Profile for John Craig > Reviews

Content by John Craig

John Craig "litlover" (sheffield)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
August: Osage County [DVD]
August: Osage County [DVD]
Dvd ~ Abigail Breslin

5.0 out of 5 stars I you liked whose Afraid of Virginia Woolff you will doubtless like ..., 27 Nov. 2015
This review is from: August: Osage County [DVD] (DVD)
I you liked whose Afraid of Virginia Woolff you will doubtless like this overwrought family drama...all stops out from Meryl Streep, long broody scenes suddenly erupting in verbal violence. Julia Roberts a good match for Streep and for once playing a character that doesnt rely on the usual cheesy, comedic cuteness which I find on occasions can be irritating. Here she is strong and complex and her exchanges with Streep are film drama at their best...Everyone else in is well cast with equal opportunity to keep you on edge, especially good is Domenic Cumberbatch in a small but telling part. This is family drama, to call them disfunctional is a gross underestimation. Intelligent and gripping.

Lightning Cable Syncwire Apple iPhone Charger -[Apple MFi Certified] Lifetime Guarantee Series- for iPhone 6S Plus 6 Plus SE 5S 5C 5, iPad 2 3 4 Mini, iPad Pro Air 2, iPod - 3.3ft/1m White

The Goldfinch
The Goldfinch
by Donna Tartt

2.0 out of 5 stars overblown and overwritten, 29 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Goldfinch (Paperback)
One mans meat.......from now on no more Donna Tartt for me. Having read The Secret History also , here I have come to the conclusion that she is a writer, admittedly a writer of sometimes beautiful prose style, but heaven help us...so repetative and long winded.
coming in at seven hundred plus pages. I totally lost interest half way through. Couldn't understand why characters disappear half way thru' only to reappear three hundred pages on when you have forgotten who they are.
She is so grossly overwritten and doesnt seem to know when to bring a story to a satisfactory conclusion. I seldom give up on a book and was determined to see this one through,it was punishing but I did it.

LOVEFiLM By Post
LOVEFiLM By Post

1.0 out of 5 stars what a dreadful service Amazon are giving us, 30 July 2014
This review is from: LOVEFiLM By Post (App)
How on earth do I access Love film by post...cannot find a way in to my rental list...this new system is dreadful and I will looking for another supplier
After years of good efficient service...why fix it if it isnt broken???? VERY DISATISFIED

The Secret History
The Secret History
by Donna Tartt

2.0 out of 5 stars Grossly overwritten, 24 Jun. 2014
This review is from: The Secret History (Paperback)
I started out with a good heart....sent for "The Goldfinch" as it was much talked about only to receive it in hardback...too heavy for holiday reading...so got this equally heavy tome but more practically in paperback.of this earlier novel
The style I found fascinating and thought I was in for the proverbial good read...here comes the big "But"..like many modern novels....sooo overwritten and repetative... The characters endlessly call upon each other, take tea or sometimes hard stuff and ask meaningless questions, the story is slow to progress to the pointless murder, for which there was no believable motive.
All the characters, I found two-dimensional and unsympathetic, so that I really couldn't raise much interest in any of them. Tartt bamboozles us into thinking she is a classical scholar with her interspertions of Greek and Latin, but it struck me as being somewhat pompous and pretentious.
After the murder, the novel meanders on endlessly to its very unsatisfactory conclusion...sentences pile upon sentences as if they had been randomly selected to flesh out the book without moving the story along.. There is a charismatic Tutor who figures but is insufficiently fleshed out. All in all, very disappointing...and now I have "The Goldfinch" to get to grips with...oh lordy.

The Stork Club [DVD]
The Stork Club [DVD]
Dvd ~ Betty Hutton

3.0 out of 5 stars Betty Hutton...the forgotton star, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Stork Club [DVD] (DVD)
this is hokum of the first order....did we really watch such trite films in my youth? I bought it because I have been a huge fan of Betty Hutton...still am....so from that point of view it was a worthwhile purchase for her musical numbers alone.
It would be of little interest to anyone born post 1950....unless they were doing a study of film....but most young people I encounter do not show much interest in the history of film. My nephew gave me a copy of Bjork singing "It's oh so quiet"...thinking it an original song. Of course it was a Betty Hutton standby way back in the forties, and she makes a better job of it than Bjork

Light Years (Penguin Modern Classics)
Light Years (Penguin Modern Classics)
by James Salter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not me....not me at all, 7 Aug. 2013
I really wanted to like this book in the hope that I had found another author whose books I could go thru' like the proverbial hot knife thru butter. Would I discover another Edward St. Aubyn or Stephen Bennatar?
Sadly I found the over description, the flowery prose, tho' in some cases beautiful, really got in the way of the character development. I neither knew nor cared about whom I was reading. Frankly I found the style somewhat pretentious and after a while irritating. The time shifts confused me. Was I reading about something in the present or an incident past?
If you like your characters to have off the wall names like "Viri" "Nedra"..."Franca"
"Jivan" and "Hadji"...this last one , the dog....Then you might like this book...to me its an indication that I am reading something profoundly phony and labouring for effect. I couldn't finish it unfortunately.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 12:01 PM GMT

Company [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]
Company [Blu-ray] [2011] [US Import]

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad service from Amazon, 2 July 2013
Was just about to do my order with one click when I decided to read the reviews for "Company"....How can this be...a product advertised as Blue Ray multi-regional and the buyers this side of the pond experiencing difficulty playing on their Blue-ray multi -regional players.. Obviously going going to give this one a miss until the technicalities are ironed out. Maybe not Amazons fault but they ARE selling it after all and should have some sort of checks in place.
One more beef while I.m here...why oh why do they not list the song titles on albums...its soooo irritating not to have this product info.

Abide With Me
Abide With Me

3.0 out of 5 stars Joe lends class to a rather hackneyed work, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Abide With Me (MP3 Download)
As huge fan of Joe Mc, I cant see where his career is going...this wont garner him many new fans I feel. I dont believe that he's a pop singer the voice is too good for the pop-pap he's so far put out...his Classical album is the best and maybe he should take a look at what Josh Groban is doing. This choir is an admirable brain child of a wonderfully inspiring young conductor, Gareth Thomas (?) and I would like it to do well for the sake of the charity, Prostate Cancer

Bully in Sight: How to predict, resist, challenge and combat workplace bullying - Overcoming the silence and denial by which abuse thrives
by Tim Field

5.0 out of 5 stars useful info, 8 Jan. 2013
For anyone subjected to bullying either in the workplace, or in school this will give you all the information you need to put your mind at rest...ITS NOT YOUR FAULT... You will find out how to deal with Bullies, they mostly are cowards at heart, very devious and sometimes very nasty.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3