Profile for G M Holland > Reviews

Elizabeth is Missing
Elizabeth is Missing
Price: 5.03

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 2 July 2014
Ultimately I found this a little disappointing. I felt the premise was good. I admired the understanding of dementia by a relatively young author. I appreciate that dementia is frustrating, but I found myself wanting to shout - why all those little bits of paper? why not a book and a daily whiteboard? The interweaving of past and present is interesting. Having read and admired Still Alice by Lisa Genova, I found Elizabeth is Missing a far less compelling read, but I suspect it could make for a good film.

The Lemon Grove
The Lemon Grove
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a read, 2 July 2014
This review is from: The Lemon Grove (Kindle Edition)
This is written in a pleasing spare style. I found it engaging.

Instructions for a Heatwave
Instructions for a Heatwave
Price: 5.49

2.0 out of 5 stars I Just didn't get it, the heatwave seemed irrelevant and the family tedious, 1 Nov 2013
Having loved After You'd Gone and really enjoying subsequent novels from Maggie O'Farrell, I was looking forward to this read and was happy to recommend it to the book group as a likely entertaining experience.
I found it impossible to warm to. The heatwave backdrop of the title appeared to add nothing to the plot. The family was tiresome and I felt the whole thing was contrived and slow. I felt I completed reading the book just to get to the end to see if anything interesting actually happened. The characters' names kept leaping out and annoying me before I actually got to them, almost as if I was dreading what they might do or say next. The story of the missing father was unsatisfying and I simply couldn't understand how the reading problem could be missed by everyone who had come into Aiofe's life. I felt little empathy for anyone except Aiofe and overall, for me, the whole story just did not add up to anything. It was a bit like looking forward to a dinner out with good old friends and finding the company boring and the food indifferent. I was hoping for lyrical prose and stunning metaphors, but when such expressions arose they felt clumsy and inappropriate; perhaps it was all there but impossible to focus on due to my growing disinterest as I progressed through the book. Sorry to report that this novel just did not work for me.