Profile for Bill Ab. > Reviews

Content by Bill Ab.

Bill Ab. (Ballyclare, N. Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
BoxWave EverTouch Capacitive Stylus - (Newest Technology) Touchscreen iPad 3 Stylus with Ultra Durable FiberMesh Fabric Tip for Apple iPad 3, iPad 2, iPhone 4S / 4, Amazon Kindle Fire, All Touch Screen Tablets (Jet Black)
Offered by BoxWave Corporation
Price: 7.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Who needs fingers?, 11 Jan 2011
After finding the need to clean my i-pad screen so frequently a bit of a nuisance, and having read reviews about this product, I decided to order one. It is probably the best accessory I have purchased for my i-pad. It does exactly what it says on the tin and has made my use of the i-pad an even more pleasurable experience. No more fingermarks or greasy deposits left on the screen. The touch on the tip is soft and finger-like and it is extremely responsive. I have found it better for some gaming and typing than my fingers ever could be. In fact I now find myself hardly ever using my fingers. I have no hesitation in thoroughly recommending this product. Get one, you will not be disappointed.

UPDATE - One year on after using this item and I have had to buy a replacement, as the head seems to have gone very soft, creating difficulties when scrolling or turning pages. Would still thoroughly recommend, but be aware that depending on usage it may need replaced sooner than you might expect.

OtterBox iPad Defender Case
OtterBox iPad Defender Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Perfect, 11 Jan 2011
Having got an i-pad for Christmas I was keen to protect it with the best possible casing. After reading a number of reviews about the OtterBox it appeared to be my best option. I was not disappointed. This casing is excellent and if it does not protect your i-pad, then forget about looking for anything else. Perfect fit, snug and secure. I would thoroughly recommend this product. Believe me, all the reviews posted on Amazon are indeed accurate. It might not be the nicest looking, but who cares if it does the job better than most others. Just one very small niggle - 1. Instructions with it are too basic (diagrams only). I had to view a video on the internet to enable assembly. Had an original issue with the large panel on the back which needs to be removed for charging the ipad. However, have just recently realised the reason for the back panel . . . . forward thinking or what . . . . its made so that the ipad will accept the Apple dock station without needing to remove the protective casing completely. Just go on to the Apple site and see the reviews for their docking station. They are not good, the reason being that the ipad needs to be removed from all the other protective casings to enable using the docking station. Otter are way ahead of the game. The price has been reduced since I purchased this item. Get it, you will not regret this purchase.

Lifemax Automatic Led Night Light 678.1t
Lifemax Automatic Led Night Light 678.1t
Offered by Glebe Healthcare & Mobility
Price: 13.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely warm glow, 27 Aug 2010
Just like other reviewers have reported these little lights are excellent. I find it very difficult to sleep in a room that is completely dark, and wake up disorientated in such circumstances. These lights give enough of a glow that they would not disturb your sleep, but if you need to get up in the middle of the night you are not walking into furniture. I keep one in the kitchen under cupboards, and it gives off enough glow to let me safely walk around a 12' x 16' area . If I need something from the kitchen it saves switching main lights on and off. Most others lights I have seen give off either a white or blue light which is brighter. These give a nice orange glow. They would be ideal for children's rooms or under the stairs in a hallway, or in a position where elderly care is a priority. I will be packing one with me the next time I go on holiday. These lights are really good value for money from Amazon, and being LED's they use very little power. I would thoroughly recommend them to anybody who needs unobtrusive safety lighting, or bedroom lighting for children.

Nikon EN-EL3e Rechargeable Battery
Nikon EN-EL3e Rechargeable Battery
Offered by AtlasDeal
Price: 34.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Value for genuine Nikon product, 11 May 2010
I couldn't believe it when I saw this battery advertised by Amazon at such a good price. Must admit I was a bit sceptical as to whether or not is was the genuine article. I had previously bought an independent make battery from another source for my D700 and it was twice this price. However upon close examination this does appear to be a genuine Nikon product. If you need a spare battery for your Nikon camera, then don't hesitate. This is fantastic value for money for a Nikon battery. I have made a few Nikon user friends aware of this offer. Even if you don't need a spare you should still be tempted to buy one at this price. You simply can't go wrong.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac)
Mac OS X Snow Leopard (Mac)
Offered by Consultant
Price: 21.27

