Profile for Boris Bergman > Reviews

Blue Eyelids (Parpados Azules) [DVD] [2007]
Blue Eyelids (Parpados Azules) [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Cecilia Suarez

4.0 out of 5 stars A Promising Debut, 11 Oct. 2009
Blue Eyelids (Párpados Azules) is the charming debut from Mexican director Ernesto Contreras. It begins with an elderly woman called Lulita telling us about the last time she had a chance for happiness, offered to her by a magical bird. Lulita also owns the clothing company where Marina (Cecilia Suárez) works, who wins the workplace lottery for a dream holiday for two to Playa Salamandra. The problem is Marina lives on her own and has few friends to ask to join her on the trip. A chance encounter with Victor (Enrique Arreola) in a bakery, who recognises Marina from school, changes the situation.

Thus begins an 'anti-romantic comedy' (as described by Contreras), where, in the absence of passionate conversation and laughter, awkwardness and small details are elevated to dramatic heights. Both Marina and Victor have been loners for a long time, and live quiet lives where seemingly little happens. This is where Contreras portrays them without judgement, letting them live out their private moments in front of the camera.

The joy for me in this film is in the silences and the unspoken moments - for me it is romantic, but certainly not in any cliched way. The motif of a Ray Davies song ('This Strange Effect', sung by Dave Berry), 'You've got this strange effect on me/ And I like it/ You make my world seem right/ You make my darkness bright', says everything that Marina and Victor are not saying (but you can imagine them feeling or thinking). Even the picnic they go on, by a busy road near an airport is made vivid by the details observed - Marina picks at the tablecloth, a couple have an (unheard) argument, a group of boys play football in the background.

This is not going to be everybody's idea of a good time, but for those of you who like Kaurismaki and Jarmusch (though this is different to their styles), you might well enjoy this lovely film. Suárez and Arreola are just great as the likely (yet unlikely) couple. The photography is also very good. Having seen it twice, I would say that at heart it is about seizing opportunities for happiness, which sometimes come few and far between. If you get the chance to see this film, do take it.

Plus - very good extras on the disc - an interview with the director, a short film of the making of, a deleted scene, stills and trailer.

The Hard Word [DVD] [2003]
The Hard Word [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Guy Pearce
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Spread the Word!, 13 Jun. 2007
This review is from: The Hard Word [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I watched this Australian heist movie last night and was thoroughly entertained. Guy Pearce is as good as you can expect as Dale, the leader of a trio of bank robbers called the 'Twentymen'.

His partners are Mal, the prison butcher and Shane, who suffers from fits of rage. Rachel Griffiths plays Dale's wife Carol, who has been unfaithful to him whilst he's been imprisoned.

What makes this film enjoyable are good characters and performances, great photography, a script that doesn't suffer from overbearing seriousness and a pace that moves. It's not really 'Reservoir Dogs Down Under' as the blurb on the sleeve says, but I do think this film deserves a bit more of an audience.

For the pittance of £2!! (current Amazon price), do yourself a favour and give this film a go. It's got more going for it than a lot of Hollywood shlock.

The Order - Cremaster 3 [DVD]
The Order - Cremaster 3 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Serra
Offered by TwoRedSevens

1.0 out of 5 stars A Pointless Release??, 4 Jun. 2007
I never thought I would be one of those people slating something on Amazon, but here goes! I have titled this review as a pointless release, pointless for me in that it is only a thirty minute extract from the end of the third part of the Cremaster Cycle.

I have had a quick surf to find out Barney's reasons for releasing this extract, but have not yet found the answer. I unfortunately missed screenings of the entire Cycle (twice!) and would still love to watch it in its entirety. All I have to say about The Order is...

Disappointing! I don't mind the strangeness, but it seems only for its own sake. You can read/ project a few things into the film, but in all honesty, having expected something really amazing, I thought it was dull and pretentious. For me, it was a long way from great art.

I reserve my whole judgement until I see The Order in its context. Until the whole of Cremaster is released, avoid this dvd! I think Barney is very cleverly getting people eager to see his Cycle by refusing us the luxury of a complete DVD release. However, unless you are desperate to see some of it, don't buy this. Matthew Barney, stop messing around and let honest people see the lot!!

To conclude; This dvd gets one star because a) It's an extract and b) It's bad.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 24, 2013 3:12 PM GMT

The Night We Called It A Day [DVD]
The Night We Called It A Day [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dennis Hopper
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected!, 10 May 2007
I bought this film because the idea of Dennis Hopper playing Frank Sinatra was beyond imagination. Little did I know that what was instore was an Australian comedy! I love Australian films, and this one's another blend of quirky from Down Under.

The plot is simple. Young promoter Rod Blue books Sinatra to play Oz. Sinatra comes and manages to offend the majority of Australians. There's a love interest for Rod when Audrey comes to work for him. I'll say no more about the plot, apart from that it's all very enjoyable, good-natured fun.

Joel Edgerton who plays Rod makes him so likeable it's a pleasure to watch. Melanie Griffith and David Hemmings also star and the result is a feel-good comedy that doesn't take itself too seriously. Dennis Hopper is Frankly Dennis Hopper, swearing and eating tinned food. Ol' Blue Velvet eyes is back, and if you fancy a better than average film, this'll do. Worth watching alone for a Godfather-related gag! 3 and a half out of 5
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 23, 2010 3:31 AM GMT