Profile for G. Tully > Reviews

Content by G. Tully

G. Tully "Velcrosnowglobe" (Hampshire, England)

Samsung CLT-P4072B Rainbow kit - Toner cartridge - 2 x black
Samsung CLT-P4072B Rainbow kit - Toner cartridge - 2 x black

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Price!, 29 July 2013
Searched Google and Ebay for the best price but, with the exception of one Amazon Market Place seller, Amazon were by far the cheapest. As it happens, when I went through checkout I got my NUS discount automatically deducted and it worked out cheaper than that Market Place seller anyway!

These twin packs offer much better value than the single packs. That's important in our house, as my wife is writing up her doctorate dissertation and I'm about to start me degree one!

Colourbox
Colourbox

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It!, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Colourbox (Audio CD)
They were on 4AD and they played synths. Hence, they were cool. They were also criminally ignored by the mainstream media. They had a number one single under an assumed name and then split up. Did I mention they were cool? It's worth having this just because it's the first time all the tracks from the limited release, double vinyl version of the album have been available on cd. They were Colourbox. They were magnificent. They were cool. Or did I mention that already?
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 23, 2012 8:51 PM BST

Devil May Care (James Bond)
Devil May Care (James Bond)

3.0 out of 5 stars Never Let Me Down (Again), 31 May 2011
Note: This review is about the paperback version not the Kindle edition.

I saw this for a couple of pounds in a record shop and decided to give it a try. A long train journey beckoned a couple of days later so I started reading it then. The book is an easy read - and I was halfway through it before I reached my destination - but an "easy read" is about the best I can say about it. At times, the storyline is unintentionally funny when it is supposed to be horrific and on at least one occasion I'm sure it completely contradicts itself. Conversations tend to use modern dialogue (did anyone really say "press the flesh" before 1997?) despite the fact the story itself seems to be set around 1967 or 1968. The plot twists (and there are quite a few) can be spotted a mile off. In fact, I found myself impatiently waiting for some of them to come just to get them out of the way. Too many of the scenes of jeopardy seem to just be re-writes of scenes from the first few Bond films and thus any intended tension is lost in a cloud of deja vu.

On the plus side, Faulks writes beautifully about the locations he takes us to and their history and the villainous characters are pure Fleming.

In conclusion, I enjoyed the book but I think I may have felt a little robbed if I'd paid full price for it.

Quartet: Remastered Definitive Edition
Quartet: Remastered Definitive Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars Good - But They'd Done Better (and where's the original cover?), 23 April 2010
I've been a bit kind with the star rating, it should be a 3.5 but you can't give half points.

There are some very good tracks on this album, no doubt about that. They are probably enhanced by the memory of the great videos that went with them. Let's face it, Oliver Tobias hamming it up as the Devil in "Hymn" and the misty-eyed tribute to the fighter pilots of WWII in "Reap The Wild Wind" aren't easy to forget (and bring a smile to remember). Those two tracks are probably the stand-outs on here, though I hold both "Mine For Life" and "The Song (We Go)" in high regard, too. On every subsequent album after "Vienna" there was a track that tried too hard to be that album's title track and that shows in "Visions In Blue"; a song that fits in well on the album but probably should never have been a single (but thanks for the video, Midge & Chris ;-)).

The extra disc, for me, isn't worth having. Ultravox B-sides were rarely worth listening to and some of the twelve inch versions weren't great either. Fortunately, there doesn't seem to be a premium on the price for it so I haven't included it in my rating.

I still think that anyone who wants to know what Ultravox were all about should just stick to the last greatest hits package that came out (and if you can get it with the DVD then all the better) or get yourself a copy of the new live album. If you really want to buy the studio albums and you have to pick one then this shouldn't be your first choice. For that, you should get "Vienna" or "Rage In Eden". If you like them then you can come back to this later... and I hope you do.

U-VOX: Remastered Definitive Edition
U-VOX: Remastered Definitive Edition

1.0 out of 5 stars Abysmal!, 8 April 2010
Don't even think about buying this, it was truly the worst album made by any of the incarnations of Ultravox. The band had totally lost direction and jumped on the "I know what this needs... brass" bandwagon that was rolling around at this particular period of the 80s (OMD made the same mistake at the same time). They'd also lost their drummer - Warren Cann - and were working as a three-piece. One of those albums that should never have been released by the label. Amazon could give me the price of the CD and I still wouldn't take it. For a pound more (at the time of this review) you can have the new live CD and DVD; I know what my money is going on.

Avoid!

Gary Numan - Micromusic [1981]
Gary Numan - Micromusic [1981]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars On Its Way At Last... The DVD, 1 April 2010
After - literally - years of searching, a master tape of the concert was found a few months ago and the DVD is set to be released in mid-April, officially launched at a concert in London. Personally, I can't wait. The only down side is that unless you happen to have tickets for that particular concert you'll have to buy the DVD directly from Numan's own website.

Bring it on!!!

More ABBA Gold
More ABBA Gold

2.0 out of 5 stars Born The Wrong Side of the Blanket, 20 Aug 2008
This review is from: More ABBA Gold (Audio CD)
There are too many filler tracks on this album to make it a worthwhile purchase. Perversely, it's one of those tracks - Eagle - that means this collection gets two stars instead of just the one. Stick to "Gold", it's the one with all the cheesey disco on and is all you need.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 12, 2010 8:40 PM GMT

Edge of the 80's
Edge of the 80's

5.0 out of 5 stars Why Isn't There A Sixth Star?, 18 April 2008
This review is from: Edge of the 80's (Audio CD)
It's got 'Lawnchairs' by 'Our Daughter's Wedding' on it! What more reason do you want for buying it?

Richard Hammond's BBC Top Gear Interactive Challenge [2007] [Interactive DVD]
Richard Hammond's BBC Top Gear Interactive Challenge [2007] [Interactive DVD]
Dvd ~ Richard Hammond
Offered by MediaMerchants

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Work On My DVD Player, 5 Jan 2008
It constantly freezes at the end of Round One. I'm going to try it on my PC (as others have) but I'm not holding out much hope.