Profile for J Thorburn > Reviews

J Thorburn

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Price: 10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Only if you like listening to the sound of your own heartbeat!!, 17 Sep 2013
I bought these headphones based on the positive reviews and while the sound quality is fine, the one aspect which hardly anyone touches on is the sound amplification through the wire every time it moves. Which means if you happen to be walking during a quiet track, then every step you take (and I'm not a sergeant major!)is amplified. Even if you're standing perfectly still, just the movement created by breathing in and out or turning your head will come through these headphones! I'm now on the lookout for headphones which do not 'hijack' the music even if it means paying considerably more than these ones.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 18, 2013 7:19 PM BST

LADIES Cotton LOOSE TOP SOCKS Size 4-6 6-pack BLACK
LADIES Cotton LOOSE TOP SOCKS Size 4-6 6-pack BLACK
Offered by Chameleon Online
Price: 5.09

2.0 out of 5 stars Beware the black foot!!, 6 Dec 2012
Needed black socks with loose tops as was fed up having an unattractive red weal bracelet round my ankle with other socks. I have purchased loose top socks in the past and thought these would be of a similar quality. No. No. No.

Firstly, they're not that loose around the ankle (and, no, I don't have chubby ankles!) which somewhat defeats their main advertising schtick. However, I could have accepted this but for one MAJOR FLAW - no matter how many times I have washed these socks, they still leave the soles of your feet and nails looking as if you're a stranger to the whole personal hygiene thing. Maybe I've just been really unlucky with the ones which I received as no one else has mentioned this in their reviews however I would say shop around, there are definitely better on the market.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 28, 2013 8:31 AM GMT

A Scandalous Scot (Avon Historical Romance)
A Scandalous Scot (Avon Historical Romance)

4.0 out of 5 stars Back to form for Ms Ranney, 9 July 2012
After Karen's last book - a borrowed Scot, which I can't say I enjoyed that much - I was hoping that her latest offering would be a return to form for one of my favourite historical writers and I'm pleased to say, despite a few quibbles here and there, that it is!

The location is Ballindair, country home of Morgan MacCraig, Earl of Denbleigh who has returned to lick his wounds following the scandal of his previous wife whom he has divorced. Within hours of his arrival he bumps into, literally, Jean MacDonald, a maid working in the castle and so the begins the relationship between them. He is bitter from his previous marriage and she is not whom she appears to be. A series of unorthodox meetings occur between them which unsettle her and intrigue him and which put in place the foundation for the rest of the book.

The continuing conversation between the two principal characters is bright and funny (one of Karen Ranney's strong points is that she can write witty dialogue easily) and so it's always enjoyable when Morgan and Jean run into each other, in fact, you're almost treading water until they do. Female characters are always well written, although in this case, I did get slightly exasperated with the continued reference to this dark secret which Jean carried around with her and her trepidation on revealing it to Morgan - was always going to be an anti-climax.

Would a maid and Earl ever have had a relationship at this time? It's doubtful however it didn't really detract from my overall enjoyment of the story and I couldn't stop reading the book until I'd finished it. Welcome back Karen Ranney!

Da Bird Interactive Feather Cat Toy - Easy Store / Pull Apart Rod
Da Bird Interactive Feather Cat Toy - Easy Store / Pull Apart Rod
Offered by Pandacat Ltd
Price: 9.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Da Bird is da winner!!, 23 Jan 2012
This is just to reiterate what other buyers have already said on this product. I bought it because of the great reviews for one of my cats who was recovering from an illness and didn't want to play with ANYTHING. Within 2 minutes of getting it out of the packaging, assembled and whizzing thru the air, she was in stalking territory, tail twitching and flinging herself around the place like a kitten. The only problem is limiting her and the other one to 10 or so minutes at each session - they would have you doing this for hours!! I'm not sure how long it's going to last, but for the price is great fun. P.S. Oh, and hide it afterwards - have come in to find it 'dead' on the rug with proud kitty on quite a few occasions!