Profile for Tromba Marina > Reviews

Content by Tromba Marina

Tromba Marina (Gloucestershire and Chania, Crete)

Ambimed Inc Inject-ease® Automatic Injector -Injections Made Easy
Ambimed Inc Inject-ease® Automatic Injector -Injections Made Easy
Offered by EMS Medical Warehouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Self-injecting made easy and painless, 31 Dec. 2013
This is a superb gadget. I had really had a phobia about sticking needles into myself - I've always hated injections and blood tests etc - but I needn't have worried. Using the BD Microfine PLUS needles (30 gauge, 8mm long), I truly do not feel a thing as the needle goes in!! I inject quite slowly, leave it 5 seconds or so, then pull out gently and again I feel nothing. It has transformed my views about self-injecting, and injections generally. Can't praise it too highly.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 7:03 PM GMT

Boneco 2055D Filterless Air Purifier & Evaporative Humidifier - Digital Humidity Display & Control with Fragrance Cartridge & Pre-Ioniser
Offered by multitrader

4.0 out of 5 stars High Tech Humidifer, 28 Feb. 2013
The black exterior is a bit forbidding at first, but I've got used to it. It does seem to be offered for sale at very widely varying prices on Amazon, and I should not be buying it today at this seller's price of over £349 including delivery! When I bought it nearly 2 months month ago, it was being offered by another Amazon marketplace seller at two-thirds of that price; and I would think that is probably what it is actually worth.
It efficiently converts water into humidity, and the controls to set the "desired" humidity level are easy to manipulate; once set, the display then shows the "current" level, and (in a decent-sized room) it quite rapidly increases the overall humidity, and stops when the "desired" level is reached. The reading is a little optimistic when compared with my calibrated and tested hygrometer, but that's not a serious failing. I bought it to keep a music room (with grand piano, harpsichord and 'cello) adequately humid for the instruments when the central heating has to be on. Without the humidifier, humidity then drops to 30-35% which is dangerously low; this machine has no difficulty in maintaining a steady 55-60% indicated (50-55% according to the hygrometer).
The "quiet" setting is an acceptable level of movement-of-air sound; "normal" is too noisy for use in a music room. I had expected it to be rather quieter, perhaps rivalling an ancient (and basically crude - but effective!) Moulinex evaporative humidifier which eventually passed away last winter. "Quiet" is not so very much louder than the Moulinex was, and is liveable-with.
The recommended amount of cleaning is a drawback, but it does seem to function perfectly efficiently with much less frequent attention. But I haven't tried scenting the air yet, which might make a difference. I probably won't get round to trying that anyway!
No regrets about this purchase.

Samsung E1150 Mobile Phone (Cobble Black)
Samsung E1150 Mobile Phone (Cobble Black)

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing value but surprisingly plasticky, 11 Jun. 2011
A big surprise to discover how lightweight and plasticky it feels; but it works effectively as a phone, navigating is pretty instinctive, and battery life seems to be as good as everyone else says it is. For a basic phone you couldn't reasonably ask for more - and at the price.... Astonishing value.

Vikuiti DQC160 Screen Protector for Canon EOS 50D - PREMIUM QUALITY (crystal clear, scratch-resistant, easy mountable)
Offered by DISAGU protectionfilms

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 28 Nov. 2010
Very prompt delivery from Germany, clear instructions on how to fix the film to the screen, and I'm happy to feel the screen is protected in this way. I don't yet know how scratch-resistant the film is, but it would be easy to replace if it does get damaged, and I'd much rather have a damaged protecting film than a damaged screen....

Lexar 4GB 300X Professional UDMA CompactFlash
Lexar 4GB 300X Professional UDMA CompactFlash

5.0 out of 5 stars Lexar Professional UDMA 4Gb CF card, 8 July 2010
Arrived 2 days after placing the order, which I can't fault. The card is superb - very much faster than the Sandisk Extreme III cards I've used until now, which I thought were pretty fast. I've had it a month now; assuming it lasts, I'll be very happy indeed with this purchase!

Neewer 5X Lens Cap Keepers / Holders For Any Slr Or Dslr Camera! Nikon D40 D50 D60 D80 D200 D300 Fuji S1000 S1500 S2000 S700 S800 Canon Xs Xsi T1I Sony Pentax
Offered by iTekLife Global

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful little accessory, 31 May 2010
The easiest way to avoid losing lens caps - a little pad with adhesive backing, which sticks onto the cap, and the elastic fits neatly round the lens barrel. The cap swings about freely when you take it off, which I suppose can be a bit of a distraction at times - but it's certainly nothing like as annoying as trying to remember what you did with an unattached cap. These are excellent value.

Blue Skies and Black Olives: A Survivor's Tale of Housebuilding and Peacock Chasing in Greece
by John Humphrys

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 1 Dec. 2009
This is all too believable - we've been there! - and if you're thinking of building a house in Greece, you'll be well primed. (I wish we had had a peacock experience; but I'm glad our pool hasn't started - yet - sliding down the hillside.) It's essential to have someone on the spot who understands Greek people and Greek ways, and Christopher's contributions are every bit as entertaining and well-written as his father's. They write with real affection for each other, and for the land and its people - perhaps especially when describing some of the frustrations of the project and their life there!

Middle class? Not so, if you actually read the book. But even if it is - what's wrong with that, for goodness sake? Because he plainly hasn't the time (and perhaps the skill - he doesn't try to hide his DIY exploits) to do the actual labouring himself, must John be denied his Greek paradise? I suppose, because he's a Classical Musician, Christopher must be a Middle-Class Elitist. What nonsense. Some reviewers' comments here just reek of sour envy, which is rather sad, and reflects more on them than on this book.

Anyone who can relax, Greek-style, and isn't simply scouring the book for things to be outraged by, will find huge amounts of enjoyment in every chapter here, as well as sympathetic (though often bemused) insight into all sorts of aspects of Greek life and culture. It's a great holiday-read, and as a "relocation" book, it's one of the best out there.