Profile for Liverbird54 > Reviews

Liverbird54 "Jo" (Edinburgh)

Lunch In Paris: A Delicious Love Story, with Recipes
Lunch In Paris: A Delicious Love Story, with Recipes
by Elizabeth Bard

5.0 out of 5 stars A yummy book, & you don't have to be a cook to appreciate it!, 10 Jun 2014
I love this book, all the reviews say it is charming, & so it is! The story of an American journalist who moves to Paris to be with her tap dancing French boyfriend, it is funny, sweet & very entertaining. It introduces us to the ups & downs of living in France, & has lovely, mouth watering recipes. I'm, sadly, not good in the kitchen, but these recipes made me want to rush out, buy fresh ingredients & cook!
(Hasn't happened yet, but I can dream!)
At the end of the book, Elizabeth reveals that they are now living in Provence, so I hope we get a follow up book about life in the South of France too.

New York: 365 Days: From the Photo Archives of the "New York Times"
New York: 365 Days: From the Photo Archives of the "New York Times"
by James Barron

5.0 out of 5 stars A gorgeous bite of the Big Apple!, 26 Mar 2014
I bought this book for my niece's birthday, I hadn't seen it & just went with the excellent reviews on Amazon.
She loved it so much that I had to buy a copy to see it for myself, so I bought a second hand book, also on Amazon, which was in very good condition & I'm so glad I did treat myself!
I adore New York & found this to be such an interesting book, the photo's are wonderful, some recent & some from the 1900's,in both black & white & colour, with interesting & informative comments on each page.
A must for lovers of New York, it's a very thick book, so I've spent many happy hours browsing through it.
Of course, having bought this book, I now have to start saving as it makes me want to revisit the city even more!

Dedicated to...: The Forgotten Friendships, Hidden Stories and Lost Loves found in Second-hand Books
by W B Gooderham

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, but left me wanting more., 4 Feb 2014
I'm a real bookaholic & buy lots of second hand books, so I thought this book would be a fascinating read. I don't quite know what I expected really, but thought there would be more depth to it.
It's such a good concept & I expected to love it, but in fact I found some of the inscriptions boring & not worthy of being in this book at all... Of course, some were very moving & I do wonder, as the author did, as to why these books were ever given away!
I finished the whole book in a couple of hours & was left feeling quite dissatisfied, but as a friend pointed out, I don't like short stories, & I do like to get my teeth into a really long book, so maybe that's why!