Profile for Victoria Morgan > Reviews

Gerald's Game
Gerald's Game
by Stephen King
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars I know it was written 22 years ago, I know we all know how BRILLIANT he is, but..., 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Gerald's Game (Paperback)
...after reading it for the nth time, I felt compelled to put down in black and white just how dark, disturbing and magnificent King's writing is in Gerald's Game.

Nothing much "happens". There is next to no dialogue. Next to no character interaction. But the book is crammed full of emotion, fear, suspense, agony. If I were a writer I'd be sorely tempted to copy the 'inner voices' technique, as it introduces the reader to a wealth of information, background, what-ifs.

And yet again King uses his trademark scene-setting through music, lyrics

(space cowboy gangster of love)

childhood nicknames and chants.

LOVED IT.

And, after turning off the light, had to ask my husband "is it normally this dark in here?".

Gulp.

Judas Scar, The
Judas Scar, The
by Amanda Jennings
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars Absorbing, upsetting, heart-wrenching!, 31 May 2014
This review is from: Judas Scar, The (Paperback)
A large gin and tonic followed the last page. This was not an easy read, but, wow, it was a great one. I raced through the book in three sittings, desperate to figure the whole thing out and to keep up with the pacy narrative. As a mum of young boys, it was painful to go through the thoughts and feelings of the male characters as children - my heart ached and tears were shed! Without revealing any spoilers, a favourite scene was that where Will makes a confession to Harmony - so powerful and emotional. Loved the complexity of the main characters - just as you think you've sorted the good from the bad, along comes a plot line that throws your assumptions up in the air. Fab. Can't wait for the next one.

When God was a Rabbit
When God was a Rabbit
by Sarah Winman
Price: 8.09

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and quirky, 31 May 2014
This review is from: When God was a Rabbit (Paperback)
While there were elements I loved - the character-driven, sweet and imaginative narrative, the bittersweet and funny moments - I can't give the book five stars as it didn't hold my attention throughout. Somehow it felt disjointed and it lost me part way through. I would, however, buy more books from the same author as I enjoyed the author's style of writing.

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars A stunning book. Powerful and painful., 30 May 2014
I really enjoyed the Kite Runner. Then I read this and was blown away. SO good. SO moving. It's hard to read - the setting is harsh and some characters are brutal - but it is an amazing story which will stay with you forever.

The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
The Unlikely Pilgrimage Of Harold Fry
by Rachel Joyce
Price: 3.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Subtle, sensitive, sweet - LOVED it!, 30 May 2014
Such a simple concept, but wow - so beautifully written. A wonderfully understated observation of the power of the human spirit, and a humbling tale of dedication. Could (and probably will) read this over and over again.

Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
Bonkers: My Life in Laughs
Price: 3.49

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful insight into the life of a decidedly un-slebby sleb, 30 May 2014
Reading this autobiography won't leave you feeling that you know her intimately, but you will gain an insight into the rich, funny and interesting life led so far by Jennifer Saunders. It is witty and wise, and sweet and poignant. An easy book to dip in and out of, recommended to all those who, like me, have grown up watching and laughing with her.