Profile for study never stops > Reviews

Content by study never stops

study never stops

All Natural High Strength 5-HTP, FROM ONLY £12.95 LIMITED TIME OFFER for 120 x 100mg Premium Quality UK Manufactured High Strength Capsules from Griffonia seed powder. FREE delivery on all UK orders
Offered by Good 2 Go health&beauty

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly helps if you suffer from low serotonin levels, 20 April 2015
After many years of suffering from depression I learned that I had low serotonin levels. Searching for a natural supplement to help nurture an increase of serotonin I found 5-HTP. I experienced results much quicker than I expected. I have been taking 3 a day for about six months and I have found that my mood is much more stable and I have had no recent crashes into depression again. Of course they are not a cure for depression. But where early trauma meant that my brain learnt to repress serotonin, this natural plant extract helps to raise the level my brain is used to having and therefor hopefully the amount it creates for itself. As part of a recovery for low serotonin I recommend these.

Right Here
Right Here

5.0 out of 5 stars Best New Band Today, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Right Here (Audio CD)
I am very excited about this band, based on the songs on this album. They are full of surprises and I like every one of them. The songs are catchy and simple at first listen. But each hearing reveals more layers and twists and turns, mood shifts and fresh ideas all over the place. This album had me out of my chair, twitching and twisting all over the house and back, pressing repeat. Its the first debut album to get me this excited since Sultans Of Swing, and that was a very long time ago. Its not as polished as SOS and and like that album some of the singing feels occasionally raw, but the whole band are great musicians and the guitarist's technical prowess is only matched by his taste for emotive licks and melodies. I suppose the album is essentially rock pop but clearly these guys will be doing a lot more than just that in the future, you can hear soul, jazz and funk in their blood. Actually this is a lot like discovering The White Stripes over again.

I can't wait for them to come over to the UK. If I can find out who manages them I am going to offer to help. Anything to get them here.

Soursweet [DVD]
Soursweet [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sylvia Chang
Offered by A2Z Entertains

2.0 out of 5 stars Weak adaptation fails to live up to a great book, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Soursweet [DVD] (DVD)
In adapting this wonderful book for the big screen, the filmmakers (its hard to 'blame' anyone in particular as there are various strange choices) missed the wit, the depth, the magic, the heartbreaking poignancy of the novel. The story as presented (unlike the novel) doesn't really add up and the world it is set in can't decide if it is period or contemporary (o when it was made). The credibility is stretched by choices like the remoteness of the business and the unexplained level of customers and the absence of clarity about the Triad world and how it is invading these character's lives.

Some things still shine through, mainly due to the lead actress who is compelling and provides an emotional root that stops you from being too frustrated by the story wobbles. I wish the film worked better but it feels rushed and or careless, inconsistent and confusing. The book had none of that. But it is still worth watching for the lead actress and the fact that it is still the UK's only film that features prominent Chinese characters. It deserves a remake with more attention to detail and a script that honours the book but makes sense in its own right.

Shakespeare for Screenwriters: Timeless Writing Tips from the Master of Drama
Shakespeare for Screenwriters: Timeless Writing Tips from the Master of Drama
by J. M. Evenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, straightforward and insightful, 10 Dec. 2013
The word (name) Shakespeare can be intimidating but this is a straightforward book with solid advice if no really surprises. Definitely worth starting out with this one and skipping the heavier tomes of Robert McKee et al.

Wayland's Song [DVD]
Wayland's Song [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Nardone
Offered by FAB WAREHOUSE

5.0 out of 5 stars Hypnotic arresting riveting, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Wayland's Song [DVD] (DVD)
An amazing achievement when you discover how cheaply and quickly it was made, this film is a riveting and hypnotic thriller, reminiscent of Get Carter, but with a thoughtful rage about the way soldiers are affected by their experiences and their treatment back in divvy street. It didn't get the distribution it deserves and is one of the great low budget achievements of recent cinema. This is the sort of filmmaking that Britain should be supporting and promoting, honest, vital, outspoken, bold. No goblins or wands, just real people, real stories, real self examination. Here we are, this is us, this is how we mess things up. Very brave filmmaking indeed and a return to his best form for filmmaker Richard Jobson.

Rockabilly
Rockabilly

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumping roaring rockabilly riot, 10 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Rockabilly (MP3 Download)
This is the most dynamic album I have heard in the pure rock world for a long time. Horst surpasses the hindrance of his German roots to provide an international sound (more than) equal to any American who is steeped in the rockabilly culture. He is to rockabilly what Abba were to English pop, alien and sublime, master and outsider. I love this album. Its like Iggy Pop teaming up with Brian Setzer, in a way, but its way way better and more modern (and yet timeless) than that. Grungy, driving, spitting, thumping, roaring, with wonderful licks that keep up a long tradition but sound as fresh as Gaga.

Jane Hilton: Dead Eagle Trail: America's Twenty-First Century Cowboys
Jane Hilton: Dead Eagle Trail: America's Twenty-First Century Cowboys
by Jane Hilton

5.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 4 July 2010
I love authentic America so I was expecting this book to go deeper than your normal (if still rare) photographic cliche of tall Texan's on horses, squinting like Clint Eastwood against a backdrop of tumbling tumbleweed. But this book was way more than I hoped it would be and I cannot put it away. Its moved from the kitchen to the toilet (where my legs went numb I was looking at it for so long) to the hallway next to the telephone, and lately, it lives in my bedroom.

The first time you flick through the book you see some impressive photography. Its done on old school large format film so its a book by an artist with patience and / or confidence. The sheer quality of the portraits jumps out as a result. But as you start to look through the book a second, third and fourth time, you start to see details that were not obvious at all. The corner of a smile that puts you in the room, the photo of a loved one (not a human) near the subject that is moving when you realise what it means. The loneliness of a way of life lost in time (but still simultaneously alive and kicking), the nick nacks and objets of a nostalgic old prairie dog who would never read this review because its on a piece of equipment he will never touch.

In several pictures I can smell the hot desert, the horses, the leather, the gun oil, and in a couple I can even smell the cowboy. Young bucks keen to live a life that is both traditional and alternative and old pokes who've known nothing else, they are all here and each has a story to tell. Stare at these amazing portraits for long enough and I swear, you will begin to see them breathe.

I hope the photographer, Jane Hilton (who as far as I know has not published her work previously) brings us more studies of some other very singular American lifestyles soon.