Profile for Molyneux > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Unexpected Vacation of George Thring
The Unexpected Vacation of George Thring

5.0 out of 5 stars an extraordinary book - well worth reading!, 24 Jun 2014
Totally mad whacky story - I absolutely LOVED it! One of those rare laugh-out-loud books! Can easily see this as a film or mini tv series. Would love more adventures of George Thring - please write a sequel Alastair Puddick!

CAULDSTANE
CAULDSTANE

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant story by Linda Gillard!, 29 May 2014
This review is from: CAULDSTANE (Kindle Edition)
Another brilliant story by Linda Gillard. I so love the way she doesn’t underestimate the reader and I get quite excited picking up the threads and clues she weaves into her stories. And I get a tingle when I find a link to Shakespeare, as I often do in her work! I found this latest book haunting on lots of different levels and I really found it hard to put down! I read it in 3 sittings when I would have preferred to read it in one! Life just got in the way! While I was away the chilling atmosphere of Cauldstane stayed with me...could hardly wait to get back to it, and finally chores left undone until I’d finished!
Having read Daphne du Maurier many years ago it was easy to see how this author has influenced Linda Gillard – memories of Rebecca and Don’t Look Now popped into my head (and now I will seek them out and re-read them!) I too loved Victoria Holt and Mary Stewart and as suggested, this book follows in the same gothic tradition – simply wonderful!
I have read everything by this author, going back to her first novels which were published by a publishing company local to me, Transita. She quickly became one of my favourite authors. Although I have this as an e-book, I will have to get a paper version to store with my other treasured copies of this author’s work. Please keep on writing more novels like this one Linda Gillard – please please don’t stop!!!

Murder in a Different Place (A Libby Sarjeant Murder Mystery Series Book 13)
Murder in a Different Place (A Libby Sarjeant Murder Mystery Series Book 13)
Price: 1.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Another fabulous Libby Sarjeant book - a must read!, 27 May 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, another wonderful cosy murder mystery by an author who has become one of my favourites. This time set in Kent and the Isle of Wight – places I hardly know in real life, but now I just have to visit!
This is the 13th in the Libby series – and I’ve read and enjoyed them all. Lesley Cookman certainly hasn’t disappointed with the latest adventures of Libby and her friends. I just couldn’t put the book down, and as I have done with the other Libby books, read it in 2 or 3 sittings. Although the books can be read out of sequence, I do recommend reading them in order to get the most out of them. The characters have developed since the first book, and so has the writing - I’ve enjoyed the journey immensely – so much so I plan to re-read them all as a treat to myself this summer! I do wish I liked tea as much as Libby does (can’t stand the stuff) but I do like fresh coffee, and love all the talk of food and wine being a bit of a foodie myself!
Libby collects friends with each story, adding them to her group of friends, such is the warmth that flows through each book. Whilst reading I too feel part of that inner circle of Libby’s – she and her friends leap out of the pages of the book and surround me with their warmth. I adore them all – and can’t wait for the next book! Keep on writing please Lesley Cookman!

Snippets: almost a journal but not quite...
Snippets: almost a journal but not quite...
Price: 1.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Uplifting Read, 18 May 2014
This is so funny,a real laugh-out-loud read. I now understand why Christina's books are so funny, she obviously gets much of her material from her own life experiences! I heartily recommend this, it is amazingly uplifting. I sat in the garden howling with laughter as I read it...and that is very unusual for me. I might chuckle quietly at something funny in a book, but this had me rolling around! Loved it.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane
The Ocean at the End of the Lane
by Neil Gaiman
Price: 15.46

5.0 out of 5 stars a magical world....breathtaking, 13 Feb 2014
I absolutely adored this book - I love Neil Gaiman and this book didn't disappoint. What an amazing world he created in the Ocean at the End of the Lane. It filled me up as I immersed myself in his words, quite magical.
'I'm going to tell you something important. Grown-ups don't look like grown-ups on the inside either. Outside, they're big and thoughtless and they always know what they're doing. Inside, they look just like they always have. Like they did when they were your age. The truth is, there aren't any grown-ups. Not one, in the whole wide world.'
Too true...

An Enormously English Monsoon Wedding
An Enormously English Monsoon Wedding
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun romp through a berkshire village, 14 Nov 2013
My favourite so far from this author. It's such fun! Set in a Berkshire village, the relatives and friends of the groom take the village by storm aiming to create the most amazing Bollywood style wedding it has ever seen - to the horror of the bride! Funny and sad in parts, it appealed to me in particular because my son had been a best man at a similar 'fusion' style wedding. However I don't think that wedding had the same problems this one did. I heartily recommend this, it moves on quickly and I couldn't put it down!

A Stitch in Time (Choc Lit)
A Stitch in Time (Choc Lit)
Price: 2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun!, 6 Jun 2013
A perfect read for sitting outside in the sun! I will look for others published by choc-lit and by this author - will there be a sequel? I do hope so! Love time-travel!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 6, 2013 7:07 PM BST

THE GLASS GUARDIAN
THE GLASS GUARDIAN

5.0 out of 5 stars different and intriguing, 4 Jun 2013
Every time I pick up a book by this author I know after the very first page that I'm going to love it. I have read and enjoyed all of Linda Gillard's books so the expectation is there before I even begin - but I have never ever been disappointed. This novel, set in the beautiful Isle of Skye is very different from any of Linda Gillard's other works - and so intriguing. I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying it's a love affair with a ghost, a soldier from the first world war (but it is so much more than that!) I haven't read anything quite like it before - the end was very satisfying for me as a reader - but then Linda Gillard has never let me down before, so I knew I was in safe hands!

Wolf Night (Cassandra Bick Chronicles)
Wolf Night (Cassandra Bick Chronicles)
Price: 2.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic sequel!, 5 May 2013
I enjoyed this book even more than Dark Dates - and that wowed me! I couldn't imagine how Tracey Sinclair could conjure up a novel to equal the first of the series - how wrong I was! It has everything - the humour is there even through the very dark moments. All in all I loved it - a must read! (BUT You HAVE to read them in order!!! And don't cheat and read the short stories first you will regret it!!!)

The Boy Who Kissed The Sky
The Boy Who Kissed The Sky
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight!, 16 Feb 2013
Had to give this one 5 stars for the sheer enjoyment I had reading it. I loved it!

George goes on a journey of discovery - and I loved the way one idea of his led to an adventure, which led on to the next...great fun! George reminds me of Adrian Mole in the way that he is quite the innocent in many ways and because of this gets into all kinds of situations - either that or he is simply 'very strange'. Everything is linked and that added to my enjoyment of the book - and the desciptions of the food in each place visited was delightful, I could smell it & in my mind I was there with George.

I look forward to the next book by this author. This is the second I've read and both are good reads - each very different!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3