Profile for Ankur Banerjee > Reviews

Content by Ankur Banerjee

Ankur Banerjee (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Ridder Plattfuß 672740-350 Shower Safety Foot Mat 54x54 cm Neon-Orange
Ridder Plattfuß 672740-350 Shower Safety Foot Mat 54x54 cm Neon-Orange

3.0 out of 5 stars Colourful touch to the bathroom, probably won't buy again, 10 Jan. 2016
When I bought this mat, I loved the fact that it came in a bright, bold colour. Initially the suction was great and stuck to the shower floor, but after a couple months it got noticeably loose with only parts of the mat sticking on. Finally having to replace this because it constantly shifts now by slight amounts during a shower. Probably going for a different product this time.

Hi-Tec Zuuk, Men's Trainers, White/Grey/Green, 8 UK
Hi-Tec Zuuk, Men's Trainers, White/Grey/Green, 8 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for hiking/trekking. Great for daily wear., 29 Aug. 2015
It's hard to believe how incredibly light and breathable these trainers are! Every friend I've shown it to has commented on it on how good they look, and they're even more amazed when I show them how light they are to hold. That also means these trainers are comfortable to wear for many, many hours. The toggle-lock system as opposed to tying laces also means they are very easy to take on/off.

Having said that, I did find a few issues with them: soles are entirely gone in six months, despite supposedly having high-resistance soles. And the mesh fabric means the don't offer any waterproofing at all. Even stepping momentarily into a puddle can mean ending up with wet feet.

They are marketed as "all-purpose" trainers that can be used for camping, post hike etc. That may only be very vaguely true, because the undersoles offer zero grip. I learned that the tough way that the slightest amount of wet terrain can result in a lot of slip-and-slide. I'd stick to using this in COMPLETELY dry weather - where the breathable means it's more comfortable to wear without sweating.

Despite the shortcomings, I'd still recommend them highly for dry weather situations. I would absolutely not suggest them for wet/slippery weather.

Draper DIY Series 02266 14-Piece Ratchet Screwdriver and Bit Set
Draper DIY Series 02266 14-Piece Ratchet Screwdriver and Bit Set
Offered by Toolville Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Portable alternative to a full Draper screwdriver set, 5 April 2015
As a compact screwdriver set this works fairly well. I prefer to carry this instead of my full Draper set since that one can get quite bulky to carry. Bits attached cover a lot of common use case. The bits do sometimes tend to fall out when swapping different ones, so watch out that you aren't losing any inadvertently.

Due to the construction, with bits stored in the hollowed-out handle, it's very end-heavy - that can sometimes make it prone to falling out during use, or hard to get a solid grip.

Case Logic DCB305 Compact Camcorder Kit Bag with Interior Dividers and Side Storage Compartments

5.0 out of 5 stars Compact carry case, 5 April 2015
This is a really cool and compact camcorder kit bag. Lots of sufficient padding for the camera, and many pockets to fit in a charging cable, charging adapter, extra battery et al. More importantly, the distinct orange inner lining makes it look neat. The shoulder / carry strap feels a bit flimsy though, but no issues so far.

C2G DB9 Female to DB25 Male Serial Adapter
C2G DB9 Female to DB25 Male Serial Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable product, make sure you're buying the right thing, 14 Feb. 2015
I needed this to connect to an old Cisco 7200 VXR router which had a serial DB25 male console port to my standard DB9F to USB converter. Make sure you're getting the right product you want. This is a "straight-through" design which is required for conversion from DB9F to DB25M if one end of what you want to convert is a "DTE" (data terminal equipment) like your laptop and the other end is a "DCE" (data circuit-terminating equipment) like most routers

Klipsch Image S3m In Ear Headphone - Red
Klipsch Image S3m In Ear Headphone - Red
Offered by i want one of those

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound quality; looks flimsy, but is actually tough, 15 Jan. 2015
I generally buy in-ear headphones in the sub-£60 price bracket almost exclusively, so I've had a lot of experience with different brands. By far, these the Klipsch S3m is the best pair I've ever owned. Sound quality was good and I liked that it doesn't skew towards lows/bass, like many headphones in this price range are wont to do.

The buds are comfortable to wear and don't pop out. Their marketing spiel is the oval-shaped buds result in a better in-ear fit. Without going into how valid that claim may be scientifically, my personal experience is that unlike other brands where buds pop out very often, this is not the case with Klipsch. The thin wires make it so that it doesn't drag down on the buds, despite having an inline mic.

The single-button for picking up calls, skipping tracks etc is a neat system that worked well with my Lumia phone. Very useful for operating with minimal hand interaction.

