Profile for jr > Reviews

jr

Men Can Do It! The real reason dads don't do childcare
Men Can Do It! The real reason dads don't do childcare

4.0 out of 5 stars An eye opener, 13 July 2013
Just finished reading this book. It is a positively shocking eye opener on the realities of fatherhood. As a father of newborn twins I could not find myself living the same life and this book has given me answers to some of my questions. It is challenging as well, because we can take the easy route as dads and do what many of our colleagues and friends would do: to perpetuate inequality for mothers. My biggest fear is to ask my employer for some flexibility or part time alternative. I am lucky in a way because I have some flexibility. The other challenge is to review how I want to live with my children: with enough money or with some extra comfort. It is a challenge because I need to make sure I see work just as a means to an end, not an end in itself.

I do not give five stars to the book, just because I am a foreign dad living in the UK and I think being fair to me is just culturally natural. Some more reference to how diverse cultures tackle this issue of equality in parenting was missing. But that is the only criticism. The book is very inspirational.

Good luck Gideon with your health situation. And I will make sure I enjoy as much as I can my children. Thanks for the encouragement to be a different father.

Who Moved My Cheese: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life
by Spencer Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read and insightful, 10 Jun. 2013
I heard of this book and even recommended it before reading it. Once it arrived I read it in an hour or so and now am going back to see in more detail all the good insights it offers about change. Not staying 'put' or comfortable in life, learning continuously and being able to let go of old beliefs are key to embrace change.

JAY-BE Apollo Single Folding Bed with Sprung Slatted Base and Airflow Mattress
JAY-BE Apollo Single Folding Bed with Sprung Slatted Base and Airflow Mattress
Offered by The Guest Bed Warehouse

4.0 out of 5 stars good value for money, 10 Jun. 2013
simple to assemble, easy to fold and carry around bed. Mattress a bit too thin but problem has been solved by using a memory foam topper. If you are using the bed in wooden floors be careful at it can slip easily (good for movement but not good if you want the bed to stay firm). Other than that it is sturdy. Key thing to consider is to put the slates in the right way as indicated in the instructions.

Linens Limited Value Range Polypropylene Hollowfibre Anti-Allergy Duvet/Quilt, 4.5 Tog, Single
Offered by Linens Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars It is what is says in the tin, 10 Jun. 2013
good value for money product, light and comfortable, keeps good warmth during summer.

Only 'fault' is that I paid for express delivery only to receive it later than expected.

FATHERS POSTPARTUM DEPRESSION: Discover The Signs And Symptoms Of Little Known "Fathers Postpartum Depression" And What You Need To Do To Stop It (The Pregnancy Success Series Book 6)

3.0 out of 5 stars good but not enough advice, 8 Jun. 2013
The good thing about this book is that it acknowledges PPD in men. It gives some practical advice on how to cope with being a father. However, this advice is not enough. It is given on the basis of a man being able to think clearly and decide rationally. This is not the case of someone who experiences PPD. There is no guidance either about how to cope with work, other relationships with friends and relatives, and how to cultivate our inner energy through investing time in things that matter to us men. The first thing should be to stop beating ourselves up as men who can do everything. And then seek some help to have a plan that includes more advice than is currently given.

Systems Practice in the Information Society (Routledge Series in Information Systems)

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 30 May 2013
Concise and practical. It shows a new angle on systems thinking. Helpful for many audiences and a variety of situations.

LAMY safari Ballpoint Pen - Black
LAMY safari Ballpoint Pen - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good pen for everyday needs and to impress at the office, 3 Nov. 2012
I really like the pen, it is stylish and elegant and good value for money. Perhaps it is a bit smaller than the old LAMY pens I used to have, but maybe this is something to do with the new designs. It meets my everyday writing needs

Steps to an Ecology of Mind: Collected Essays in Anthropology, Psychiatry, Evolution, and Epistemology
by Gregory Bateson

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent collection, 13 Mar. 2012
EXCELLENT COLLECTION OF BATESON'S WORK. I am enjoying it so far. From a diversity of disciplines and areas of application of systems thinking.