Profile for Richard Cogan / Heike Wessels > Reviews

Content by Richard Cogan ...

Richard Cogan / Heike Wessels

Page: 1 | 2
Heartbreak Hotel
Heartbreak Hotel
Price: 3.66

3.0 out of 5 stars A good and fun read!, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Heartbreak Hotel (Kindle Edition)
Although I had no difficulty reading this, and thoroughly enjoyed the humour of it, at the end of the day I felt it was just too easy, even schmaltzy at the end. No regrets, but not my favourite ...

Roads to Berlin
Roads to Berlin
Price: 3.96

4.0 out of 5 stars An extraordinary writer, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Roads to Berlin (Kindle Edition)
Well known in many countries, but perhaps not well enough in the UK! A superb writer, historian - and philosopher in that grand European tradition. This narrative about Germany pre and post the Wall taught me so much about Europe and where it may or might go. It makes the current concerns in the UK about Europe seem, well really, pathetic! A new vision ...

Falling Upwards: How We Took to the Air
Falling Upwards: How We Took to the Air
Price: 4.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Remarkable, 12 Jan 2014
I didn't half expect to admire and enjoy this account of balloons as much as I did. No more than that, it hooked me into the strange world of 19th century flying, with its absurdities, hilarious incidents, tragedies, and insights. For anyone who enjoys superb writing and documentation of an extraordinary time.

All the Days and Nights (Vintage Classics)
All the Days and Nights (Vintage Classics)
Price: 4.31

4.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 12 Jan 2014
Only recently (to my shame) began to explore William Maxwell - what a waste of my reading life. He is just a master of writing the 'ordinary' experience of life. Everyone who loves books must read this.

The Wasted Vigil
The Wasted Vigil
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Afghanistan observers - and anyone else!, 1 May 2013
This review is from: The Wasted Vigil (Kindle Edition)
Now a total fan of Nadeem Aslam. Yhis novel got under the skin of American intervention in Afghanistan, and the contradictions (and sometimes horrors it produced alongside the previous USSR intervention, without in any way letting the Taliban and other Muslim extremists off the hook). A truly remarkable achievement by an 'insider'.

Mind and Cosmos: Why the Materialist Neo-Darwinian Conception of Nature Is Almost Certainly False
Price: 8.23

4.0 out of 5 stars literally mind boggling, 15 April 2013
not an easy philosophical read, but it will be my first port of call in any discussion about the origins of life and Darwinism. From a thinking sceptic!

Maps for Lost Lovers
Maps for Lost Lovers
Price: 4.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Nadeem a real and belated discovery for this book addict, 15 April 2013
Don't know why I hadn't discovered him before - my loss! Terrifying descriptions of race, bigotry and plain ignorance. But I've made up for it now ....

Far From The Tree: Parents, Children and the Search for Identity
Far From The Tree: Parents, Children and the Search for Identity
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good and memorable, 15 April 2013
but I found the tone and style not too easy to follow. I guess if I were deaf a dwarf/disabled in some other way or had a son/daughter with some such, then I would give it 5 stars.

Silent House
Silent House
Price: 5.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Pamuk the greatest, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Silent House (Kindle Edition)
Although it's one of his earliest novels (but only recently avaialbale in English), I think it's one of his very best. The atmosphere as ever is truly palpable.

Tenth of December
Tenth of December
Price: 4.12

5.0 out of 5 stars just fab, 15 April 2013
This review is from: Tenth of December (Kindle Edition)
one of the very best short story writers ever - more! Such variety and intelligent analysis, plus thrills and spills!

Page: 1 | 2