The wires ARE incredibly thin, at all joints and throughout the length of the headphones, and that might be a cause for concern for some. However, I've used these in very punishing usage: I travel often, and I usually just chuck these into my backpack without keeping them in carry pouch. Or tugged on them when it got underneath something. Or carry them in tight jeans' pockets (accidentally put them into the washing machine as well, once). Or, sometimes, I have a habit of chewing on the wires absent-mindedly while working. This pair took all of that beating without the headphones cutting out or getting damaged functionally.

If you're looking for a pair of headphones with mic / inline controls below £50, this is a highly recommended buy. Stay away only if you're the kind who like bass-heavy headphones.

Levv PVC Office Chair, Black
Levv PVC Office Chair, Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as advertised, 14 Jan. 2015
I went for this chair because it looked reasonably stylish. Not fully happy with the product, primarily due to the following reasons:

- The adjustable height column keeps slowly sinking to a lower level practically on a daily basis after 4-5 months of use. (And to answer what you're probably thinking in your head, I'm within my normal weight / BMI range.) This is incredibly annoying, having to adjust it every few days.
- The horizontal plane of the chair keeps tilting to one side after extended use, to the point that it's now practically listing over to the left side all the time.
- Perhaps I should have expected this from the pictures, but the armrests are *incredibly* hard; they're just a thin leather-ish strip over metal. I didn't expect an adjustable armrest but didn't expect it to be this uncomfortable either.

The description also advertises "tilt" as a feature, which I'm assuming is for backrest tilt: no such backrest tilt mechanism exists.

UPDATE: After a year and a half, the right armrest completely broke and fell apart from the chair. Disappointing product.

Hama Star 61 Tripod
Hama Star 61 Tripod
Offered by TapeCity

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended for travellers, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Hama Star 61 Tripod (Camera)
Very versatile tripod and extremely lightweight. I'm able to carry it in a laptop backpack - sure, it sticks out a bit - without it feeling too heavy. The crank/ratchet extension can give you a much taller floor to camera height; which was very useful for me since I wanted this for videography.

You also get a lot of flexibility for the degrees of motion that you can achieve in various axes. (Again, the caveat is "at this price".) But for a starter I'd highly recommend it, especially if you want to take this while going travelling.

Grifiti Nootle Universal Phone Tripod Mount 1/4 20 Thread Adjustable Fit For iPhone, Smartphone, Galaxy, Andriod, HTC One, Sony, Nokia with Cover or Case

2.0 out of 5 stars You need a phone of phablet-like dimensions for this to be usable, 7 Jan. 2015
I wanted a mount to attach to a stand tripod head. The adjustable grip with a ratchet mechanism works well in securing a phone; I didn't feel scared that it would fall off.

The drawback is that the placement of your phone camera has to be VERY specific for this to be usable. Ideally, your phone camera should be on the extreme top left/right corner; otherwise - like in my case, with a Lumia 735 - if your camera lens is lower down the phone body, you'll find the tripod attachment obscuring or peeping into shot.

Another problem is that phones tend to have buttons on the side. Attaching the grip could activate one of these buttons when attaching the grip. This is ESPECIALLY a problem if your phone's sleep/power button is on the side. On my Lumia 735, I had to keep the phone hanging off a corner of this mount to ensure it didn't activate that button. My guess is the bigger problem will be if your phone has a dedicated camera button on the side.

Bobble BPA-Free 1 Litre Water Bottle, Black
Bobble BPA-Free 1 Litre Water Bottle, Black

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, but could be better, 7 Jan. 2015
I've had three of these Bobble 1 litre water bottles in a year now. Before I talk about the product, I'd like to bring up a couple of different issues faced:

- On the first bottle, the white plastic cap shattered after it fell on my room's hardwood floor. In the US, Bobble offers a free replacement cap for such situations that you can request from their customer support. This option is not available in the UK.
- My second one was leaky right out of the box, with water dripping out of the filter. I told Amazon about this and they happily shipped a free replacement to me.

I do like the sleek shape and design, makes it stand out. It's also true that plastic the bottle's made of dents / creases within weeks if you tend to carry it around in your backpack. Due to its shape, it can tend to be...unstable. If you knock one over accidentally, it rolls away very quickly. (As opposed to many brand-name packaged drinking water brands or other water bottle brands, which use a squarish shape for this exact reason.) Not nitpicking, because 1 litre of water can be heavy / unwieldy, you'll probably end up knocking it over frequently.

The filter works well because it works as soon as you need it without waiting. I also own a Black + Blum Charcoal Filter water bottle (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Charcoal-Filter-Water-Bottle/dp/B008FNAI6K/) which takes longer to filter water because it passively purifies it in the bottle. In terms of design and build quality however, I *much* prefer Black + Blum because it's made from harder plastic and looks WAY better-designed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10