Profile for Copper Peanuts > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Purple Revolution: The Year That Changed Everything
The Purple Revolution: The Year That Changed Everything
by Nigel Farage

1.0 out of 5 stars I was hoping that the Purple Love Revolution would be about we would be living in ..., 18 Mar. 2015
I was hoping that the Purple Love Revolution would be about we would be living in a great big San Francisco later this year with bulging bell-ends on full display. How disappointing! I don't see any evidence of love in this book at all. The only bulging purple bell-ends would be Nige's inbred private school mates. "The Poundland Mein Kampf" might be a better title for the second edition.

Half Life 2: Episode Pack (PC)
Half Life 2: Episode Pack (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars More than your average FPS., 30 Sept. 2014
Wow, I wish I'd discovered this sooner. What a great puzzle-solving FPS. The action and chapters are great and the game lasts a long time. There are many points where you have to take time to figure out how to get past a barrier and this requires mental agility. For this I love it as it's more than just kill everyone and reach the checkpoint. Also, for a game that is 10 years old, the graphics are excellent, the gameplay is smooth and it still stands up as worth playing at the current time.
I've already ordered the follow-ups!

NEW Re-Wind Wind-Up Solar Rechargeable Portable AM/FM Radio with USB Charging Port (Cable Included) - No Batteries Required - Ideal for Walking, Hiking, Camping, Beach, Garden, Caravans - 2 Years Worldwide Warranty Included

5.0 out of 5 stars Small but effective!, 30 Sept. 2014
For its tiny size, this radio can produce enough volume to hear it over 30 metres away outside. It's good to have both a solar charger and a wind-up option. They take a bit of time to charge it, of course but it's worth it to save on buying batteries (and the waste of getting rid of them). The tuning quality, sound quality and overall effectiveness make it great value for money.

Utilitarianism
Utilitarianism

1.0 out of 5 stars Some of the worst writing in history, 2 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Utilitarianism (Kindle Edition)
This book is basically impossible to understand. His sentences go on and on and keep bringing in clause after clause so that it is about as useful as reading a random list of words. After giving up on the first chapter about a few pages to go to the main part, I found it just as bad and for a book that's supposed to be important in philosophy, it is probably the worst written book I've ever come across.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 20, 2014 6:06 AM BST

Hand Drill
Hand Drill
Offered by Alex Whyte

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but with one minor issue, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Hand Drill
I was impressed when I bought this drill. For the price I was expecting something spectacular. I've been told that inside the handle it is loaded with diamonds which kind of justifies the price. I can't see them to verify this as it would mean breaking the handle and therefore rendering it useless.
The main issue with it however is that when drilling into wood, instead of making simple round holes it kind of wanders off all over the place and you end up with a long squiggly hole which of course means that accuracy is limited. An example of this is when I wanted simply to drill one hole to screw a piece of wood to another but when I removed the drill bit, the hole looked more like an Etch-a-Sketch representation of a bowl of fruit and I couldn't remember where I wanted the screw to go.
Other than that, it's a steal at £2400 as I've sold several of my pieces of now-unusable wood as artwork and am making upwards of £400 a time from what were initially accidents.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 10, 2015 10:01 AM BST

The Vietnam War: History in an Hour
The Vietnam War: History in an Hour

5.0 out of 5 stars A great summary, 17 Oct. 2013
I found this very useful for getting the main points made clear. It's easy to read, not biased towards any side and gives a comprehensive account of the events that unfolded. Well worth it.

BRAND NEW KING SIZE ELECTRIC WASHABLE HEATED UNDER BLANKET
BRAND NEW KING SIZE ELECTRIC WASHABLE HEATED UNDER BLANKET

2.0 out of 5 stars An ineffective blanket, 17 Oct. 2013
I bought this to replace my old one that took ages to heat up enough. I expected this to be more efficient but with only 2 heat settings, the highest setting doesn't even heat it up as much as my old one! I really wouldn't recommend this if you can afford another one. It works but I doubt that you'd find it satisfactory.

Among the Tibetans
Among the Tibetans

2.0 out of 5 stars Not really worth reading, 16 Mar. 2012
This short book is basically a diary of a rich woman who went through the mountains with her servants. There is no story to it and as you might find if you started reading anyone's diary, it doesn't mean much to anyone else. She shows her prejudices throughout it and comes across as rather stuck-up. I read it all as it was short but don't bother with it unless you want to read endless descriptions of fauna and flora in this part of the world interspersed with xenophobic comments.

That Bear Ate My Pants! Adventures of a real Idiot Abroad
That Bear Ate My Pants! Adventures of a real Idiot Abroad

3.0 out of 5 stars Proof-reader urgently required, 16 Mar. 2012
After being on a similar volunteer project in Ecuador, I naturally thought this acount should be interesting. A lot of what he went through reminded me of some incidents from my own time there.
All in all, it's an amusing read and is quite well written. However, there are some flaws with it that just get annoying as the book goes on.
I really don't understand why someone from London writes in such 'pidgin' English (i.e. American). We don't use words like 'gotten' and 'freeway' in the UK, so what's that all about? I would suggest that he had auto-correct set to American and he lost all the right words.
But that wouldn't explain why he kept writing 'it's' instead of 'its'. 'It's' is only short for 'it is' or 'it has'. For possession, you use 'its'. There are plenty of other mistakes that always left me wondering why he didn't ask someone with a decent knowledge of the language to check it for him.
And, with him being a self-confessed lad, I found he got more annoying as a person as his story went on.
It's a shame as otherwise, it's a decent read.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 17, 2012 6:56 PM BST

The Treasure of the Incas
The Treasure of the Incas

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent read but not a classic, 28 Feb. 2012
Treasure of the Incas

This is a 19th century novel about two British navy officers who go on an expedition to Peru to search for Inca treasure. They don't know if they are going to find any but cling to the small chance, using the help of a native guide. They encounter problems with native bandits and come across disappointments but the older Briton, Harry, has two years to strike gold, with the intenion of then becoming rich enough to ask for his girlfriend's hand in marriage.
The story is fairly good, although the speech at times is very unnatural and is like they are either reading a manual or stating the obvious. To begin with, it seems that Harry and Bertie know absolutely everything about undertaking an adventure that they have never been on before but not everything goes their way, so it's not as predictable as it seems.
For free, it's worth getting if you want a simple adventure story that gives a small insight into heading into the Andes and its culture but don't expect a high quality novel.

Page: 1 | 2