Profile for john@jduncan10.freeserve.co.uk > Reviews

Doctor Who: EarthWorld
by Jacqueline Rayner
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

4.0 out of 5 stars A welcome break........., 19 Mar. 2001
This is Jacqueline Rayner's first attempt at a Dr Who novel and I have to say, despite some of the previous reviews, I enjoyed it. Sure, in comparison with the majority of the eighth Doctor novels it's a bit light.....or you could interpret that as meaning it doesn't wallow in self-importance like a good few in the range. So what if not all of the humour completely hits the mark?
I wouldn't like to see every novel in the range written in this fashion, but then we wouldn't want "Interference" every month either, would we? As far as Doctor Who is concerned, variety is the spice of life and 'Earthworld' for me makes a good refreshing break after the six 'stuck on Earth' books. I'm quite sure we'll get back to the heavy stuff soon enough. However, it seems some people just like to trot out the same cliched critiscisms 'one dimensional characterisations' etc etc. When was the last time a character had as much attention lavished on them as Anji?
Good work Jacq.