Profile for Granny Jill > Reviews

Content by Granny Jill

Granny Jill "jilshil" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
How to Write a Jolly Good Book: Write a ripping yarn and get it into print!
How to Write a Jolly Good Book: Write a ripping yarn and get it into print!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - a jolly good read!, 8 April 2014
As a would-be author of short stories I found this book excellent value for money. It covers a lot of ground and is an easy read....it is full of helpful, practical suggestions written by someone who knows what they are talking about. . And it is a jolly good read.

The World's Wife
The World's Wife
by Carol Ann Duffy

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Genius, 3 April 2014
This review is from: The World's Wife (Paperback)
I love Carol Ann Duffy's poetry and this compilation is a delight....the concept is clever and amusing. I love how she can adapt each poem to suit - each is unique in style and subject. Loved it, loved it, loved it!

The Long Road: My Journey
The Long Road: My Journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great read from Paddy Cummins, 3 April 2014
Paddy relates the true story of his life as he grows and develops. He reveals to us the innumerable changes of direction he makes, but always with the emphasis on moving onwards and upwards. As you read you want to follow Paddy; to go where he goes, to see what he sees and to share in his good times and his bad. You feel compelled to stay with him because you want to know how each episode ends and how the next begins, until finally, well - there is no 'finally' as Paddy says 'I'll stroll on while there's still more road to travel, while it's still daylight and before the darkness sets in.' I really enjoyed keeping him company, and look forward to doing more of the same in the future.

The Suburbs
The Suburbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Suburbs (Audio CD)
My only criticism of Arcade Fire is that they aren't prolific enough....I love their music, even though I am in my dotage (69!)....the energy and excitement they convey carries me away, and I'm moved too by the quieter melancholic tracks. Lovely stuff

Sacred Spirit:Chants and Dances of the Native Americans
Sacred Spirit:Chants and Dances of the Native Americans

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 29 Dec. 2012
Purchased this to replace an original copy that I had years ago. So, no surprises just delighted to get the music back again.

The Bees
The Bees
by Carol Ann Duffy

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Bees (Hardcover)
I am biased. In my eyes Carol Ann Duffy can do no wrong. I love this book...it is a joy to read, even though I find myself in tears as I read some of the poems. She manages to make each poem different from the last, in form, in language and in imagery. Turning the pages for the first time delighted me, and delights me still.

Best British Poetry 2011, The
Best British Poetry 2011, The
by Roddy Lumsden

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 29 Dec. 2012
If this is the best of British Poetry in 2011 then god help us. The poems were mostly pretentious rubbish...and I read a lot of current poetry. The compiler of the anthology seems to have made his choices based on: if it makes no sense, is badly written, ungrammatical and (seemingly) written by 'poets' whose grasp of the English language is suspect then it's in. One of two poems pass muster, but only just.

Considering Poetry: An Approach to Criticism (New School)
Considering Poetry: An Approach to Criticism (New School)
by B. A. Phythian

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 29 Dec. 2012
I managed to read the whole book, but it didn't excite me or inspire me. Buy The Ode Less Travelled by Stephen Fry instead.....

Death Comes to Pemberley: Enhanced Edition
Death Comes to Pemberley: Enhanced Edition

2.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 29 Dec. 2012
I'm not a reader of P.D.James but I thought she was supposed to be an ace writer of mystery novels. I am a lover of Pride and Prejudice...this was very disappointing on both counts...hopeless as a follow on to P and P, and hopeless as a mystery novel.

Park Tool Super Patch Kit
Park Tool Super Patch Kit
Offered by Southwater Cycles

3.0 out of 5 stars Expensive, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Park Tool Super Patch Kit (Sports)
Tiny little box, with tiny little patches....the cost of postage bumped this up. I wouldn't buy these again, especially as the patches were too small for the repair I needed

Page: 1 | 2