Profile for R. D. Pearson > Reviews

Content by R. D. Pearson

R. D. Pearson "Rich 100" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
LAMPAOUS® Pack of 4 15W B22 BC LED Bulb Lights A70 GLS Bayonet Globe Lamp, Warm white Color 3000K , 1500 Lumens Super Bright Lights 120W Incandescent Bulbs Equivalent, Eco Friendly, High Efficient Saving 85% Energy.
Offered by Lampaous

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product at an acceptable price, 9 Jun. 2016
As you may know the problem with compact fluorescent or LED is often that the overall light output is not that good. Therefore you save money on electricity but are left with a dingy house. There are some good 9 and 10w LED bulbs that are broadly the equivalent of 60watt traditional incandescent bulbs. Typically you get a choice of a very white light or a warmer light. I have found that the warmer one is best for general household use but the white is good for rooms like garages or maybe studies where you want to see clearly or see colour accurately. Some LED bulbs have a limited beam angle and so they tend to be directional. Depending on the use this can be an issue. For example in a room pendant scenario I have some that give out good light but do not spill light up to the ceiling like standard bulbs did. This can be annoying and can spoil the overall lighting in a room as the ceiling looks very dark whilst the floor is brightly lit. These bulbs work fine in a spot light type scenario though. Until recently any more powerful LED bulbs that give the equivalent of around 100watt have tended to be very expensive at about £10 each or more. So these bulbs are the first affordable higher output LEDs I have seen in a more or less standard form, albeit larger, see below.

They give good light output - maybe around the equivalent of 100watt. The light colour is warm, so more cream colour than white, ideal in domestic settings. Very similar to traditional lamps. The beam is wide so they distribute the light in a similar way to traditional bulbs. Despite having the same shape they are however bigger than traditional bulbs or other lower output LED bulbs. They measure about 73mm in diameter and 121mm long so watch out for this as they may not suit your fitting. They have a quality feel. Overall I am very pleased as they seem to give instant high output, high quality light and still only use a modest amount of electricity. Progress.

CREE E17 Xm-l T6 2000 Lumens Torch Zoomable CREE LED Flashlight Torch light For 3xAAA or 1x18650
Offered by UVIA-Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars A pocket spotlight, 22 May 2016
Zoom goes from a small focussed beam (square when finely focussed) to a very large pool of circular light best described as the whole of a medium sized room ceiling if seated in a typical room. When sharply focussed, at 30metres or 90 feet the square is around 2m or 6 feet square. At say 2m or 6 feet away it is more like 30cm or 1 foot square. Overall an impressively variable focus. Very white light. Compared to say a pencil led torch it is almost as if the pencil torch is not switched on. I am using it in the aaa mode rather than the large battery you can also get. I have some large battery operated torches, medium and small torches and this is in a league of its own punching well above its weight. It feels high quality so for £5 it is a bit of a no brainer.

SODIAL(R) Non-Contact IR Infrared Digital Temperature Gun Thermometer Laser Point GM320
Offered by SWEETY LIFE

5.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 22 May 2016
I wondered about the low price and accuracy issues. Overall I have been very pleased. It has a laser pointer that you can switch on or off but note the sensor area is effectively conical so the further away you are from the surface the bigger the area sampled. Obviously if the item you want to measure is quite small and you stand too far back then you will pick up multiple items. Accuracy wise it seems very good. I have tried boiling water and room thermoters and a fish tank and the device gives an almost identical reading to what you would expect in every case. I got it for finding cold spots in the house to give me insight into where to add insulation. More than accurate enough for that purpose. Probably to around plus or minus 0.2 degrees in my opinion. I should mention that once deployed it takes a second or two to read but nothing out of the ordinary or bothersome. Overall an excellent purchase.

Palio Expert 2 Table Tennis Bat & Case
Palio Expert 2 Table Tennis Bat & Case
Offered by TT Trading Co

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuinely Quality Bat, 2 May 2016
For those who do not know Palio is regarded as a good bat by experts. I initially bought some lesser makes for my son and my local club, which includes International players suggested I should get one of these instead. They were right.

