Profile for J STEWART > Reviews

J STEWART (France)

Where There's Smoke
Where There's Smoke

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 July 2015
I love all Picoult's books and this was no exception.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Customer Service, 27 July 2015
I bought this as part of a selection of presents for my brother's 60th birthday. He was delighted with his Cornish Real Ale hamper and thoroughly enjoyed each beer. He said the selection was a perfect mix. He is saving the bottles and their amazing labels.

I received outstanding customer service from Nigel at "Simply Cornish Hampers" and highly recommend the company.

Classic Dog Grooming Mini Nail Clippers 3.5"
Classic Dog Grooming Mini Nail Clippers 3.5"

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for a small dog, 30 Jan. 2014
These tiny claw clippers are just what I needed. My small dog is from a refuge and when he was found, abandoned on the street, his feet were in very poor condition. Four years later he still does not like them being touched - except by me! So, as having his claws clipped by the vet is too stressful for him I asked the vet to teach me to do it. I prefer these scissor-action clippers to the nail-clipper type that the vet uses. Now I can clip Dylan's claws at home - and he is not stressed at all.

Ed Emberley's Drawing Book: Make A World (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book: Make A World (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Creating a world for my animated film, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this as and other books in the same series as I want to animate a children's story that I have written - I can't draw, but I had thought that drawing simple human faces and figures would be easy. I found that it was - however, with ththe "Faces" book I have already created a series of drawing of my main characters and as part of the story is set in a typical town this book is proving to be very useful.

Ed Emberley's Drawing Book Of Animals (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book Of Animals (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Using to animate my writing, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this as and other books in the same series as I want to animate a children's story that I have written - I can't draw, but I had thought that drawing simple human faces and figures would be easy. I found that it was - however, with ththe "Faces" book I have already created a series of drawing of my main characters and as part of the story is set in a zoo, this book is proving to be very useful.

30 Easy Spanish Guitar Solos Gtr Book/Cd
30 Easy Spanish Guitar Solos Gtr Book/Cd
by Various

5.0 out of 5 stars I aspire to play classical and spanish guitar, 18 Jan. 2013
But I am an absolute beginner. This book is a little beyond my talents - but I aspire to progress from my beginner's manual to this one - I chose it for the pieces it provides and because they are not too long !

Ed Emberley's Drawing Book Of Faces (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)
Ed Emberley's Drawing Book Of Faces (Ed Emberley Drawing Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fun!, 18 Jan. 2013
I bought this as I want to animate a children's story that I have written - I can't draw, but I had thought that drawing simple human faces and figures would be easy. I found that it was - however, with this book I have already created a series of drawing of my main characters. I have also bought some other books by the smae author to help me with my animation project.

The Marrying of Anne of Cleves: Royal Protocol in Early Modern England
The Marrying of Anne of Cleves: Royal Protocol in Early Modern England
by Retha M. Warnicke

5.0 out of 5 stars All my questions answered, 16 Dec. 2012
Anne of Cleves has always fascinated me - mainly because she didn't last long as a wife of Henry the VII. He had complained about her looks and her body odour. However, he did accept her into his household as an honorary sister - and what little I did know about her prior to reading this book indicated that he was fond of her and came to respect her.

She was, afterall, far more royal than he was - her list of ancestors were very impressive.

In an age when royalty usually married their spouses "unseen" for political alliances and diplomacy Henry knew 5 of his wives prior to marriage and apart from Katherine of Aragon, only Anne of Cleves held any dipolomatic, dynastic and political importance - she was also the only wife he did not know before marrying her.

I found a couple of novels abut her which were OK but failed to really explain the complexities that I sensed were lurking in Anne's story. This book answers all my queries - and more. Politically, socially, culturally, historically, strategically Anne was a very significant lady.

This book apparently leaves no stone of Anne's life unturned.

Almost French: A New Life in Paris
Almost French: A New Life in Paris
by Sarah Turnbull

1.0 out of 5 stars Nowhere near almost "French", 28 Aug. 2005
"Almost Parisienne" would have been a far more appropriate title. The people and culture that she wrote about have very little in common with the vast majority of French people who do not live in or around Paris.
There were some interesting vignettes and cameos but I felt that the book lacked momentum and enthusiasm. It was flat and there was very little change of pace to relieve this unrelenting flatness.
The authors' boyfriend and ultimately husband was a two dimensional figure and seemed to play very little part in her life except as an occasional stooge and/or fall guy.
I did admire her tenacity in finding work as a freelance journalist but maybe she should still to journalism because there are very few books that I decide not to bother finishing and this was one of them.