3.0 out of 5 stars Snow Leopard - Beware - S L O W Start and problems, 3 Sep 2009
I bought my Snow Leopard direct from my Apple store on the day of launch. My i-Mac was exactly one year old. I had no problems installing, however after launch problems started immediately. When I tried to back-up using my Time Machine, it was painfully slow. Also my i-Web application almost ground to a halt and refused to publish my web-site. I made appointment with a Genius at my local Apple store who informed me that the original installed version of i-Life was not compatible with Snow Leopard (why did't Apple warn us about this)?. So I purchased i-Life 09, went home, installed it and . . . . . very little difference. Although it eventually published my web-site, I had to perform the task one page at a time, and what had taken about 15 minutes the with the old i-Life, now took THREE and A HALF HOURS!! Took my i-Mac back to Apple store where a Genius agreed there was a problem. The application would not even connect to the server in the store. After removing the i-Web preference list to Trash and performing a Disk Utility verify and repair, both i-Web and Time Machine are now working fine and generally things have speeded up in most applications. However, have now found out, after downloading the latest version of Nikon View NX, that it is not compatible with Snow Leopard. I am now frightened what effect Snow Leopard is going to have on my other third party applications. If you are having problems, don't think you are alone, just visit the Apple Discussion site and you will find that even so soon after launch many users are registering comments about problems with Snow Leopard. I, like many others, am hoping that Apple address these issues in the coming months with bug fixes or further updates. So . . . . if you are thinking of buying this product be prepared because you probably will have problems. It has been hailed as the all singing, all dancing speedy upgrade. In reality, at the moment it is more, slow, slow, quick, quick, slow, with a few trips in between. I would love to give it a 5 star rating, but at the moment I simply don't trust it to perform. If you can do without the upgrade immediately, then wait until these issues are resolved.

Price: 17.34

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must for Landscape Photos, 11 July 2009
Cokin P121S Grad Grey G2 SFT(ND8)Square Filter
Digital photography is a wonderful innovation, however the digital medium can be very unforgiving when there is a mixture of very light and dark in the same image. This is most apparent in landscape photography. How many times have you perfectly exposed the foreground only to find that the sky is completely burnt out? Or you have correctly exposed for the sky and the foreground is almost black. Although this can be rectified to a degree in Photoshop, it can be very time consuming. There is always the HDR method, but this involves multiple exposures and more time in Photoshop. The easy alternative is the Cokin Grad Grey. Simply slide it into the filter holder, level it with the bright part of your image and you will have a better overall exposed image with more definition and colour in the sky. It IS SIMPLE and IT WORKS, and should be on the shopping list for any photographer interested in Landscape images. The only slight problem you might experience is some vignetting, caused by the filter holder. I use the slimmer version holder available from Cokin, and still get some vignetting. This will depend upon the lens you use. I use a Nikon 24-70mm on the Nikon D700, and only experience vignetting at the 24mm setting.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 18, 2012 10:05 PM GMT

Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer
Epson Stylus Photo R2880 A3 Photo Printer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great printer, pity about customer service, 25 Mar 2009
I purchased my R2880 printer in September 2008 and should have known better than to purchase another Epson printer. Everybody should take note that after you have had the printer for more than 30 days, if a fault develops, they will only replace it with a reconditioned substitute. I purchased an Epson A4 printer 2 years ago and didn't remove it from the box until 6 weeks after purchase. It was faulty from day one. An Epson engineer attended and wanted to replace my new printer with a substitute which looked as though it had been kicked up and down the street. After a long and frustrating battle and with the help of a Digital Camera magazine it was eventually replaced with a new one. My new R2880 developed a fault after just two weeks. It kept insisting on constantly recharging the ink cartridges until they were drained. This corrected itself after a couple of days, until in March 2009 the same problem arose, only much worse. I contacted Epson who agreed the printer was faulty. They arranged for an engineer to attend on a set date. My wife and I spent the full day at home and nobody appeared. I contacted Epson by e-mail and didn't even get any explanation or apology. They simply replied that due to a shortage of parts they would not replace my printer until one week later. They further said that it would be replaced with a quality assured reconditioned one. I have wasted 4 new cartridges (about 45 worth of ink), with no prints to show for it, because of a faulty product. Epson offer no compensation for this.

So what about the printer itself? If you want the best possible quality prints with true blacks and great colour then look no further than this printer. The down side as outlined by previous reviews is that if you want to use the matt black you need to change cartridges, and then all cartridges will be recharged, wasting very expensive ink. The lack of a printed manual is also irritating.

The bottom line is that if there is another printer out there which you think might be better than the R2880 then go for it. If I had a better choice I wouldn't touch any Epson printer with a barge-pole. I have been an Epson fan for many years but be warned, take the risk if you wish, but expect to be treated with contempt by customer services. How do they get away with their '30 day dead on arrival' policy which seems to fly in the face of the Sale of Goods Order? If I were to rate the product guarantee and customer services they wouldn't even get one star. Keep your fingers, legs and anything else crossed if you purchase any of their products!!

Mamma Mia! Gift Set [DVD]
Mamma Mia! Gift Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Meryl Streep
Offered by Champion Toys
Price: 21.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Mama Fantastic, 17 Feb 2009
This review is from: Mamma Mia! Gift Set [DVD] (DVD)
From the outset I must say that I am not a big fan of Abba. This DvD was purchased as a Christmas gift for my wife and it was with some reluctance that I sat and watched it with her. To my surprise (and I won't admit this to my wife) I thoroughly enjoyed it. I dislike 'musical' films generally but enjoyed this so much that I would have no hesitation watching it again. I found myself singing along and had a desire to get up and dance. This was a happy, funny film with a feel good factor and happy ending. The sing-a-long facility is a great idea for people like me who can never remember the words of a song. However, if I had to purchase this item again I would only purchase the DvD and not the gift set. Even my wife who is a big fan has found little use for the pen and journal, both of which I feel do not justify the extra cost.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3