Zinsser Permawhite Interior Satin - 5 Litre
Zinsser Permawhite Interior Satin - 5 Litre
Offered by Glenwood Paint Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 2 May 2016
Had on-going problems with mould on walls in one of my children's bedrooms. I even wondered if we had rising damp. I found that I could spray the mould with 'mould and mildew' spray which is excellent at removing it but it kept coming back within a month. Since painting with this 3 months ago there has been no re-appearance. The paint covered reasonably well but I needed 2 coats on a light patched plaster base.

Also saw that it could be used as tile paint and it does work well. Needed even more coats as my tiles more like a dark magnolia with brown pattern. Seems a very hard paint that you cannot dig your nail in once it dries which is good. Whilst painting we had problems with non-sticking, like it was a greasy wall even though we had thoroughly cleaned it before painting with de-greaser. Anyway got there in the end after some perseverance. Also used some gloss paint by the shower itself and in my view the gloss looks better on tiles as they look more like a real white tile.

Sharkoon FireGlider Optical Gaming Mouse
Sharkoon FireGlider Optical Gaming Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mouse in My Opinion, 1 Aug. 2015
I have purchased quite a few gaming mice. Some were cheaper and feel less good to use. Some are rather small. Several cheap and expensive ones stopped working after 6 months use. This is the second one of these I have purchased as we have several gaming rigs. Going back and buying a second one is generally the strongest recommendation I can make. The first one is still going strong after several years.

These feel good, have adjustable weight, easily adjustable resolution (speed of movement) and enough buttons to press without getting so many that you press them by accident.

Q Acoustics 2020I Bookshelf Speaker Stereo - (Pair) (Gloss White)
Q Acoustics 2020I Bookshelf Speaker Stereo - (Pair) (Gloss White)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great speakers, 1 Aug. 2015
I love listening to all types of music and have quite a collection of old and new hi fi, some fairly cheap and some more mid range hi fi separates.

These are very good speakers, no doubt. They are crystal clear and I have not heard them distort yet. They do well with all music types from Paganini to ZZ Top. Instrumental music is detailed and accurate and very acoustic. High fidelity is for once an accurate label.

The case is a thing of beauty, solid, shiny and rounded corners. I wonder if the cover should be white to match the case although I could imagine that becoming grubby in time. The speakers can be bi wired (most experts say don't bother) however they are connected via a recess in the bottom rather than at the back. This is a debateable feature as if you want to wall mount them then first you need to buy the manufacturers brackets or maybe use a standard bracket and screw into them; which would be a bit of a crime. Some 'clamp type' brackets would struggle because of the round edges. The other downside with the connections being in the base is you can see them when wall mounted if you look up. The back is plain white though and this could be an advantage depending on your intended positioning. You can use either banana plugs or wire to connect them as you wish.

I have also purchased some Dali Zensor 1 speakers in black. In my opinion the Q Acoustics have a better finish but I think the Dali's have the edge on sonic performance. More dynamic contrast, is how I would describe the difference but both are very good speakers. The Q Acoustics were for my kitchen and given their good looks I would not go back and buy white Dali's even though I marginally prefer their sound.

The Q Acoustics can handle bass and I think for most average people who like to crank it up a little, but not deafen themselves, these are probably bassy and loud enough, quite punchy.

If you want to have proper bass which causes your ears to bleed, your organs to vibrate and the neighbours to complain then these small units simply cannot move the same air as larger more powerful speakers. However if you want excellent high fidelity and are happy with medium volumes and enough tight punchy base to get the idea then I do not think anyone could be disappointed. For their size though they are very surprisingly powerful.

The covers are easily removable but so light and filmy I doubt you can tell the difference off or on.

At the price these are some of the best speakers on the market. Most reviews I have seen tend to place the Q Acoustic's ahead of the Dali's but certainly if you want small, affordable quality, both are a great choice.

OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED H7, halogen-headlamp bulb, 64210NBU-HCB, 12V, duo box (Pack of 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good, 22 April 2015
We had standard manufacturers headlights in our 9 yr old Chrysler Voyager. I had not realised that bulbs dim with time and ours were getting rather feeble although they were never super bright. These bulbs were a big improvement and seem whiter and brighter by about 80% in our case. I did notice that the fittings on our car significantly enclose the bulb and I suspect do not make full use of the light available however that is not due to the bulbs themselves. I had not quite realised that the full beam setting needs another one of these so I would have needed 4 to do the headlight and full beam on both sides. That said the full beam has not been used as much as the headlights so still seems quite bright. I am sure these have made the vehicle safer at night, particularly when on country lanes. When next to other vehicles I notice that our headlights are about as bright as more modern vehicles and this is certainly better than it was.

