Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Content by Amazon Customer

Amazon Customer "anthonyjohn" (Wales)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
RTA 30-Bottle Ready-to-Assemble Wine Rack - Natural Pine / Galvanised Steel
RTA 30-Bottle Ready-to-Assemble Wine Rack - Natural Pine / Galvanised Steel
Offered by Cheerful Bargains Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars 30 bottle wine rack, 2 Dec. 2013
I found assembly quite simple,instructions easy to follow. however when in position I found the standard wine bottle fell through onto bottle below as the spaces were too big and there was nothing at the back for the bottles to rest on. Probably ideal for Champagne bottle size.

Frostborn: The Gray Knight (Frostborn #1)
Frostborn: The Gray Knight (Frostborn #1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable tale., 28 Nov. 2013
This is the first Moeller book I've read so I can't comment on his usual standard of story-telling.

Judging by the number of books listed on his Amazon page I suggest he goes more for quantity than for quality.
The tale is enjoyable within the genre and if you enjoy interminable scenes of combat where the hero devastates various evil hordes with his steel-loaded quarter-staff, on a very regular basis, then this is the book for you.
Personally I prefer a more Abercrombie-ish style of combat where everybody takes a bit of harm and the hero manages to bleed too.

Pity really, this has the making of a good tale series if only the author would get down to writing with considerably more seriousness and depth.

I am about to start the second book of the series, but am not expecting much more from the second than I got from the first.

City of Ruin: Legends of the Red Sun: Book Two
City of Ruin: Legends of the Red Sun: Book Two

4.0 out of 5 stars Good News for the fantasy genre., 23 Nov. 2013
I spend a lot of time browsing Kindle fantasy and scifi in search of worthwhile reading. I haven't had much luck lately and my Kindle seems to be filling up with rubbish. Thank goodness the reviews for N of V were reliable.

I very much enjoyed the first book of what I hope will be a lengthy series and am now about to download the next one, 'City of Ruin'.

Keep 'em coming please, Mr. Newton, and thanks.

Sovereign Stone (Sovereign of the Seven Isles Book 2)
Sovereign Stone (Sovereign of the Seven Isles Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good series in the offing., 2 Nov. 2013
Just finished 'Thinblade', the first book, and quite enjoyed it. Am now downloading the next in the series.

It looks as though the series may follow along in the style of the David Eddings Mallorean etc books.
I look forward to including the series to my ongoing series list for the coming winter evenings.

If you enjoyed the Mallorean and Belgariad series, you will enjoy this.

Battlecruiser Alamo: Victory or Death
Battlecruiser Alamo: Victory or Death

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too technical, 29 Oct. 2013
I have enjoyed the first two books in the series and am just about to download the third. They are pure space opera and manage to be fast and entertaining: they do, however, suffer a bit from a lack of technical detail.

The only thing wrong with the books, apart from those mentioned by other reviewers, is the rather irritating habit that Mr Tongue has given his people, of slapping the table/desk during almost every office confrontation between his people. I have never been in a space force so I am not really qualified to comment on their customs or service etiquette, but I must say that anyone slapping a desk at me, would be on the receiving end of my plasma stunner.

Tomorrow, the Killing: Low Town 2
Tomorrow, the Killing: Low Town 2

2.0 out of 5 stars Medieval Micky Spillane with a bit of magic thrown in., 9 July 2013
I enjoyed the Straight Razor but am half way through this one and about to ditch it, unfinished.
The story isn't too bad but the writers use of language is getting me down with it's inconsistency.

Modern day Americanisms and American gutter-slang don't somehow sit well in a medieval fantasy world, no matter how hard-bitten.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 19, 2014 11:55 PM BST

Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow
Blood Song: Book 1 of Raven's Shadow
by Anthony Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly good., 7 July 2013
What a relief, the previous reviewers have got it spot on. Here we have a story that is far-ranging but very focused and best of all, it is well written and holds interest throughout.
Great story, can't wait for the next one.

Another thing, it is so welcome to discover that there are new and very good authors writing in the fantasy genre.
I, for one, am fed-up with plowing through all the huge quantities of published rubbish that is now cluttering the fantasy and science fiction scene

Brass Man (Agent Cormac Book 3)
Brass Man (Agent Cormac Book 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Spatterjay., 2 Jun. 2013
This review will cover all the Spatterjay novels.

I loved every one of them.
Read them in order and your in for a treat.

The Lost Fleet: Dauntless
The Lost Fleet: Dauntless

3.0 out of 5 stars Thanks for the reviews., 2 Jun. 2013
Thanks to all those who reviewed the series. It pays to read the reviews. In fact they saved me the cost of the subsequent 5 books in the series.

I read the 1st in the series and found it to be annoyingly enjoyable insofar as I enjoyed the tale but found the quality of the writing and characterizations to be a bit juvenile.and immature.

The reviews told me that I could expect 5 more similar episodes in plot and style. I worked out that the series of 6 books might make one fairly substantial novel that, given the quality of the writing, I would not pay the over 35 quid for, that the series of 6 costs on Kindle.

A Quest of Heroes (Book #1 in the Sorcerer's Ring)
A Quest of Heroes (Book #1 in the Sorcerer's Ring)

2.0 out of 5 stars Reviewers dilemma, 27 Jan. 2013
I am finding it ever more difficuly to buy or download a book from Amazon by relying on reviews. Despite good reviews, the last 3 or 4 fantasy books I have obtained have been less than enjoyable to me; but then I am getting on in years and want a bit of quality commensurate with my age and reading experience.

There is nothing wrong with the last 3 or 4 books; in fact I am impressed by the quality of the plotting and imagination and if I was in my very early teens, or younger, would have enjoyed them.

This age group situation makes things a little difficult, not to say expensive when it comes to buying books from authors of whom I have no knowledge.
This is where it becomes important that reviews take age-group into account.

The blurb for this present book mentions it in the same breath with established, well-known and mature authors. Let me assure you, there is no comparison whatsoever, except possibly in the plot lines.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2013 9:55 PM GMT