting characters. The plot has more twists and turns than I'll ever remember. It's unpredictable. It definitely leaves you wanting more. It's not a traditional crime novel, but I think it's one of those rare books that cross over the genres and it does it well. It definitely qualifies as a page turner as I just wanted to find out how everything fitted together.

If you've read Kate Atkinson before and not liked her, try this one. You won't be disappointed.

Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum 15)
Finger Lickin' Fifteen (Stephanie Plum 15)
by Janet Evanovich

4.0 out of 5 stars I felt like I'd read it before, 30 July 2009
I've read every single Stephanie Plum novel so it's perhaps not surprising that I came away from this book feeling that I'd read it all before. It doesn't come as a surprise when you pick up a Plum novel that it's written according to a tried and tested formula. It has the characters we've grown to love, lots of laughs (mainly courtesy of Grandma Mazur and Lula) and some slapstick comedy. It's getting a bit tired though. In this book Evanovich wants us to believe that super human Ranger is so stupid that he needs the lovable airhead Stephanie to profile and solve a crime.

Let's move on with Stephanie and Morelli or Ranger. Let's give them some new challenges and domestic issues than the ones we've been through so many times. Something. Anything! I love the Plum novels and don't want to see them end, but they need something new to keep our interest.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12