Tefal BL233865 Blendforce Maxi Glass Blender - Black 600W 2LT
Tefal BL233865 Blendforce Maxi Glass Blender - Black 600W 2LT
Offered by Slamtech Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Blender, 22 April 2015
Having looked extremely closely in the shops, online and on review sites I chose this blender. It is one of the largest glass ones you can get, it has a well powered motor at 600 watts and it appears reliable. Overall I think it is the best combination of quality, performance and price on the market bearing in mind blenders seem to range from £10 to £600.

Some details. The jug is glass but despite being larger than our previous blender it seems to be lighter than that was. Medium weight though. The blender sits on some rubbery feet that cushion it nicely and reduce noise. I saw one review that said this was noisy. I think all blenders are quite noisy. This is no different but I would say it is quieter than our last one so does not seem very noisy to me. It has 6 blades that seem to blend well. It has a pulse setting and 5 speeds although setting 3 is rather similar to 5 in my opinion but having effectively 3 plus pulse seems more than enough. The blades detach from the jug by pressing a red button. There is a lug that engages one side of the jug and the red button releases the lug on the other side allowing the pieces to be separated for cleaning. The other red button you can see in the image allows the whole jug and blades together to be clipped onto the blender for use and by pressing that red button they can be detached. Most blenders blades screw into the jug. I have found that these do not necessarily seal and can cause problems. The seal on this works fine and providing that it lasts I think this lug and release type arrangement might be more definite.

This blender feels quite good quality to me, if you know what I mean, therefore I am happy with the purchase as it looks and performs well for a sensible price. No regrets at all.

Vax U88-AMM-Pe Air 3 Max Pet Upright Vacuum
Vax U88-AMM-Pe Air 3 Max Pet Upright Vacuum

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum but Beware, 9 Mar. 2015
Do not buy this vacuum cleaner if you have medium or long pile carpet. It will get stuck. Read on if not. We have short wool twist shag pile carpet.

Previously we had a 10 yr old Electrolux rated 2000 watts. How do they compare? Well when the old vac had all clean filters it sucked roughly as well as this one but was noisier. The problem was that the filters were hardly ever all clear so in practice the Vax has a stronger suction even after extensive use. The Vax is a very good vacuum with a few design faults worth mentioning:

1) It is not that light, similar to our old vac.
2) The tools can be held on the machine but only just. The upholstery cleaner tends to fall off and the clip holding the extra hose length is not very definite being too lose. Plus if you attach the fine suction tool to the end of the extra hose length, which is the only place left if you use the other spot for the turbo tool, then the fine suction tool flops about.
3) There is no height adjustment on the main brush rota so it simply stops dead on anything other than short carpet. It seems to clamp itself down and becomes practically immovable, hence my opening remark. (We have one or two longer pile rugs)
4) The clips holding the 10m of cable could do with being slightly longer although they are just about long enough if care is taken.
5) Most old vacs have the hose stuffed into an opening and when you want to use this you simply pull it out. If you want to use the hose tools on the Vax you have to disconnect the bottom hose from the body of the machine, attach the hose extension, which would normally be needed and then you are good to go. One or two more stages than normal.

The good points:
1) Tremendously strong suction that does not easily fade. Combined with powerful brushes this seems to suck up lots of stuff ordinarily left in the carpet. So the Vax is really in a different league when it comes to cleaning carpets.
2) Easy to empty. Our first efforts required more emptying than expected because so much stuff was lifted out of the carpet.
3) Turbo tool (that only comes with some models, like the 'Pet') is very useful and allows the wand to be used like a mini vac complete with powerful rotating mini brush. This is better at picking up stuff than a normal plain hose.
4) Normal useful array of other tools, fine head, brush head, upholstery head and plain round pipe.
5) Unless my nose deceives me, the air seems to smell fresher afterwards and I get the impression the filter is very effective. I would go so far as to say it seems to filter the air and make it cleaner.

So other than my opening word of caution and minor design flaws this is an excellent vacuum cleaner.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8