Profile for Tech-junkie > Reviews

Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor Set for iPhone 4S/5 - Black
Polar H7 Bluetooth 4.0 Heart Rate Sensor Set for iPhone 4S/5 - Black
Price: 44.15

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well so far, 2 May 2014
I'm running with an H7 connected to my Nexus 5. So far I've tried it with Polar's own app which does the essentials quite well (my experience is better than the negative reviews you'll see for the Polar Beat app).
This is about the H7 though and not the app, so:
it's comfortable enough to wear, it does its job of transmitting my heart beats over Bluetooth Smart... And I that's all I can say really. It does its job and works my combination of phone and app, I'd wager that most negative comments are down to flakey phones and apps rather than the H7 itself.

TP-Link TL-PA211 200Mbps AV Powerline Adapter
TP-Link TL-PA211 200Mbps AV Powerline Adapter
Offered by PCIDEALS DIRECT
Price: 13.21

3.0 out of 5 stars Great performance, questionable long-term, 23 Feb 2014
I bought three of the TL-PA211 in Aug 2012.

First up, the networking speeds I got were fine, even for streaming video. I have no problem with the product other than its durability.

The first one died after about 12 months, but I put this down to moving it to a location with poor ventilation and it overheating. As I'd run an ethernet cable to my office (by far the most reliable networking option) I only needed two so wrote off the broken one.
I've now had another one die, so that one lasted 18m, and it was well ventilated. The dead adapter humms quietly when plugged in, so power is getting to some of the circuit, but it's unresponsive and none of the lights come on. I'm guessing something has burnt out in the AC-DC transform.

I can see that TP-LINK now have some "nano" versions of this product for around 14 a pair. Given the cost to replace the failed units I won't complain to much, but I would expect them to last more than 18 months.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Is that the best photo they have?, 12 Jan 2014
The San Francisco Garter is considered to be one of the most stunningly coloured American snakes. This photo is one of the dullest I've seen... Maybe I could sell this seller a photo of my San Francisco Garter?

Bosch BGS5PETGB Power Animal Bagless Vacuum Cleaner, 3 Litre, 2000 Watt, Red
Bosch BGS5PETGB Power Animal Bagless Vacuum Cleaner, 3 Litre, 2000 Watt, Red
Price: 182.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good replacement for a Dyson DC08 Animal, 13 Nov 2013
The wife hasn't been happy with the Dyson for the last eight years, but I've been too tight to buy her a new vacuum (the Dyson was horribly expensive, around the same price as this Bosch).

She had hoovered a few days before the Bosch arrived, and after a run over the carpets with the Bosch they actually looked clean and getting down close to the floor I couldn't see any cat hairs at all. That's something the Dyson has never managed to achieve. The Dyson also failed to pick up things like threads of cotton on the carpet unless you moved it really slowly over that spot a few times. I used the Bosch a few days ago and managed to suck one of the caps off a radiator valve when I was cleaning around the radiator.

There's some negative comments about the weight of this machine. If you're particularly weak or have mobility issues it might be too heavy for you... but then again any vacuum cleaner is likely to be a struggle for these people unless you look at the ones designed to be small and light. The wife isn't particularly strong, but still managed to carry it up and down the stairs and hoover the stairs without any trouble.

A few little niggles -
- The clip that attaches the tools to the tube is next to useless, it just falls off as soon as it gets knocked.
- As many others have said, this Bosch range is marketed as being quiet, it is on the low settings but not on a level that will get the floors spotless. Saying that, if the wife dropped a bag of flour in the kitchen while the baby is asleep upstairs I'm confident she could clear it up without waking him.
- The cable rewind takes a bit of getting used to, but it does rewind the cable fully if the cable is free to run into the hole. I'd probably have preferred a manual rewind rather than the "pull and release" type of mechanism (like a roller blind) but the mechanism works fine for me.

DSTE DMW-BLG10 Li-ion Battery For Panasonic DMC-GF6 Camera
DSTE DMW-BLG10 Li-ion Battery For Panasonic DMC-GF6 Camera

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value compared to original Panasonic battery, 13 Nov 2013
I've got one of these a spare for my Panasonic GF6. I've only been through one charge cycle but performance isn't dissimilar to the battery that came with the camera.
The battery level also displays correctly on the camera (always a concern that 3rd party batteries aren't 100% compatible when manufacturers try to force owners to buy their own over priced batteries).

Disney Mickey Mouse LED Torch
Disney Mickey Mouse LED Torch
Offered by Express Goods UK
Price: 2.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke within minutes, 13 Nov 2013
My wife bought one of these for our son... he's not going to be getting it in his Christmas stocking, I'll be buying him a mini Maglite instead.

My wife managed to break the plastic case when she took it off to fit the batteries, then putting the batteries in the spring for the negative end of the batteries popped out of place. I managed to get it working but the spring will spring out each time the batteries need replacing.

Considering my wife bought this for our son because he likes running around using one of my mini Maglites as a lightsabre (for a 15 month-old he's well versed in the ways of the Force) this piece of cheap plastic will be broken in minutes if he plays with it.

If this is actually officially licensed Disney merchandise I'll eat my hat. Don't buy it, do yourself (or your kids) a favour and get one of these:
Maglite M3A012 Mini Torch Gift
A Maglite will take the punishment a kid dishes out, and still be working when they are older.

Sentimental Message Bangle inscribed: So....There's this boy who stole my heart and changed my name to MUMMY
Offered by Lovethelinks
Price: 14.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice soppy sentimentality for the wife, 23 Oct 2013
The wife wanted it because it had a soppy sentimental message. It fits her wrist but isn't easy to get on and off, and her hands are not big.
Also expect your wrist to pick up a greenish tinge if you wear it full time (but for the price you can't complain that it's base metal).

Steiff 664434 Classic British Collectors Bear 2013 Limited Edition
Steiff 664434 Classic British Collectors Bear 2013 Limited Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice limited edition Steiff, 23 Oct 2013
It's a nice bear, and a growler so that adds some appeal. I don't think it's as nice as last year's UK collectors bear, but that doesn't mean it's not still a lovely bear.

ProRep Vivarium Lock Same Key, 100 mm
ProRep Vivarium Lock Same Key, 100 mm
Price: 5.61

5.0 out of 5 stars It does it's job and locks my viv, 23 Oct 2013
Not much to say, it does the same job as every other vivarium lock and works in the same way as any lock for sliding glass doors.

Something that may be useful for other purchasers is a measurement of the thickness of the locking piece (and hence the minimum gap between the two glass doors. The gap between my doors is 3.5mm, and it isn't tight so I'd guess you'd be OK down to 3mm.

The Private Life of Adders
The Private Life of Adders
by Rodger McPhail
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent view into the lives of adders, 22 July 2013
As a snake keeper (of American garter snakes, not adders) I have an interest in our native reptiles. I bought "The private life of Adders" to add to my growing herpetological library.

It's not a heavy scientific read, but it is an excellent accumulation of the knowledge and observations of someone who has observed adders for several decades. There are so many great photos, some of them of behaviour that you would be extremely lucky to see first hand in the wild. It's a great casual read which looks enjoy flicking through again.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4