Profile for darkhunter > Reviews

darkhunter (UK)

Deadly Offerings: Book One of the Deadly Series
Deadly Offerings: Book One of the Deadly Series

1.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating, 9 Dec. 2013
This books was frustrating, and I shall tell you why I feel this way. The writing style was good, the story was not bad for this type of romantic thriller, so it should have been a good and enjoyable read. However the female lead, Anne, was without a doubt the most annoying, unlikeable character I have read in a long time. I find quite often the female lead can ruin a book to some extent but this was the worst example I have come across. She doesn't want anything to do with the male lead for half the book, is rude and ungrateful without a real reason and then all if a sudden throws herself at him. The next minute she's rejecting him again. All this because he was her ex husbands attorney in their divorce case. The male lead, Michael, is seeming oblivious to her bad behaviour! I have got to 70% and just can't be bothered to read any more. A shame because otherwise it's not a bad book.

Dragon Bound (Elder Races Novels)
Dragon Bound (Elder Races Novels)
by Thea Harrison

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 16 Nov. 2011
If you like paranormal romance, your going to love this. If your fans of Nalini Singh and J R Ward, both of which, in my humble opinion, write some of the best alpha males in paranormal romance at the moment, your going to love it even more.
I won't go into detail on the plot, as you can read that on the other reviews. Thea Harrison writes a rip-roaring tale of passion, love and adventure, and I can't wait for the next book to come out. She doesn't fall into the trap alot of romance authors do, and thats have our romantic leads hating each other for what ever reason, all the way to the end, then we are expected to believe they just changed their minds and realised they were in love.
These romances move along at a believeable pace and build tension. I also loved the action in this book, it rattles along and keeps you hooked and breathless. If you try a new paranormal romance author this year, make it Thea Harrison.

The More I See You
The More I See You
by Lynn Kurland

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites, 26 Oct. 2011
I love Lynn Kurland, her books are always so warm and full of romance, which makes a nice change sometimes, even though I love the hotter romance authors out there.
This is with out a doubt my favourite book written my her. Our heroine is feisty without being annoying, which ia a rariety these days, and as for Richard, he is one of my top five all time favourite romantic heros. I swoon almost every time I read this book, and I think I must be on about 15 times by now. The story is far fetched, yes, but I am a firm believer in leaving common sense at the door with this kind of romance. If you want real life, then this is not for you, if you want romance at its finest, then you will love this. The story rambles a long at a good pace, with plenty going on, and the ending is perfect, enjoy!

Lover Unleashed: Number 9 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
Lover Unleashed: Number 9 in series (Black Dagger Brotherhood)
by J. R. Ward

4.0 out of 5 stars Much better!!, 5 May 2011
I enjoyed this one! After a very disappointed Lover Enshrined and Lover Avenged, we got Lover Mine, which was fantastic. I had high hopes for Lover Unleashed, and I wasn't disappointed.
It wasn't quite as good as the early books, or Lover Mine but I liked it. Payne and Manny were good characters, and although the book was swapping between about four different stories, it seemed to work better in this book. I liked Payne as a character, she didn't whine a lot, which a lot of female characters these days tend too, and Manny was brilliant. I especially liked the way he squared up to V!! The romance I found realistic, and moved forwards nicely. It was also great to see V and Doc jane again.
What I really like with J R Wards books, is that we tend to get snipets of life after each couples HEA and its not always smooth running, which is realistic and gritty.
But please, please can we get Quinn and Blay's story in a full length book!!!!

Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin)
Dragon Actually (Dragon Kin)
by G.A. Aiken

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 26 Nov. 2008
I bought this book out of desparation of nothing else to read until the end of November. Expecting not to like it much I was pleasantly surprised when I did. The interplay between the two main characters was good, and so funny in places I actually chuckled to myself a couple of times. The female lead was good, I liked her, which is usually my pet hate with books. So much goes into the male characters, and the female characters are always the same, not so here! I liked that Annwyn had a personality all of her own, that she wasn't perfect, but she seemed more unique than most heroines to me. So all in all a really good read, and I shall definitely be getting the next one, out in Jan 09 :-) The sex in the book was also spicy without being over done, so well done G A Aiken.

Son of the Morning (Pocket Books Romance)
Son of the Morning (Pocket Books Romance)
by Linda Howard

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 21 Mar. 2007
I was really looking forward to reading this but was disappointed. Usually I cannot priase Linda Howard enough, Mr Perfect and Dream Man for example were above excellent. However this one was not. I found emotions were conflicted with Grace, and I dislike the feeling of swapping her love over so quickly from one man to another. Although handled very well I personally found it distracting and unbelieveable. Secondly Grace doesn't even see the Hero of the novel Black Niall until the last third of the book. When they do meet he discards her without a backward glance, then the next thing you know he feels completely the opposite. Again, I found it shallow and at the end felt like I had been cheated a little. On the up side I did like both the characters of Grace and Niall. He was typically Alpha male and I loved him! Try it if you love Linda Howard, some of the other reviewers enjoyed it.

Mr Perfect
Mr Perfect
by Linda Howard

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 22 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Mr Perfect (Hardcover)
I have only just started to read Linda Howard, as I was running out of good books, and I am really glad I did. So far I have read about five and counting, and I have to say that Mr Perfect was brilliant. The hero was gorgeous, rough, ready and completely male, which lets be fair, is how we like em! I loved Janie, and agree without other reviews of Linda Howards books, that she generally writes an independant and fiesty heroine. The inter play between the two was funny and touching, and by the time they ended up in bed I was using another book to fan myself with!

The action was good, and all the characters meshed really well. It rambled along at a good pace, and I for one will be putting it on my keepers shelf. Also good by this author are Shades of Twilight (it actually made me cry, which was impressive) and Dream Man.

I can't recommend this highly enough!

Megan's Mark (Berkley Sensation)
Megan's Mark (Berkley Sensation)
by Leigh

4.0 out of 5 stars Phew!, 12 Feb. 2007
I love Lora Leigh! However I do need to be in the mood for her particular brand of writing. Her sex scenes are hot and passionate, and her men are Alpha all the way. However you don't get a lot of gentleness from her leading men. I have found as time goes on her books get better and better though. Her first books for Ellora's Cave about the wolf breeds were a lot harsher, so I think she is moving towards sofening parts in her own way. That said it doesn't matter, when you want hot sex scenes you have to pick up her books. I would suggest those people looking for a romantic story leave these well alone, but for those of you who like Angela Knight or Jaid Black, this lady is for you!!

Conspiracy Game (Ghostwalkers)
Conspiracy Game (Ghostwalkers)
by Christine Feehan

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantasic, 12 Feb. 2007
I think Christine Feehan just gets better and better with the Ghosthunter series.

Jack Norton is a tortured soul, but mean as hell, and they don't come much tougher! So you just know he is ging to fall hard! The action rattles along, and the two leads have chemistry, (but then we know that Mrs Feehan always delivers on that front) but I like that yet again Mrs Feehan makes her men vunerable, without making them weak. In this book, like most of her series, the hero is honest about how he feels.

We are introduced to his twin brother, and the scene is set for the next book. I can't wait. I read this one in one sitting, and I defy anyone to be able to put this down until it is done. Take my advice and set aside some "me time" for this!